TVServer crash on start after MySQL update from 8.0.28 to 8.0.29 (1 Viewer)

Andy_2639

Portal Member
February 25, 2017
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
I updated my MySQL server from 8.0.28 to 8.0.29 and now the tvservice crashes on start. The attached log doesn't give me a clue what's going wrong.
This affects MediaPortal 1.29 and 1.30 Pre-Release.

I did a packet capture of the communication with the tvservice and MySQL but cannot see anything obviously wrong there, too - however, I don't know the normal communication pattern between these two programs.

Currently, I'm running MySQL 8.0.29 for everything but MediaPortal and a second MySQL installation (8.0.28) on a different port for the MediaPortal tvservice. TVSetup doesn't respect the port setting in the gentle.config and tries to connect to my MySQL 8.0.29 instance.
On MediaPortal update, this caused the DbSetup dialog to appear - in which I cannot change the port. But it seems that DbSetup is able to communicate with my MySQL 8.0.29 instance after I setup the mediaportal user and DB!

So DbSetup and TVSetup isn't able to communicate with a MySQL instance on non-default port.
TVService isn't able to worh with MySQL 8.0.29 (but does work with 8.0.28).

Attachments

• TVService.log
    975 bytes

Andy_2639

Portal Member
February 25, 2017
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
I tried to switch to mariadb-10.6.8-winx64.msi - but still the same error: tvservice cannot start.

Attachments

• TVService.1.log
    975 bytes

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I tried to switch to mariadb-10.6.8-winx64.msi - but still the same error: tvservice cannot start.
    I am not an SQL expert, nor a TV Server expert. However, the user in this thread tried to use MariaDB. It might be worth readng if you have not already done so.

In your log file, the penultimate line is:

TvDatabase.TvBusinessLayer.GetSetting(String tagName, String defaultValue)

which suggests to me that some part of TV Server was trying to read a setting from an XML profile. Perhaps the profile for the "Gentle" component (whatever that is) is missing or corrupt. The user in this thread had a problem with the "Gentle.config" becoming corrupt. Maybe similar to your problem?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Andy_2639

Portal Member
    February 25, 2017
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tries MariaDB 10.5.16 - and it works.
    So TVService works fine with MySQL 8.0.28 and MariaDB 10.5.16 but crashes with MySQL 8.0.29 and MariaDB 10.6.8.

From the MariaDB 10.6 changes:
    Could one of these changes break TVService?

(My Gentle.config is fine.)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    So TVService works fine with MySQL 8.0.28 and MariaDB 10.5.16 but crashes with MySQL 8.0.29 and MariaDB 10.6.8.
    An excellent piece of investigative work (y). Thank you for taking the time to do this.

As to which SQL change might be causing the problem, I don't know (I have never done any SQL programming). It is also not clear that a fix to MP will be possible anytime soon. Perhaps @azzuro has some ideas?

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello @CyberSimian
    remember updating to latest MySQL was an issue with TVserver,
    but as i see, update is already done with MariaDB 10.5.16, and i'm not expert with DB.

sorry.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    @Andy_2639 : I regret to say that I don't think that this problem will be fixed. :(

As the years pass, the number of active members of the MP team steadily decreases, and as far as I know, there is no one in the current team who knows much about either SQL or TV Server. The problem will remain unfixed until someone who knows SQL joins the team.

For you, I think that you have two choices:
    • Accept that you can never update to a newer SQL on the system that runs MP.
    • Stop using MP and use some other media-center software instead.
    I know that this is not the answer that you wanted to hear, but I am just trying to be realistic and not give you false hope.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I have MariaDB 10.11.2 and look like TV Server work without problem ... Bu i try to look, If I forget, remind me.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Haven't looked into it in a while, doesn't seem to be working.
    [2023-04-12 20:57:00,616] [Log ] [4 ] [ERROR] - applyProcessPriority: exception is at Gentle.Common.Check.FailWith(Severity severity, Error error, Exception e, String msg)
    at Gentle.Common.Check.Fail(Exception e, Error error, Object[] args)
    at Gentle.Provider.MySQL.MySQLAnalyzer.Analyze(String tableName)
    at Gentle.Framework.GentleAnalyzer.UpdateObjectMap(ObjectMap map)
    at Gentle.Framework.ObjectFactory.ConstructMap(PersistenceBroker broker, Type type)
    at Gentle.Framework.ObjectFactory.GetMap(PersistenceBroker broker, Type type)
    at Gentle.Framework.SqlBuilder..ctor(IGentleProvider provider, StatementType stmtType, Type type, LogicalOperator logicalOperator)
    at TvDatabase.TvBusinessLayer.GetSetting(String tagName, String defaultValue)
    at TvService.Service1.applyProcessPriority()

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Could one of these changes break TVService?
    Looked at all the changes, at first glance they should not affect the TV Server's performance in any way.
    Today I will try to figure out why the TV server won't start for me and check. But my TV Server is empty and I am not using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom