TVservice does not delete recording files from NAS disk (1 Viewer)

wawa79

Portal Pro
December 9, 2008
Niort
Home Country
France France
Hello,

When I delete a TV recording in MP, it is dropped from the database but the file is not deleted from the disk. This fills my NAS disks until TV server crashes. Then I clear the NAS, uninstall TV server, then MP, reinstalling MP, spend hours to set it up back... you know the story...

This happens since I changed my recording folder to a NAS (path is UNC: \\mynetwork\myNAS\mySharedFolder). The issue was already there with MP 1.2.2, 1.2.3 and is still in 1.3.0b. The tv.log shows no error when deleting a file... but the file is actually NOT deleted!
A temporary workaround would be to set quotas but it is impossible when shares are UNC style. And mapping share as network drive makes TVService (more) unreliable.

Despite they were no user rights defined on the NAS (everybody can read/write), I followed an advice found on the forum. I set TVService to run with sufficient rights (administrator) and defined corresponding user on the NAS with read+write access. On the NAS log, I can see the user logging correctly when I delete a file... but the file is still there. Of course, deleting from windows explorer works fine for this user.

So what is happening? Why, at least, the DeleteRecordingOnDisk function does not report an error?? Thank you for your support!

wawa79

Portal Pro
December 9, 2008
Niort
Home Country
France France
I fortuitously found the cause of the "non delete" behaviour of theTV server: despite the shared folder of the NAS has Read+Write permissions, it reports "special permission" under WinXP/Win7... and TV server expects "Full control" over the recording folder.

Any clue why does TV server require full access? Wouldn't read+write permissions be sufficient?

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Errors are written to error.loig file instead of tv.log file, so you need to attach or check error.log file.

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    Errors are written to error.loig file instead of tv.log file, so you need to attach or check error.log file.
    Well, the issue is that Mp does not write or raise any error: it just deletes the program from the database and when I look on that NAS, the file is still there. And I can delete it from Windows Explorer...

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    I found an non-satisfying workaround: when the NAS share is owned by the user account running MP, then MP can delete files. But to change ownership, I had to reset and reformat the NAS...
    It would be more convenient if MP would accept to delete files when the share has 'only' read/write permissions...

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    I created test console application to see what MP finds in your recording folder. Just run test app under TV service account in console window with command
    Code:
    Test.exe "RecordingFileName" > output.txt
    e.g. from your logs:
    Code:
    Test.exe "\\DISQUEVIDEO\Volume_1\Enregistrements\France 5\C à vous\C à vous - 2013-01-10_1.ts" > output.txt
    In same folder as test app will be created file output.txt, please attach it here.

Attachments

• Test.zip
      2.3 KB
    Last edited:

wawa79

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2008
    Niort
    Home Country
    France France
    Some news with test application?
    Sorry for the delay. I have had to reinstall MP last week (once more...) because Live TV started not working again (loosing channels, stuttering...). Now all is back to normal.
    I run the test but I can no longer reproduce the issue as I reformatted the NAS so the user accounts match between W7 and NAS. So your test file just lists properly all files from the recording folder.
    I tried to map MP recording folder to a 2nd similar NAS I use for music but there is no issue on this one as all folders belong to a 'nobody' linux user on the NAS server side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom