[Music] Unable to play Audio CD. (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I used AnyDVD and it didn't resolve the problem. I followed the infinityloop's suggestion and tried my old IDE CD drive - same problems. So this is not my BluRay drive that causes the issue. I also noticed that the home made audio CD sometimes gives same problem. Could it be my Intel audio driver compatibility with BASS?
    There is then definitly something "wrong" with the system itselfe which causes that BASS fails.
    But what that is, is a very good and very tricky questions. :confused:

1.Windows Media Player ALWAYS plays all audio CDs without any problem.

2.Internel Dshow in MediaPortal ALWAYS player plays all audio CDs without any problem (I am mostly missing visualizations).
    No surprise since 1 and 2 are the same in Windowsinternals :)

3.BASS player intermittently plays or refuses to play different audio CDs (factory or home made).
    Inside "MP Configuration -> music" what have you selected as "audio devide"?

Is it difficult to enable visualizations in dshow?
    Well, let me tell it this way. There is a good reason why there are not more.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Inside "MP Configuration -> music" what have you selected as "audio devide"?

I selected Default Sound Device.

I am curious: why do you give in the Music module such a high priority to BASS instead of giving users a choice of using Windows internal resources or MPC or ffdshow or other third party audio codecs, like it is done in Videos and TV modules of Media Portal. I've seen other quite stable programs (Karatron, for example) that use Windows internal resources including Windows visualizations, etc. But in Music module we only have two choices: BASS and DirectShow.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I am curious: why do you give in the Music module such a high priority to BASS instead of giving users a choice of using Windows internal resources or MPC or ffdshow or other third party audio codecs, like it is done in Videos and TV modules of Media Portal. I've seen other quite stable programs (Karatron, for example) that use Windows internal resources including Windows visualizations, etc. But in Music module we only have two choices: BASS and DirectShow.
    It seems to me that i should clarify what BASS and DirectShow as players are, so you understand what is going on inside MP and Windows itselfe. ;)

DirectShow is what windows uses to play movies and music.
    To be able to hear and see the data of your music or videofile you need codecs. Such as MPC-MPA/MPC-MPV/ffdshow/coreavc.
    So all playback is done by using directshow. Just MyMusic never had options to select a specific filter for i.e. MP3 playback.

There was a time where MyMusic also only used DirectShow for audio playback, until the additional option of bass as audioplayer was added.
    Bass offers a lot of benefits compared to directshow. gapless playback and crossfade are just 2.

The reason why we did not enable/support more visualizations is not DirectShow (since that is what WindowsMediaPlayer/etc. use as well ;) ).
    The reason is that these visualizations from windows mediaplayer cause _lots_ of issues inside MediaPortal. While vis. in BASS are working nicely (such as milkdrop which you might know from WinAMP ;) )

Bottomline is that BASS is a very, very relieable player. And we are all quite clueless what is going wrong at this specific HTPC of yours (since the other one does work as you said).

It is definitly not a general problem with BASS, nor is it hardwarespecific (you BR drive) which you confirmed by changing drives.

At this point, i fear that we ran out of ideas.
    Only suggestions left are a full, clean install of the OS and MP. Or use DirectShow instead of BASS.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thank you. I will try to reinstall when I get a chance and hopefully this will resolve the problem.

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I noticed BASS DLLs from www.un4seen.com are a little higher in version then my current ones in c:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MusicPlayer\plugins\audio decoders\ directory. I wonder if upgrading could resolve the problem? How can I install and re-register the new dll files?

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Since I have a problem with BASS only, Is there a way to reinstall BASS only instead of reinstalling everything? I tried simply to overwrite the files in c:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MusicPlayer\plugins\audio decoders\ folder but this did not resolve the problem.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Since I have a problem with BASS only, Is there a way to reinstall BASS only instead of reinstalling everything? I tried simply to overwrite the files in c:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MusicPlayer\plugins\audio decoders\ folder but this did not resolve the problem.
    Erm... it is still not clear what exactly causes your issue.
    If it is a bug inside BASS, then how should "reinstalling" it help?

As i said. Until you can try a complete reinstallation of your PC to outrule that some configuration/3rd party application causes the issue, you will have to use DirectShow as player.

Btw. you did try to update your audio drivers, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom