[no Bug] Unable to play XviD movies (1 Viewer)

TheBiGW

Portal Member
October 1, 2009
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I installed Media Portal 1.1.0 RC1 today. Reinstalled SAF4.00 RC1 to reset all codecs. MKV files play back fine but I am unable to play any XviDs. Media Portal throws an error saying it is unable to play back the file. The files play fine in Media Player and MPC-HC and GraphStudio shows all the codecs are configured correctly.

Steps to reproduce:

Navigate to XviD movie
Press OK to play the movie
Movie fails to play back

Media Portal logs have been attached to this thread while the issue was reproduced.

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
Windows Version: 7 32bit with all latest patches
CPU Type: Intel® Atom™ 330 1.6GHz (Dual core)
HDD: 320gb
Memory: 2gb
Motherboard: Asrock ION 3360
Video Card: NVIDIA® ION™ graphics
Video Card Driver: nVidia WHQL 196.21
Sound Card: HD Audio 5.1 channel
Sound Card AC3: YES, SP/DIF
Sound Card Driver: nVidia WHQL 15.51
1. TV Card: n/a
1. TV Card Type: n/a
1. TV Card Driver: n/a
2. TV Card: n/a
2. TV Card Type: n/a
2. TV Card Driver: n/a
3. TV Card: n/a
3. TV Card Type: n/a
3. TV Card Driver: n/a
4. TV Card: n/a
4. TV Card Type: n/a
4. TV Card Driver: n/a
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC-HC
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: MPC-HC
Satelite/CableTV Provider: n/a
HTPC Case: Asrock ION 330
Cooling: Asrock ION 330
Power Supply: Asrock ION 330
Remote: Windows Media Center Remote
TV: Pioneer 43" HDTV
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI / TOSLINK

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

Without checking your logs (I wouldn't understand them!) the most likely cause, based on recent reports, is that the Haali media splitter has been configured to handle avi files. The solution is to uninstall Haali media splitter, reinstall it and ensure that it is not configured to handle avi files.

This sort of problem is one reason why the team has long recommended avoiding codec packs. Sure SAF is one of the best, and best maintained, but it is still a codec pack.

Please try my solution and report back.

Best wishes,

Mark

claus14

Portal Member
    October 1, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi,

Without checking your logs (I wouldn't understand them!) the most likely cause, based on recent reports, is that the Haali media splitter has been configured to handle avi files. The solution is to uninstall Haali media splitter, reinstall it and ensure that it is not configured to handle avi files.

This sort of problem is one reason why the team has long recommended avoiding codec packs. Sure SAF is one of the best, and best maintained, but it is still a codec pack.

Please try my solution and report back.

Best wishes,

Mark

I can confirm that I had the same problem as TheBiGW. I uninstalled Haali, Directvobsub and ffdshow beta 7. After that, using only SAF package, everything is working great.

TheBiGW

Portal Member
    October 1, 2009
    Home Country
    There is already a thread within this section with the same problem as you...

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mediaportal-1-1-0-rc-1-496/problem-some-avi-files-78075/

Also check out the SAF thread as Hoborg is "back" and so he might be able to resolve the issue if it is related to his latest SAF's.

I followed this (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/581247-post4.html) exactly and it resolved the problem. I'm using Haali with avi files and it works fine so I guess there is some kind of problem with SAF and RC1. Thanks for the help!

Lowietje

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 21, 2008
    Aalsmeer
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi all,

I followed the instructions, and now i can watch xvid stuff, but now he won't play other stuff.

All i can tell is that this happened since 24990 (using Saf 4), checked it with my own builds, 24989 worked and 24990 didn't.

So perhaps Manfred can give us some clues ??

hoborg

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2008
    Nový Jičín
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Just did some test of MP 1.1.0 RC1 and i hit the same xvid issue.
    After some researching i found that MP "hang" while creating thumbs from some video samples i have.
    I checked thaskmanager after killing MP manually and found that "mtn.exe" was running 3 times in the background.
    So i klil them, disabled auto thumbs generating in MP confing, and all seems to be working back to normal. No more canot play xvid message.

photopeter

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Unable to play XviD movies

Hi.
    Didn't solve the Problems here. I can't play any video files with SAF 4 RC1 on MePo 1.1 RC1. Switched to HDPack 2.3 and all went well as expected. So I think there's a problem with SAF 4 RC1, not just mtn.exe running in the background.

GagReflex

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2006
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Yep same here... If I deinstall SAF and just go with the "standard" MP codecs.. all is fine.. As soon as I install SAF, I can't play xvid/divx anymore??... Really weird..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom