Unconsistent behavior in textboxscrollup and defines in MP 1.13 (2 Viewers)

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    I'm thinking of something, why we need to check if we have a property or not for 'textboxscrollup', i mean it's the text so should be able to display the text if already converted or convert it if needed.
    I will build a core.dll for 1.12 and can you test ?
    Thanks.

XMaM

Portal Member
    December 15, 2012
    Asturias
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    @Sebastiii , well, no luck in all :(. But maybe are interesting things ;).

This is the result of my test:

XML:
    defines in skin xml file (myvideo.xml):
      <label>#test_textstring_xml</label>  | <!-- | does not work | show: #test_textstring_xml -->
      <label>#test_textstring_property_xml</label>  |  <!-- | work | -->
      <label>#test_textstring_propertyEvaluated_xml</label> | <!-- | work | -->
      <label>#test_textplot_xml</label>  | <!--  | does not work | show: #test_textplot_xml -->
      <label>#test_textplot_property_xml</label>  | <!-- | does not work | show: Plot with property="true" - #plot -->
      <label>#test_textplot_propertyEvaluated_xml</label>  |  <!-- | does not work | show: Plot with property="true" and evaluateNow="true" - #plot -->

defines in references xml file (references.xml):
       <label>#test_textstring_ref</label> | <!-- | work | -->
       <label>#test_textstring_property_ref</label> | <!-- | work | -->

colors definitions in skin xml file (myvideo.xml):
       <textcolor>#test_textcolor_property_xml</textcolor> | <!-- | does not work | show: nothing/blank -->
       <textcolor>#test_textcolor_property_xml</textcolor> | <!-- | does not work | show: nothing/blank -->

colors definitions in references xml file (references.xml) :
       <textcolor>#test_textcolor_ref</textcolor> --> | <!-- | work | show: correct color -->
       <textcolor>#test_textcolor_property_ref</textcolor> | <!-- | work | show: correct color -->

The defines in references.xml seems are working ok (both, defines only and propertys and also the defines used in <textcolor>). This does not was working in 1.13. In 1.12 was working, So it seems that the reverted change was broken the defines in references.xml in 1.13 and with the new core.dll are working again..

Now the bad things: the 'only-define' (<define>#test_textstring_xml:This is text in define</define>) don't work now (in 1.13 doesn't work neither). The defines in other differents tags than <label> (like <textcolor>) in skin xml file, are not working now (in 1.13 doesn't work also, I don't remember if this was working in 1.12. I can check this later).

The defines that include another define inside (like <define>#test_textplot_xml: Plot - #plot</define>) doesn't work. The key here is that the '#' isn't at the beginnig of the string (if I don't get it wrong).

Nevertheless, I think that is better solution the new core.dll, because are working things that was working in 1.3 and other things that was working in 1.12 (and don't in 1.13).

And thanks, I will continue doing some more testing with the old core.dll (1.12 original). If you need more, don't hesitate to tell me. One more thing: perhaps there is some clue in other controls like label or fadelabel?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Thanks for your testing :)
    Yep, i would like to be sure that the code that was working in 1.12 keep working in 1.13 + the new change done in 1.13 keep working without regression.

If i follow you it seems to be the case :) now there are others bugs, maybe it will be possible to fix them but i'm not sure right now.

Will try to compare other label but like i said, skin is not easy for me, so yes i will need you for testing :)

XMaM

Portal Member
    December 15, 2012
    Asturias
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    If i follow you it seems to be the case :)
    Yes, you follow me ;)

now there are others bugs
    Yes. There are others bug, but I guess that are pre 1.13 (1.12 and before, also).

maybe it will be possible to fix them but i'm not sure right now
    It would be awesome if you could leave the texboxscrollup fully operational, once and for all.

so yes i will need you for testing :)
    Of course. I would be happy to test and help. I regret not having a test system now, so i can install different versions and take a look at the code and to test. Probably end up installing a test system, although I dont have very clear if I'll be able to compile everything smoothly...:(;):whistle:. And then, understand how the the code work, is another matter.

[UPDATE]
    More test in 1.12 to compare with 1.13 (AKA the new core.dll) and definitely better the new version. All is working as 1.12 (no regression) and also are working the fixes introduced in version 1.13, so good work (y).

I added three new test, when a define have other property inside, to check if the position of the property is relevant (the # at the begining of the string), and no, no is relevant. Neither works.
    XML:
    <define>#test_textplot2_xml:#plot</define>
    <define property="true">#test_textplot2_property_xml:#plot</define>
    <define property="true" evaluateNow="true">#test_textplot2_propertyEvaluated_xml:#plot</define>

So now, for the rest. "To infinity and beyond" ;)

Last edited:

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    XML:
    defines in skin xml file (myvideo.xml):
      <label>#test_textstring_xml</label>  | <!-- | does not work | show: #test_textstring_xml -->
      <label>#test_textstring_property_xml</label>  |  <!-- | work | -->
      <label>#test_textstring_propertyEvaluated_xml</label> | <!-- | work | -->
      <label>#test_textplot_xml</label>  | <!--  | does not work | show: #test_textplot_xml -->
      <label>#test_textplot_property_xml</label>  | <!-- | does not work | show: Plot with property="true" - #plot -->
      <label>#test_textplot_propertyEvaluated_xml</label>  |  <!-- | does not work | show: Plot with property="true" and evaluateNow="true" - #plot -->

colors definitions in skin xml file (myvideo.xml):

colors definitions in references xml file (references.xml) :
       <textcolor>#test_textcolor_ref</textcolor> --> | <!-- | work | show: correct color -->
       <textcolor>#test_textcolor_property_ref</textcolor> | <!-- | work | show: correct color -->

