TvService Keeps stopping (1 Viewer)

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
October 27, 2015
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Hi,

I perfomed a retune tonight to pick up some channel moves (UK Freeeview).

Basically I deleted the some channels and ran a new scan.

Now the TvService process keeps dying.

It seems to run for a few minutes then dies, and I don't even need to be watching TV for it to die.
It just dies on it's own. :-(

It was all running okay before I rescanned - never seen this issue at all.

So I assume something got corrupted, don't know what.

But how do I fix it - I think the simplest solution would be to re-initialise the config, but how?

I have deleted all the Tv channels again, rebooted, rescanned but I can't seem to get it stable again, and I can't watch TV. :-((

Do I need to do a re-install.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Stephen, please provide log files. Without them nobody can have any idea what's going on, and therefore it's not possible to answer your questions or make any intelligent recommendations.

Use MediaPortal's Watchdog tool with option 3 ("export...") to collect the logs into a zip, then attach the zip file to this thread "upload a file".

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
    October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Stephen, please provide log files. Without them nobody can have any idea what's going on, and therefore it's not possible to answer your questions or make any intelligent recommendations.

Use MediaPortal's Watchdog tool with option 3 ("export...") to collect the logs into a zip, then attach the zip file to this thread "upload a file".

Thanks, but I was hoping for a quick fix, like an re-initialise, or delete DB or something that will get be back running quick....

The day is near done here, so I want to try a couple more things, then I'll see if I can get logs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks, but I was hoping for a quick fix, like an re-initialise, or delete DB or something that will get be back running quick....
    Well, recreating the database would be the only way to reinitialise. However that's not guaranteed to help, and you'd also lose all settings, channels and schedules. Therefore it's usually better to figure out what the problem actually is and do only what's needed to solve it.

...so I want to try a couple more things...
    I would not recommend messing around. It's very likely you'll make the problem worse.

...then I'll see if I can get logs.
    It takes 30 seconds to grab these. Please enable me to help you rather than wasting your own time and energy guessing what's wrong.

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
    October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    ...then I'll see if I can get logs.
    It takes 30 seconds to grab these. Please enable me to help you rather than wasting your own time and energy guessing what's wrong.[/QUOTE]

OK - you convinced me - logs attached.

The only actions I took were to disable the tuner and enable/rescan for channels.
    My system specs are stored in my profile.

Let me know if I forgot anything.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Interesting.

In addition to what you said you'd done, some Windows updates were installed at 6 AM on 2 March:
    [collapse]
    "2016-03-02 06:06:47";"Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient";"(2)";"Information";"Installation Ready: The following updates have been downloaded and are ready to be installed:
    - Microsoft.Media.PlayReadyClient.2
    - 12680davesmits.ClockTile
    - Microsoft.ZuneMusic
    - Microsoft.BingNews
    - Microsoft.BingWeather
    - Microsoft.WindowsReadingList
    - Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink
    - Microsoft.BingWeather
    - Microsoft.ZuneMusic
    - Microsoft.BingNews
    - Microsoft.SkypeApp
    - Microsoft.BingFinance
    - Microsoft.BingMaps
    - Microsoft.HelpAndTips
    - Microsoft.BingNews
    - Microsoft.BingFinance
    - Microsoft.BingTravel
    - Microsoft.WindowsAlarms
    - Microsoft.WindowsScan
    - Microsoft.WinJS.2.0
    - Microsoft.BingFinance
    - Microsoft.ZuneMusic
    - Microsoft.BingWeather
    - Microsoft.Reader
    - Microsoft.BingHealthAndFitness
    - Microsoft.ZuneVideo
    - Microsoft.ZuneMusic
    - Microsoft.BingSports
    - Microsoft.ZuneVideo
    - Microsoft.BingFoodAndDrink
    - microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps
    - Microsoft.ZuneVideo";"17"[/collapse]

Some services were installed as well:
    "2016-03-02 18:33:33";"Service Control Manager";"(0)";"Information";"A service was installed in the system. Service Name: arrfeabr Service File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ngiodriver_x64 Service Type: kernel mode driver Service Start Type: demand start Service Account: ";"1073748869"
    "2016-03-02 18:33:33";"Service Control Manager";"(0)";"Information";"A service was installed in the system. Service Name: wugufxnw Service File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ngiodriver_x64 Service Type: kernel mode driver Service Start Type: demand start Service Account: ";"1073748869"

I'm not sure if those are connected, but the problem does appear to have started that evening:
    "2016-03-02 20:21:16";"Service Control Manager";"(0)";"Error";"The TVService service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).";"3221232506"

Unfortunately the TV Server log level is set to "warning" so I can't see what the TV Server was doing at the time of each crash, and therefore I can't make any judgement about whether the crashes are internally triggered (eg. by an error in TV Server itself) or externally triggered (eg. by something like AVAST deciding TV Server is malware and killing it).

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
    October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Unfortunately the TV Server log level is set to "warning" so I can't see what the TV Server was doing at the time of each crash, .

I turned on Debug logging for TvService, and have attached the logs.
    The TvServer crash was around 18:49:30 or so.

I have been using Avast for the whole time I have used Media Porta (~6 months now) with no issue.
    It was all working ok until I performed a channel delete and re-tune last night.

Any and Windows updates must have been done by windows in the background.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks (y)

It looks to me like you have a rogue schedule - a schedule for a channel that no longer exists - and that is causing the TV Server to fail to start.
    [collapse]
    [2016-03-03 18:45:38,466] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - TvControllerException: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at TvDatabase.Schedule.GetProgramsForSchedule(Schedule schedule)
    at TvDatabase.Schedule.SynchProgramStates(Int32 idSchedule)
    at TvDatabase.Schedule.SynchProgramStatesForAll()
    at TvService.TVController.InitController()
    at TvDatabase.Schedule.GetProgramsForSchedule(Schedule schedule)
    at TvDatabase.Schedule.SynchProgramStates(Int32 idSchedule)
    at TvDatabase.Schedule.SynchProgramStatesForAll()
    at TvService.TVController.InitController()[/collapse]
    [2016-03-03 18:45:38,466] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: Failed to initialize TVServer

Therefore I would guess that the deleting of channels that you did is somehow the cause of this problem. It's odd because the schedules associated with channels are meant to be deleted when channels are deleted.

Do you remember where/how you did the channel deletion?

Unfortunately there's no easy way to solve this problem directly.
    You have 2 options:
    1. I could supply semi-technical instructions that you could follow to solve the problem with minimal loss of settings, channels, schedules etc.
    2. You could follow the instructions -->here<-- to create a new database. You would lose all settings, channels, schedules etc.

Stephen O'Kane

Portal Member
    October 27, 2015
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Do you remember where/how you did the channel deletion?
    I went into Tv Server Configuration
    Then in TV Channels, in 'All Channels' Tab, I selected the channels from there, then right click "Delete this channel"

Then in TV Servers, I selected by tuner and hit 'Scan for channels' and it picked them all back up.

I did have to update some channel numbers, then deleted the Adult channels again.

Maybe there is a better way to do a retune?

Unfortunately there's no easy way to solve this problem directly.
    You have 2 options:
    1. I could supply semi-technical instructions that you could follow to solve the problem with minimal loss of settings, channels, schedules etc.
    2. You could follow the instructions -->here<-- to create a new database. You would lose all settings, channels, schedules etc.

I don't mind re-creating the DB (option 2). All schedules where lost when I deleted the channels, a scan doesn't take long, and most of my settings where standard anyway.

I'll try that later, and let you know how I get on,

Thanks for taking the time.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I went into Tv Server Configuration...
    Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the code and see if I can work out what went wrong.

Maybe there is a better way to do a retune?
    I don't think so. It may be safer to delete channels from the first tab (ie. not one of the channel group tabs such as "all channels"). However I'm clutching at straws a bit when I say that. Normally what you did should work fine. I wonder if there were extenuating circumstances. For example, is it possible that a schedule was recording at the time you did the delete/rescan?

Thanks for taking the time.
    No problem. I'm happy to help, and sorry for the hassle caused by TV Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom