TVService locks up or fails to restart on resuming from sleep, and crashes when grabbing EPG (1 Viewer)

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
February 27, 2011
Hello folks,
I recently upgraded from Win7 to Win10, and have had some problems with MediaPortal, the main problem was my TVServer wasn't accessible, and renaming it in the database didn't fix it, so I decided to do a full uninstall and reinstall hoping that would sort out the issues. Now it is working normally, but TVService keeps locking up, which stops it working, this mostly happens when resuming from sleep, which means that it is missing most of the recordings. I have attached some logs from when it MP wasn't responding, and was wondering if somebody has any suggestions about how to resolve this.
Any suggestions appreciated.

UPDATE: TVService is now crashing when trying to update the EPG - logs attached.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_15_02_20__00_38.zip
    1.3 MB
  • MediaPortalLogs_23_02_20__13_23 EPG grab crash.zip
    1.2 MB
Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am no expert at reading MP log files, but your logs seem to be full of errors relating to "MySQL". In particular, "TV Server" seems unable to find the MySQL server. This might mean that MySQL is not installed, or that the ports that TV Server uses to communicate with the MySQL server are being blocked by the Windows firewall.

As I understand it, the MP installer specifies to the firewall software which ports the MP client and TV Server should be allowed to use. I have never had manually to specify these ports (on Windows 7), so I regret that I do not know where you go from here. Completely disable whatever firewall software you are using, perhaps?

Alternatively, re-install Windows 7.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2011
    Thanks for the response CyberSimian, unfortunately I can't reinstall Win7 as it was already installed, and I don't have the installer, besides I need to be on Win10 for security updates, etc.
    Unfortunately, I am still having issues with TV Server not being accessible to MediaPortal, which means that I am constantly having to end the process, and then restart it (using TV Server config) to get MP to respond/record. Attached is a set of logs from it in its unresponsive state, if that helps anybody diagnose the issue(s).
    I was hoping that having done a full uninstall and reinstall , it be stable, but maybe the issue is with Tv service, is it possible to repair/reinstall that ?
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_14_03_20__19_00 No Response.zip
      2 MB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I was hoping that having done a full uninstall and reinstall
    Your logs are again full of errors relating to MySQL. All I can suggest is that you do a FULL uninstall and re-install. By FULL uninstall I mean:

(1) Uninstall MediaPortal.
    (2) Uninstall TV Server.
    (3) Uninstall MySQL.

(4) Enter the "C:\Program Files\" folder and delete:
    (a) MediaPortal folder.
    (b) MySQL folder.

(5) Enter the "C:\ProgramData\" folder and delete:
    (a) MediaPortal folder.
    (b) MySQL folder.

(6) Use "RegEdit" to delete all keys relating to MediaPortal, TV Server, and MySQL.

(7) Make sure that your HTPC (server and clients) have fixed IP addresses.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    on the other hand: is it working normally after a fresh start?
    It could be the case that Mysql wastn't completely spun up completely after a wakeup when the tvservice needed it.
    Don't know exactly how, but I remember you could set some dependencies for services. so tv service should be dependent on mysql.
    Also don't know if that is going to work for sleep/resume, but I think at least it should work for shutdown/restart

Dark Eyes

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2011
    I have followed CyberSimian 's advice, but I'm still getting the similar issues. Something that is now happening, is that TV Server thinks it is still recording even after it has actually finished, and closed the ts file. Looking in the logs (attached) I can see a lot of MySql timeout errors;
    TvService.Scheduler.SchedulerWorker()MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException (0x80004005): Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    As usual, the only way to get MP back to 'normal' is to kill and restart TV Service. If I test the Data Connection in MP Config, it is goes green.
    I have a good look through the forums, and the Wiki and can't seem to find a solution to these issues.
    I think the previous installation of MP (under Win7) might have used the Microsoft Loopback Device, would re-configuring that likely to help the situation?

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_16_03_20__01_05 Active Recording 4 hours after finished.zip
      892.4 KB

doskabouter

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 27, 2009
    Nuenen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hm, I think this needs attention (from eventlog):
    "15/03/2020 22:33:23";"disk";"(0)";"Error";"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.";"3221487623"
    And this (also from eventlog) is when the tvservice errors started appearing:
    "15/03/2020 22:45:09";"Tcpip";"(0)";"Warning";"TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint.";"2147487875"

No idea as to what exactly it's complaining about and how to solve it, but perhaps this is a starting point?
    As far as I can tell Mysql was working perfectly fine until 22:45:09...

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Hm, I think this needs attention (from eventlog):
    "15/03/2020 22:33:23";"disk";"(0)";"Error";"The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.";"3221487623"
    Good catch. (y)

When the OS encounters a bad disk block during a read or a write, it repeats the operation many many times to see if the operation will succeed. I recollect seeing the value of 100 times (but that may not be accurate). The OS does this for each block. If there are many defective blocks, the system slows down due to all of these retries, and that slow down might be the cause of the SQL timeout errors.

@Dark Eyes should try "chkdsk.exe" with the "/f" and "/v" options. It should fix errors in the file system, and if you look at the summary at the end it should tell you how many defective blocks there are (but since this is the OS disk, you will need to watch the screen carefully since the summary will remain on screen for only a moment or two before the system reboots). However, you may get a more comprehensive check if you use the disk check program produced by the manufacturer of your disk.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom