TVservice Multicast (1 Viewer)

Steven81

Portal Pro
March 29, 2010
Hi, for some days now I'm trying to stream Live TV over my network something which I have achieved with some relevant ease.

What I really want -though- is to be able to use TVservice in multiple client-PCs over the network. That is to say if the wife wishes to watch TV on the HTPC I want to be able to remotely connect to the HTPC (which I can do through RDP) and have my DVB-T card (or TVservice) play remotely a *different* channel.

In other words I want MP's TVservice to play two or three different streams (if possible). I have Windows 7 on all the PCs I wish to use for this purpose.

Thanks for your attention.

PS: If I attempt to use my DVB-T card remotely -currently- it interrupts the MP/TV-service stream and THEN broadcasts a new stream to the remote PC. Partly that's why I want to use the same service (MP's one preferably) to Multicast.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Steven81

First thing: there are rules when posting in support forums. Please remember that for next time...

Okay, onto your question. So you have a couple of clients connecting to your TV Server via RDP, and you want to be able to watch different channels in the various RDP sessions?

To be honest I have never heard of anyone who wanted to set up multi client with RDP. Generally it is done with RTSP streaming and by installing MediaPortal (without the TV Server) on each client PC that will want to connect to the TV Server. In other words, you have TV Server installed on one computer, and MediaPortal installed on multiple computers.

Before I get too carried away here, let me ask you three questions:
    1. Am I correct - you are currently having multiple users RDP into the TV Server and watching MediaPortal from within their RDP sessions?
    2. Have you chosen to use RDP for a particular reason, or were you unaware of any other way to create a multi-client setup?
    3. How many tuners do you have? A dual tuner card/device counts as two...

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    Hi,

First of I must say that I'm unaware of how I was unable to follow the posting rules. Next time I'll try my best to do so. Thanks for your answer anyhow...

Now to your questions:
    1,2) Yes that is correct, I use RDP to connect to the "host" PC (my HTPC). The reason I've chosen RDP is because it gives almost complete control over the host PC which comes in handy when it is something else I want to do to other than watching TV. If however it's proved impossible to do so through RDP I'll change my ways...
    3)I have one tuner which has an Analogue and a DVB-T module. However I had disabled its analogue part since the only signal which is useful in my place is the Digital one...

As for RTSP streaming, is it compatible with other platforms like IOS and/or android (mobile platforms)? I would had preferred if I was able to stream to such devices as well...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The reason I've chosen RDP is because it gives almost complete control over the host PC which comes in handy when it is something else I want to do to other than watching TV. If however it's proved impossible to do so through RDP I'll change my ways...
    I think it may be impossible. So far as I am aware TV Server bases all its tuner allocation on computers as clients, not user accounts. This means that any user logged into the same PC appears to be the same user to TV Server, no matter whether they are in separate log in sessions. Hopefully that makes sense to you...

3)I have one tuner which has an Analogue and a DVB-T module. However I had disabled its analogue part since the only signal which is useful in my place is the Digital one...
    Okay, that sounds alright as long as you are aware that the users can only watch/record more than one channel at once when they're on the same mux. Of course multiple users can watch/record the same channel. Again, I hope that makes sense.

As for RTSP streaming, is it compatible with other platforms like IOS and/or android (mobile platforms)? I would had preferred if I was able to stream to such devices as well...
    Yes, I believe it should be. RTSP is quite a well supported streaming format. Selecting what channel you want to watch is going to be the key. With MediaPortal you actually need a front end to enable you to select the channel you want to watch. This is why I mentioned that most people usually install MediaPortal on multiple computers. You might want to do some research on iPiMP...

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    I think it may be impossible. So far as I am aware TV Server bases all its tuner allocation on computers as clients, not user accounts. This means that any user logged into the same PC appears to be the same user to TV Server, no matter whether they are in separate log in sessions. Hopefully that makes sense to you....

I think I do understand, I believe that that is why when I interrupt from a *different* user it stops responding to the rest of the users as well...

Okay, that sounds alright as long as you are aware that the users can only watch/record more than one channel at once when they're on the same mux. Of course multiple users can watch/record the same channel. Again, I hope that makes sense.
    By that -I think- you mean that I cannot use the total of the channels when someone else streams through it (correct me if I'm wrong).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think I do understand, I believe that that is why when I interrupt from a *different* user it stops responding to the rest of the users as well...
    That is my guess...

By that -I think- you mean that I cannot use the total of the channels when someone else streams through it (correct me if I'm wrong).
    An example may help to explain this. Lets say you have access to 2 DVB-T muxes:

Mux 1
    --------
    - channel a
    - channel b
    - channel c

Mux 2
    --------
    - channel d
    - channel e
    - channel f

If one user starts watching channel a, as many other users as you like (or more correctly: as your HDD and network speeds can support) can also watch/record channel a or channel b or channel c. In other words, any channels on mux 1 can be watched or recorded. Channels d, e and f on mux 2 can't be watched or recorded without stopping everyone else from watching/recording whatever they are watching/recording.

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    Are the muxes determined by the Frequency I receive my channels? For example I receive 4 channels from 506MHz, another 4 from 514MHz, etc...

I would only be able to watch the channels of the same frequency (is what you say?), yet if I try to tune to a channel from 514MHz (frequency), it'll interrupt what I was seeing at the 506Mhz one, etc?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are the muxes determined by the Frequency I receive my channels? For example I receive 4 channels from 506MHz, another 4 from 514MHz, etc...

I would only be able to watch the channels of the same frequency (is what you say?), yet if I try to tune to a channel from 514MHz (frequency), it'll interrupt what I was seeing at the 506Mhz one, etc?

Exactly right :)
    Frequency = mux (sorry I should have used a term that would have been easier to understand).

The limitation is a physical limitation. A tuner simply can't tune to more than one frequency at once, however it can provide all the channels that are on the same frequency without any problem.

Steven81

Portal Pro
    March 29, 2010
    OK thank you that was what I was looking for.
    I'll see what I'll be able to do.

Again thank you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom