TVServer now sees all non-FTA channels as scrambled on Canal digital Sat Swe ? (1 Viewer)

nickjay

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

I have been running MPE for some years, always using canal digital satellite services in Sweden.

We have been away and thus not used the TV system for a couple of weeks.

We tried to use it last night - to watch SVT1 - Channel Scrambled error, tried FTA like BBC News - works fine.
    Tested wioth the other client TC's, same issue.
    Tried testing using manual timeshift in the MPE setup _ channel scrambled.
    Ive rebooted, restarted, updated, phyiscally taken out, plugged in, no change.
    Ive used the guidance using the DD CineConfig, unselected, rebooted, reselected etc - all to no change.
    I spoke to CD here who said I had a paid for sub and should still have no issue with SD channels, at least and they re-issued the once a month entitlement update that allows the cards themselves to know what they can and should ask the CAM to decrypt - no change even hours later.
    Somewhat stumped, any ideas please ?
    I have ordered a new Technotech CX CAM to replace the very old Conax one I have - non-pairing, that will be here in a few days.
    Logs from TV Server - a dedicated machine attached.
    Thanks,
    nick

Attachments

• TVService-Error.zip
      2.3 MB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Nick

There are no unusual errors in the log files, so I suspect your smartcard/subscription needs to be reactivated. I know you said that CD reissued the entitlement update already... but that update would have been missed unless your tuner was timeshifting on the required frequency at the time that the update was issued. With that in mind: is it possible/likely that you missed the update?

I have ordered a new Technotech CX CAM to replace the very old Conax one I have - non-pairing, that will be here in a few days.
    I don't think that will help you.

Do you have a set top box that you can use to check the Conax CAM?
    ...and what about the CAM/CI menu - does that give you any messages?

mm

nickjay

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It is entirely possible we missed the update, but the thing that makes this so strange is the exact hardware/SW setup has been running for 9 months without any such issues, which would imply that the card had been updated in the normal line of use via MP, but we don't actually watch that much live TV so must have missed it before.

Does MP have any ability to force an update ?

Anyone know the frequency CN Sat Sweden uses to broadcast the updates ?

I'll try to find the stb, plug it in and see if that helps as well, but if it's needed monthly update that it supports even when off, how is this achieved in mp ?

Thanks,
    nick[DOUBLEPOST=1410793205][/DOUBLEPOST]Oops, and the CAM menu is somewhat feature lacking ;)

It shows the same very old subscription info it always has done, but under PPV Information and Tokens, it shows - No Entitlement and No Tokens, but this (from memory) also seems to be the same as always before.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Nick

It is entirely possible we missed the update, but the thing that makes this so strange is the exact hardware/SW setup has been running for 9 months without any such issues...
    I don't find it strange.

You say that the hardware and software have been working fine and I don't see anything wrong with them. It looks like the CAM simply can't decrypt because the smartcard activation/entitlements have lapsed. That happens when the card/CAM is not used for an extended period of time. Exactly how long that period is varies from provider to provider.

...which would imply that the card had been updated in the normal line of use via MP, but we don't actually watch that much live TV so must have missed it before.
    Yes, the entitlements are updated during normal use, though MP/TV Server don't have any direct involvement with that process. The CAM and/or smartcard handle it by themselves by monitoring the EMM streams. EPG grabbing and recording are also sufficient for updating, so you don't necessarily have to watch that much live TV in order for everything to continue working.

Does MP have any ability to force an update ?
    No. As above: MP has no involvement in the update process. It happens automatically during normal operation.

Anyone know the frequency CN Sat Sweden uses to broadcast the updates ?
    Not I.

I'll try to find the stb, plug it in and see if that helps as well, but if it's needed monthly update that it supports even when off, how is this achieved in mp ?
    In my experience the entitlement messages are usually cycled/repeated to ensure that all cards get the messages. So in normal circumstances you wouldn't have to worry about any of this. Simply using the TV as you normally would should be enough. If you were really concerned and knew the frequency which carries the updates then you could schedule a regular recording... but again that should not be necessary usually.

Probably the reason the updates are not being picked up now is because TV is not running for long enough during the ~15 second tuning process to enable the messages to be received, or because the channels you're tuning to aren't on a frequency that carries the messages.

Regards,
    mm

nickjay

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Hmmm, makes complete sense.

Do you think having the card refresh the DVB EPG might help it receive the updates ?

I don't seem to have any STB left as we've used MP for years with it now.

Thanks,
    nick

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Do you think having the card refresh the DVB EPG might help it receive the updates ?
    Yes. DVB EPG grabbing doesn't require successful decryption, and grabbing can run for several minutes which makes it more likely that the card gets the required updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom