TVServer stops 'serving'...? (1 Viewer)

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thank you, Homey.

mm, any other thoughts here? I don't see any errors on the server's event logs. I doubt I should need an ssd for my timeshift folder, but I may consider it. I suppose I can increase the minimum number of files to make the condition potentially less frequent. Or, I could go back troubleshooting rtsp... hmm.

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Did you look into RamDisk options already (before buying an SSD)?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...omization/TV-Server/Ramdisk_for_Timeshifting?

I actually played with this a while ago and was impressed, but with HD video and only 6GB of RAM in my Windows 7 'server', it didn't allow me to pause TV for too long, but I did notice a second or two of speed improvement channel tuning with the RAMdisk in place. I figure an SSD would be somewhat comparable from user perception.

Otherwise, my network is all gigabit - with an 8 port D-link switch in the basement where the server plugs in, with CAT6 running from that switch to my gigabit ethernet/wireless router/firewall. I have toyed with the idea of putting another switch on the client end (client connects to a gigabit port on the firewall) to eliminate the possibility of the firewall's built-in switch from causing unforeseen issues, but it still seems like the issue here is more server / OS related, I suppose. I may try to do some more research on SMB-related issues on the web when I get a chance.

Thank you for the suggestion! If you guys think of any other avenues I may not be thinking of, please let me know.

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Okay... I was reviewing everything tonight while doing a reconfiguration project, and I now am hoping I see the error I made. The registry change I applied in this thread only affects the LanManServer, not the client. So, essentially, I'm thinking I disabled the SMB2.0 server on my CLIENT PC, not the LanManClient. So, to try to fully disable SMB2.0, I have now made the registry change on both the server and client PC's to disable SMB2.0 from "Server" services, and also did the command line change listed near the bottom which disables SMB2.0 in the LanManClient on both my client and server. I am hopeful this will finally resolve the issue.

One other change I made tonight was to add an additional 8GB of memory to my server, for a total of 16GB. I then installed SoftPerfect RAMDisk, created a 10GB disk for timeshifting, and moved all of my tuners to use this new RAM Disk for timeshifting. Since I have up to three clients, I chose to start with 6 files minimum, 6 files maximum at 500MB to give me approximately 30 minutes of HD timeshifting per client. The interesting thing I am seeing is that the first channel change after a reboot is the same speed as it always has been... maybe 5-6 seconds with the HD-PVR, but a subsequent channel change seems to take considerably less time, around 2-3 seconds. It really shouldn't be faster from everything I have read, but I'll take the performance boost ;)

I'll post back in a couple days to let everyone know if this did, indeed, resolve this issue.

Thank you again to both mm and HomeY for all of your help, I really appreciate it! :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The interesting thing I am seeing is that the first channel change after a reboot is the same speed as it always has been... maybe 5-6 seconds with the HD-PVR...
    A large component of that is loading the tuner. If you enable preloading for the HD-PVR, it should take the same time as any other channel change.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...nfiguration/02_TV_Servers#Edit_Tuner_Settings

...but a subsequent channel change seems to take considerably less time, around 2-3 seconds. It really shouldn't be faster from everything I have read, but I'll take the performance boost ;)
    I would expect that. Sounds normal to me.

I'll post back in a couple days to let everyone know if this did, indeed, resolve this issue.
    Hope it works out... :)

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Two full days, and no freezes. This is awesome :)

Thank you both for your efforts - I greatly appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom