UK - BBC2 EPG suddenly has several programs daily with 'No information' (1 Viewer)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Since yesterday, 2nd February 2019, and today, UK - BBC2 EPG has several programs with 'No information'. I guess this is a UK issue and am wondering if there is anything I can do to correct this, or is this beyond our control.

The television inbuilt EPG is displaying all programs for BBC2. so I expect the issue is with the WebEPG feed.

I look forward to hearing from anyone about this, urgently :).

P.S. Just a thought, if I edited the database to manually enter the program names and times, would MediaPortal adopt my changes or would it revert beck to the EPG entries.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    The television inbuilt EPG is displaying all programs for BBC2. so I expect the issue is with the WebEPG feed.
    I am curious -- what is the advantage in using WebEPG instead of the broadcast EPG? Your TV and my MP both use the broadcast EPG, and there are no gaps that I can see.

The advantages of using the broadcast EPG are:
    (1) It does not require an internet connection.
    (2) It has the capability to be updated a short notice (e.g. when schedules change due to overrunning live sport or cataclysmic world events).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

Thanks for getting back to me so speedily.

I just assumed that WebEPG was the way to go because it is in the MediaPortal TV server configuration.

How do I setup MediaPortal for broadcast EPG?

Tony

P.S. Sorry to show my ignorance, but I've looked at TV Server Configuration and am looking at the DVB EPG section. There does not seem to be a scheduler for that (like there is in WebEPG section). How often does MediaPortal refresh the database when using broadcast EPG? Also, if I switch to using broadcast EPG do I need to clear down the existing database programs before switching?

Thank you for your info. I keep learning something new... though maybe not everyday.

P.S. Version 2 - Doh! I see where to schedule the broadcast EPG. I'm doing some testing of this on one of my other machines. Thanks again.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    How do I setup MediaPortal for broadcast EPG?
    The point to remember about the broadcast EPG in the UK is that all MUXes contain the EPG for all channels (although not in the same order). So you need to tune to only one channel in order to receive the full EPG for all TV channels and all radio channels. I recommend "BBC1" or "BBC1 HD".

The time to acquire a full EPG is variable -- it may take up to 10 minutes to receive the EPG, then perhaps 5-20 minutes to update the SQL database. My system has an HDD (not an SSD), so it tends to be at the 20-minute end of the range.

To receive the EPG, there are two choices:
    (1) Receive EPG only when no tuners are in use.
    (2) Receive EPG only when receiving a programme (live TV or recording).

You can select (1), or (2), or both. You need (2) to receive last-minute programme changes. However, I use only (1), as (2) possibly caused some problems on my system.

Both (1) and (2) have a refresh interval that you can specify. If the EPG has not been refreshed within that interval, "TV Server" will refresh the EPG at the first opportunity thereafter. So you will sometimes notice that your HTPC continues running after you have finished using it. This is because "TV Server" is refreshing the EPG. Your HTPC will sleep when the refresh is finished.

If "PowerScheduler" is defined to wake up overnight (to receive the EPG via the internet), that can be continued or discontinued. If continued, "TV Server" will receive the broadcast EPG overnight, and then sleep. If discontinued, "TV Server" will receive the broadcast EPG when the HTPC is next woken (by the user, or for a recording). Don't forget to disable WebEPG!

The following post gives details on setting up "EPG Grabbing" in "TV Server":
    EPG for DVB-T not working

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

Thanks again for that detailed explanation. Your time is much appreciated.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

Sorry to bother you again, but I need some clarification. When you suggest that tune only to one channel for the broadcast EPG. Do you mean on the following screen?

upload_2019-2-3_11-22-47.png

Should I enable the 'Store data only for selected channels' and only select on channel from the left-hand list?

I'm a wee bit confused about using the 'Store data only for selected channels' option. If I select 'store data' and only select one channel, say BBC1, will the EPG only grab BBC1 programs?

Thank you for your patience.

Tony

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    When you suggest that tune only to one channel for the broadcast EPG. Do you mean on the following screen?
    Yes; you should deselect all channels except for the one that you are going to use to receive the EPG (I recommend "BBC1" or "BBC1 HD"). You should do the same for the radio channels on a later panel.

Should I enable the 'Store data only for selected channels' and only select on channel from the left-hand list?
    No; you should disable that setting. There is a subtley here that is not apparent from the words on the various panels.

If that setting is enabled, you would need to select all of the channels whose EPG you wanted. But if you did that, "TV Server" would receive the EPG one channel at a time. Example: it would tune to "BBC1" and receive the entire EPG for "BBC1" (throwing away the EPG for the other channels), then it would tune to "BBC2" and receive the entire EPG for "BBC2" (throwing away the EPG for the other channels), then it would tune to "BBC4" and so on. So instead of receiving the entire EPG once, "TV Server" would receive the entire EPG n times (where n is the number of channels that you have selected).

The post that I linked gives the detailed instructions (although not the detailed explanation!):
    EPG for DVB-T not working

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    You should do the same for the radio channels on a later panel.
    Correction: you should deselect all channels on the radio panel, because their EPGs will be received by tuning to the TV channel that you have selected. (Sorry about that!)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

I've followed the instructions in EPG for DVB-T not working. This process seems to clear the programs table immediately. Is that because I had also selected 'Always try to update existing entries' or is this the standard behaviour?

I'm a bit concerned that the program table be cleared.

Tony

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    This process seems to clear the programs table immediately. Is that because I had also selected 'Always try to update existing entries' or is this the standard behaviour?
    Clearing the existing EPG occurs when you select the "Refresh DVB EPG" button in "TV Server Config". The thinking here is that you want to clear out any garbage in the EPG and start again from nothing.

But normally you do not need to use that. Instead you allow "TV Server" to refresh the EPG periodically, as specified by the timeout settings. When refreshing the EPG as a result of a timeout expiring, "TV Server" merges the received EPG with the existing EPG in the SQL database.

Your recording schedule should not have been affected by resetting the EPG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom