UK Freeview DVB-T 700MHz clearance updates (1 Viewer)

RVR

Portal Member
May 9, 2016
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Jasmeet_181

Pointed me to the thread above entered by him which points to the transmitter sites which you can download above. Don't know how to point to the exact post but it has

"Transmitter Open" button in the post. Keep scrolling up through the past responses and you'll find it.

Hope that helps enough.

RV

-=Is0metric=-

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 19, 2013
    South Coast
    Home Country
    Hi Jasmeet_181,
    I had reason to come to the TMP forum due to a coincidental tv-server motherboard failure during the last week of Mar. Then as the Rowridge re-tune happened on the 2nd May, my backup TV device didn't find the updated frequencies.

Thanks for you for the updated tuning parameter file for Rowridge. It has worked to re-tune my tv-server.
    I did a recording from 5 HD on Ch 21 and found the playback to be a little wobbly'.

I did my own research and whilst I was researching the data contained in the file I discovered some discrepancies that my mild OCD found a little jarring.
    Whilst these discrepancies would probably not affect frequency lock on many tuners I decided to upload a tweaked version of the UK_Rowidge.xml file.

What I have changed...
    As only Channels 21 and 22 have a +167KHz offset I have reverted all other offsets to 0
    Also, Channels 21 and 22 have a centre frequency of 474200 KHz and 484200 KHz respectively.
    Rowridge (Isle Of Wight, England) Full Freeview transmitter refers
    I placed the frequencies in order, just in case tuner searches were in order.
    The bandwidth of all Rowridge muxes are all 8k so these were checked.

I have tested my file with my TBS quad HD tuner and it holds up well.
    I hope this works for anyone else.
    Thanks
    Is0metric

Attachments

• UK.Rowridge.xml
      1.3 KB

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I have tested my file with my TBS quad HD tuner and it holds up well.
    I also receive TV from the Rowridge transmitter. Prior to the 2nd May, I was able to receive both of the "temporary" DVB-T2 MUXes, namely COM7 and COM8. But since 2nd May, I can no longer receive COM7, neither using MP on my HTPC (TBS 6284 tuner card), nor using my Sony TV.

There has been some discussion in the "DigitalSpy" fora with regard to the difficulty in receiving COM7, and other people have had problems using other transmitters. There is some suggestion that the switch to an "SFN" (Single Frequency Network) has resulted in some transmitters not having the correct setup for COM7 (whatever that means).

What do you find? Can you receive COM7? The channels to look for are (amongst others) "BBC News HD" and "Pick+1". My Sony TV usually displays "No signal" for these, but occasionally receives the channels with a signal strength that varies wildly. There is a distinct possibility that the problem is with my loft aerial, but I am curious whether other Rowridge users are experiencing similar problems with COM7 since 2nd May.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

-=Is0metric=-

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 19, 2013
    South Coast
    Home Country
    Salut CyberSimian,
    I am in a tall block with a communal wideband aerial and direct line of sight to Rowridge. When I did a re-tune Sat 5th I received all 122 channels. Although some are now on reduced power.. Pick +1 is 52% SL 68% SQ no discontinuities for example.
    I can receive COM7 UHF ch 55 and COM 8 UHF ch 56
    Try a manual scan on single trasponder...
    746000 KHz
    8 MHz
    and then
    KHz
    8 MHz
    I get 13/1 and 12/0 TV/Radio channels.

But for best reception you will require a cf band A wideband, K group Aerials- log 36. [ATV Stock Aerial Tests].
    I hope this is useful.
    All the best
    Is)metric

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Pick +1 is 52% SL 68% SQ no discontinuities for example.
    So it looks as though my aerial system needs improving. :( It is a wide-band aerial (the old group W), so it should receive both COM7 and COM8. Although COM8 is fine (and it is the higher frequency), COM7 is not received at a usable signal level.

I probably need to re-align or reposition the aerial. I have a simple signal-strength meter (purchased from Maplin some years ago). Perhaps I should try using it! :D

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

-=Is0metric=-

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 19, 2013
    South Coast
    Home Country
    Good luck.
    RE: Log36 aerial... You might need a better version for your loft install. I have found this site to have good info on aerial types...
    Rowridge Transmitter
    Scroll down to just below the first pair of tables, text in a box, to review your aerial types and options.

AFAIK Ch 55 & 56 are temporarily in the 700Mhz till 2020. They look to be moving again then. I did read during my research that during 2020 the Aerial Group will be moved to K but cannot for the life of me find the article again. Apologies. Looks like a bit of a mine field with many options.

If you have a compass or compass app you could also try this site to set-up your aerial...
    Mounting A Terrestrial TV Aerial - 3 Aerial Alignment Calculator (with internet mapping)

Enjoy
    Is0metric

tadrobe

September 29, 2012
    Home Country
    Bahamas Bahamas
    I was about to post a new thread then came across this. I had the same problem with Hannington but managed to solve it ..

After fruitless searches on the internet for the latest info to find where the 'lost' TV channels had moved to and manual advanced scans failed to find the new mux's I tried to search for all UK frequencies. Only then did it find frequency 746000 and 754000 and I got back my missing channels.

I suspect the issue is that the new mux's, like the one recently retired, transmit on lower power than the others and thus my tuner's failed to find them on the advanced tune to look for transponders.

Perhaps this info may be of use to other UK users - if you can't find some stations, try scanning for the whole of UK in case this method finds them when other attempts have failed.

FYI - Hannington now uses (as of April 2018) - 562000,578000,618000,626000,642000,650000,666000,674000,746000,754000

Jasmeet_181

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Thanks Azzuro, there's already an existing UK.All Regions.xml which covers everything, it's just that we've begun moving multiplexes for the 5G 700MHz band clearance.
    All of the changes that have already occurred are in the Current 6 June.zip attachment in the first post.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    hello @Jasmeet_181
    what do you think to include all change directly ?*
    because this is for the 1.20 release version, and it will available for at least 2/ 3 months so all frequency moving will be already inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom