Unable to record more than 2 channels at same time with Quad DVB-S (1 Viewer)

Vic Thornley

Portal Member
November 12, 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Hi all

I have a dedicated TV server with a TBS Quad DVB-S2 tuner fed with a quad LNB, whilst I can stream 4 channels at the same time I am not able to record more than 2 channels at a time, ie even with a start/finish overlap or even if not viewing any DVB-S2 channels, I have a quad core CPU and a fast SATA 3 HDD to record to. Not really got a clue on this.

Any help/pointers.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Vic,

I have the same card and it runs fine. Hmmm.

When setting mine up I did a separate scan on each tuner, but I did notice that some tuners seemed to miss some channels. I then checked the channel mapping and those that were missing from a couple of tuners were then assigned.

The only issue I do sometimes get is a lock up of the tuner when scanning for the EPG, but I am using Miroslav's Sky EPG version. When viewing the tuners in the 'manual' section of the TV Server the tuner lock up/ error shows with a red line through it.

Just a thought, can you identify which tuner(s) is not recording? Have you tried re-ordering the priority to identify if it is a particular tuner?

Last edited:

Vic Thornley

Portal Member
    November 12, 2012
    Nottingham, United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    ok, got a few minutes to grab - seems that tuner B is the one that gives errors. this also means if I set 2 channels recording, i cannot watch a 3rd live -get 'unknown error' and tv is stopped. By swapping around priorities, it is always tuner b that errors. but just tried disabling tuner b, but I still get the same error. Seems I am locked down to 2 active channels.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Maybe the card is faulty, anyway of testing with the manufacturers own software or MCE, also make sure there is nothing blocking the cards, ie other software if installed.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Vic,

some long shots...

Have you tried physically removing the card and refitting it in it's slot?
    Did you download the latest drivers from the TBS website?
    Can you try swapping over the cables from the LNB to different tuners (just swap Tuner A & B) to see if it is a cabling issue?

Failing all that I would try put Tuner B to the bottom of the priority list, with tuners A, C & D above it until you can possibly solve the problem or return the card.

There is a very good forum on the TBS website that does offer support - I have used it in the past and it is good. See >>here<<

Keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom