porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

For a long while now I have used the Sky Grabber MP variant which is great as it fills about 90% of the EPG and allows the 'Series Link' recording to be used.

I have a number of Freeview channels which appear to be Freeview only and do not get populated with EPG info. I have used WebEPG for the more popular channels, however I seem to struggle with the following:-

That's Manchester
    Talking Pictures TV
    4seven HD

Any advice on how to get these populated would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have a number of Freeview channels which appear to be Freeview only and do not get populated with EPG info. I have used WebEPG for the more popular channels, however I seem to struggle with the following:-
    That's Manchester, Talking Pictures TV, 4seven HD
    Do you have a TV with a DVB-T2 tuner? If you do, check your TV to see if you can receive those channels at your location. I think that "Talking Pictures" and "4Seven" are in one of the temporary DVB-T2 MUXes that are not available everywhere. Also, those MUXes are broadcast at a lower signal strength, making them more difficult to receive.

At my location (Southampton), the two temporary DVB-T2 MUXes are marginal during difficult reception conditions (such as yesterday). My TV (a Sony) has a better tuner than my HTPC (a TBS 6284, same as yours). Yesterday, the HTPC was showing breakup and freezing on "Talking Pictures" and "BBC News HD", but the Sony TV was fine.

You should be able to receive the EPG for all of the DVB-T/T2 channels that you can receive at your location, by setting up MP to capture the broadcast EPG. Have at look at this post:

EPG for DVB-T not working

I use the broadcast EPG for all channels, as it is simpler that way. But there are alternative EPGs available (some paid for), that may contain more detail than the broadcast EPG. If you prefer WebEPG for the channels that it covers, I think that you can set up the MP EPG grabber to grab the broadcast EPG only for selected channels (although I have never tried that myself).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for the reply CyberSimian.

After I posted I remembered about the DVB-T setting on the TV Server config, so ticked these and waited. Nothing seemed to happen, but Lo! and behold, this morning all the EPG gaps were filled. The GF watches Talking Pictures TV as she is a sucker for old B&W films, and now this is populated it will help enormously with the whining level.

I'm not too bad for DVB-T signal stength as my local mast is Winter Hill in north west England, and I have a high gain antenna pointing at it. It is perhaps six miles away as the crow flies and it does put out a decent strength. I do agree with you that the broadcast EPG is a simpler way, but I also use the Sky EPG grabber for the Satellite card, and have for years now so, sort of forgot about the DVB-T EPG settings due to lack of use over time. :whistle:

All back up and running now. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom