UK Freesat (1 Viewer)

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Only problem now is the EPG thing - has anyone got a work around?

Shwan

I've just setup webEPG. I'm having a few teething problems which I'm working through now and it's a bit of a pain to initially setup, but once it is, you get 14 days EPG from Radio Times and some excellent extended program information and film reviews, rather than brief sentences like DVB-T epg.

Have a check through the wiki for webEPG and xmltv plugin for TVServer - they are very well done.

On a side note. With the Blackgold 6 in 1, I've combined the DVB-T and DVB-S channels that overlap, now I've got 3 tuners that can receive BBC 1 etc. So loads of combinations of program watching and/or recording especially with MPTv Client. I'm so amazingly impressed with MediaPortal - just something you cannot buy in a STB - combined Satellite and Terrestrial streams - get an updated LNB and I can have dual DVB-S stream too!!!

shwan

Portal Member
    May 12, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nice one - looks good, thanks guys...that's my evening sorted =P
    Mrs. won't be happy, but she won't complain when it's working properly!
    Hehe

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I'm hoping once the ITV HD channel goes properly live that they'll stop using the h.222 thing so we can view it in MP.
    I think it will be some time before this happens. ITV has stated that they don't have enough material for a full channel and it would be too costly at the moment. The reason it is wrapped in a data stream is so it can be accessed through the MHEG engine. I uspect an icon will appear (probably as part of the red button feature) telling you the program you are watching is available in HD so you can switch to that. It then dumps you back to the SD stream when the HD program is finished.

Poko

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    Just to let you guys know, my Technotrend S2-3600 HDTV-S2 USB 2.0 turned up today, and it all seems to work with Freesat and TV Server, plus it pumps out the BBC HD free channel to my plasma pretty well.
    Quite pleased. Not done any serious testing yet, but looks good so far.

gamejester

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 13, 2007
    Home Country
    Which is all Freesat is.
    We have had this discussion.
    Freesat is nothing more than a new group offering of the same channels which have been available via ASTRA from SKY for ever, but now there a few more of them broadcast without encryption.
    For years now there has been a Freeesat card you could buy and stick in a SKY box for a one of fee (think £70) and it gave you all the same channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom