UK IMDb Scraper (1 Viewer)

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Hi

With the new filtering in Moving Pictures it became apparent that the certification was based on the Motion Picture Association of America film rating system. As I live in the UK this does not mean a lot to me or my family. I couldn't find a UK scraper on the boards (although I may have missed it) so I therefore decided to produce an edited version of the scraper which retrieves cerification based on the British Board of Film Classification.

From a technical perspective, as this is the only change I have made, I kept the version numberin line with the US version. I have incremented the ID by one to make it unique, meaning both the original IMDb.com and the IMDb.com(UK)scrapers can be loaded at the same time.

I have also cobbled together some category icons to use until someone with more talent than me produces something better. They can be found here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/moving-pictures-284/category-image-exchange-74382/index2.html#post547291

I thought I would share it as it may be of help to someone else.

Mew

Attachments

• IMDb(UK).xml
    30.6 KB

trekkiedj

Portal Pro
August 7, 2009
Cirencester
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Great idea... i have been pondering how to get the UK certs....

One question though, how do i get this to work? do i plonk it somewhere in the mediaportal directory or something else?:D

Mew

Portal Pro
January 11, 2007
Hertfordshire
Home Country
England England
Hi trekkiedj

It took me a little while (and a bit of searching) to find this out as it is a little hidden (mostly the part in step 6).

You need to:
1. Copy the .xml file a directory (I don't believe it matters where).
2. Open "MediaPortal - Configuration", go to the "plugins" and select "Moving Pictures" and "Config".
3. Select the "Importer Settings" tab
4. In the "Data Sources:" section select the "Manually manage movie data sources" radio button
5. Click the "Movie Details Data Sources" button
6. In the popup click the arrow just to the right of the "+" button and pick "Add a New Data Source"
7. Browse to the new .xml scraper and click OK
8. It should appear as imdb.com(UK) in the "Source column. You may need to enable it by pressing the "+" button if it is greyed out and move it to the top of the list using the green arrows if you want it to be the first scraper used. The standard imdb.com scraper should remain in the list if you wish to revert to it.

Mew

TheBiGW

Portal Member
October 1, 2009
Home Country
This is really cool. Is there a way to re-scan the movie DB and update the ratings with the UK ones after enabling this scraper?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This is really cool. Is there a way to re-scan the movie DB and update the ratings with the UK ones after enabling this scraper?

You can update all movie details for a set of movies, but there is no way to update just one field in bulk. To update all movie details though, goto the Movie Manager, select all the movies in the list (hold the SHIFT key while clicking). Then click the drop down for the refresh button (click the down arrow NOT the button itself!). Then select "Refresh from IMDb (UK)".

TheBiGW

Portal Member
October 1, 2009
Home Country
Since the main scraper has been updated to version 1.4 I've updated the UK scraper to the same version.

Credits go to Mew for the original code of course.

Attachments

• IMDb v1.4.0(UK).xml
    30.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom