UK: Atlas shutting down Radio Times feed from June 16 & also stopping free access to MetaBroadcast

Discussion in 'xmlTV' started by hucknallred, May 17, 2016.

1. hucknallred

hucknallred Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    Well it seems the party is well & truly over.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lisag
    • Premium Supporter

lisag Retired Team Member

Social Work
    Ratings:
    +183 / 1
    Home Country:
    Yes, I got that email also this evening. :(

I don't understand who would only 'need' 24 hours of data at a time?!

I will miss the Radio Times data as although the channel line up is limited, I use it for the main channels only as the quality of data is very good, with season and episode numbers, and repeat flags, which help enormously in scheduling (I use Argus TV).
    I then let DVB EPG OTA data fill in the remaining fringe channels.

A quick look around at possible comparable alternatives include bleb, tvguide, and it looks like Schedules Direct are now saying they support European Countries including Great Britain.

I need to find some free time to set up a test system and try all of these out, I'l report back if / when I find anything interesting!

4. hucknallred

hucknallred Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    Show System Specs
    Before Atlas I was paying for Digiguide, at £14.99 a year it's nothing really & good data. I presume they still do the xmltv feed for payers? There is a free 7 day trial too.

5. lisag
    • Premium Supporter

Social Work
    Ratings:
    +183 / 1
    Home Country:
    Ah, yes, I have used them before, for a year I think, when Radio Times started to no longer be updated. Using their data as xmltv is in fact against their terms and conditions, not that I think anyone cares, but the main downside was no episode or season numbers. I raised this issue with them and they said there was not a high enough demand. I am very particular about wanting episode and season numbers! It helps a lot with advanced scheduling, plus I can set Argus to record episodes in the correct format for importing into TV Series (eg Marcella s01e06).

6. lisag
    • Premium Supporter

Social Work
    Ratings:
    +183 / 1
    Home Country:
    Update: Everything else is rubbish :confused:

It seems that only the RadioTimes XMLTV data includes info as detailed as...eg.. Marcella Season 1 episode 6 of 8.

Schedules Direct is okay, a high proportion of programmes do include (S01E06) in the data, but none have the last bit, eg of 8.

Bleb (which is free) is possibly the next best compromise, there aren't many channels supported, but just enough for my needs, and the data is a bit hit and miss but a fair few entries do have eg 6/8 which is something.

For now, I am going to continue with XMLTV GUI and just switch from RadioTimes to Bleb, and hope something better will come along in time.

I'd be very interested to hear what everyone else does!

7. wjw

wjw Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Home Country:
    Hi,

I have also been using XMLTV with the Radio Times feed, and also would really like to get Series/Episode data with to use with the TvWishList plugin (sorts out repeats perfectly).

Has anyone set up XMLTVGui tp work with Digiguide? Digiguide does seem to provide Series etc. data, but I can't see how to use it with XMLTVGui and the Birtles website doesn't provide any help here.

Have looked briefly at Bleb, but this looks pretty basic, with no Series info.

8. lisag
    • Premium Supporter

Social Work
    Ratings:
    +183 / 1
    Home Country:
    I have used Digiguide before with XMLTV GUI, about two years ago, but can't remember how to do it! I'll look at it again and see if I can figure it out. From what I remember it didn't have the season / episode info, but might be worth another look then, maybe it's improved.

9. wjw

wjw Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Home Country:
    Update on the above. The Birtles website does provide some help, but I still have a problem as there is reference to the downloading of a DG2XML skin to be used in conjunction with the XMLTVGui grabber and the Digiguide web service. I can't find this anywhere. Can anyone help here please?

10. lisag
    • Premium Supporter

Social Work
    Ratings:
    +183 / 1
    Home Country:
  11. wjw

wjw Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Home Country:
    Thanks for that, I had found it but I was mis-interpreting the setup instructions - not for the first time!

Anyway got it working and have successfully used the Birtles grabber to download data from Digiguide into the XMLTV file. Unfortunately, although the Digiguide data does contain Series and Episode info. (at least it does show those data within Digiguides own display), it looks as though the XMLTVGui tool isn't picking them up and loading them into the XMLTV file.

So I'm not sure where to go from here. Schedules Direct perhaps?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!