Hi :)

Based on your test and what i have try to debug, it seems that :
    I take the case of : <label>#test_textstring_xml</label> | <!-- | does not work | show: #test_textstring_xml -->

The define is done in myvideo.xml (without the 'property=true' so without <define property="true"> it's (<define>#test_textstring_xml:This is text in define</define>)
    And we try to get this value from myvideo.views.default.xml and it doesn't work because MP didn't add this proprety + value in sort on cache.

Now i think that if i add <define property="true"> it will work.
    But i also think that it will work if i move that line (<define>#test_textstring_xml:This is text in define</define>) to myvideo.views.default.xml.

To summarize :
    If we want to key a value from a property from a different file, we need to add <define property="true"> or need to put the define in the current xml aka myvideo.views.default.xml in this case.

Could you confirm this ?

Edit : if we add the define in reference, it seems here that <define property="true">#...... is not a must, it can be <define>#......

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Are you sure about :
    1. colors definitions in skin xml file (myvideo.xml):
    2. <textcolor>#test_textcolor_property_xml</textcolor> | <!-- | does not work | show: nothing/blank -->
    3. <textcolor>#test_textcolor_property_xml</textcolor> | <!-- | does not work | show: nothing/blank -->
    I think it should be the same as above, it <define property="true">#...... define in myvideo.xml should work for myvideo.views.default.xml. But not if we don't use it (property="true").

It seems to be a bad copy/past :)

I think you want to write ? :

• colors definitions in skin xml file (myvideo.xml):
    • <textcolor>#test_textcolor_xml</textcolor> | <!-- | does not work | show: nothing/blank -->
    • <textcolor>#test_textcolor_property_xml</textcolor> | <!-- | work | show: correct color -->

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    You are right, it doesn't work true or not in define for textcolor.
    I notice one thing, if i set the 'true', MP do a first test and this first test, MP try to find the textcolor in current xml (myvideo.views.default.xml) and reference.xml but not in myvideo.xml (even if true is set).
    After that, there is a second check and this time in/from myvideo.xml and the textcolor is found because true is set, but it change nothing, because it seems and i don't know why, that to set the color, the init should be done in the first check and not on the second.

So when we set color in reference.xml, on first check MP found the textcolor -> works.

XMaM

Portal Member
    December 15, 2012
    Asturias
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi :)

(without the 'property=true' so without <define property="true"> it's (<define>#test_textstring_xml:This is text in define</define>)
    Right: <define>#test_textstring_xml:This is text in define</define> is equal <define property="false" evaluateNow="false">#test_textstring_xml:This is text in define</define>

Now i think that if i add <define property="true"> it will work.
    Right again: this is checked in <label>#test_textstring_property_xml</label> with the definition <define property="true">#test_textstring_property_xml:This is text in define with property="true"</define>. And is working ok as i said, like <label>#test_textstring_propertyEvaluated_xml</label>, which also works.

But i also think that it will work if i move that line (<define>#test_textstring_xml:This is text in define</define>) to myvideo.views.default.xml.
    Tested: and you are right again (three out of tree, whooo :LOL:). I thought that when add an include or import file, the skin engine first merge the files and then processes all as a single file (more or less like a prepocesor in a compiler). I see I was wrong (n).
    So the same for <define>#test_textplot_xml: Plot - #plot</define>. Moved to myvideo.views.default.xml and working (y)

if we add the define in reference, it seems here that <define property="true">#...... is not a must, it can be <define>#......
    Maybe, but was working both, so... :)
    Code:

I think you want to write ? :

• colors definitions in skin xml file (myvideo.xml):
    • <textcolor>#test_textcolor_xml</textcolor> | <!-- | does not work | show: nothing/blank -->
    • <textcolor>#test_textcolor_property_xml</textcolor> | <!-- | work | show: correct color -->
    You are right. I realized while I was doing the lastest tests. And now, moved <textcolor>#test_textcolor_xml</textcolor> to myvideo.views.default.xml (thanks for your advice/explanation), are working (y).
    I realized that if <define property="true">#test_textcolor_property_xml:ffff0000</define> is moved to myvideo.views.default.xml, works ok also. But in this case, it should work, even if it was in a diferent file (in the end, it's a property, no?) :confused:.

Thank you very much for you invaluable help, your time and your advice (y)(y)(y):LOL:

[UPDATE]
    Now I have seen your last post...

After that, there is a second check and this time in/from myvideo.xml and the textcolor is found because true is set, but it change nothing, because it seems and i don't know why, that to set the color, the init should be done in the first check and not on the second.

More or less it's demonstrated in my last test. If <define property="true">#test_textcolor_property_xml:ffff0000</define> is moved to myvideo.views.default.xml, works ok also, because is parsed/initiated in the first check. This is probably the same problem for the rest of properties that don't work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom