Unhandled Exception when finishing installation without browser (1 Viewer)

Razorblade

Portal Pro
May 22, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.7.0

Description
The MP 1.7 installer throws an "unhandled exception" after a successful installation when there's no internet browser installed on the system.
The error occurs after updating all the files when the installer tries to open the mediaportal web page.

Steps to Reproduce:
Install/update MP 1.7 on a system that has no internet browser enabled/installed.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Not sure if this would be seen as a bug, because we strongly advice users to install the latest Updates & Hotfixes (which include a browser).
    And indeed no errors on install in the logs. :(

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes, I agree this is not a bug, more a users choice. But I think the Exception could be caught and make it look more elegant :)

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    Hi,

please test before open a JIRA. I can not reproduce this and the code seems to be safe.

Code:
              try
              {
                Process.Start("http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/TeamMediaPortal/MP1QuickSetupGuide");
              }
                // This might fail on systems without a default browser
              catch (Exception) {}

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    please test before open a JIRA. I can not reproduce this and the code seems to be safe.
    Agreed, and TNX for looking into the code ;)

Also tried to reproduce this just now, and on a clean Win 8.1 VM i get a windows popup how i want to open the weblink after installation (without a browser present) and no error.

I removed the JIRA issue and will set the thread to 'No Bug'.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OH, my bad. To quick to jump and create an issue :)
    Learnt two things today: 1st howto create JIRA issue. 2nd not to quick, ckeck. Sorry.

Question remains why Razorblade does see an exception.

Razorblade

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thank you all for looking into this.
    As by now, I am unable to reproduce this error but I have one more MP-Client left to update. This client also does not have an internet browser installed.
    I will post a screenshot if the error occurs again.

Not sure if this would be seen as a bug, because we strongly advice users to install the latest Updates & Hotfixes (which include a browser).

My clients are all up to date and have the latest fixes and updates installed. I only unchecked "Internet Explorer" in the Windows control panel and did not install any third party browser.

Razorblade

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

it happened again.
    After updating my second client to MePo V1.7.1 the same error occurred. This time I took some screen captures and wrote down the error message.
    'Error.txt' is the complete error text of the error message box that appeared.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
      Capture2.PNG
      397.3 KB
    • Error_install.txt
      3.6 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom