Unicode / Chinese / Korean / Japanese / Thai / Hebrew (1 Viewer)

thor42

Portal Member
July 8, 2006
Just stumbled about the fact that fontengine.cpp would NOT be compiled with Visual C# Express. Therefore i assume i have to use Visual Studio to get that file compiled.

thor42

Portal Member
July 8, 2006
Finally i was able to fetch and configure everything to get those files compiled. But as you already told, the resulting characters are really, really too tiny to read. Seems the 2048x2048 .png map. I haven't found the reason, why them are so tiny. The size parameter inside fonts.xml for that font13 could be set to any size it just doesn't matter they are so tiny as before.

If Mediaportal is used in FullScreen mode, the characters are even very blurred, so that's also not an option to achive bigger character size.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry for digging out this old thread but are there any devs from asian regions still active here?
    Would be nice to get the fontengine fixed to display all chars in the needed size.

darchons

Portal Member
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a lot of Chinese content so I did a quick fix to the MediaPortal source code for it to display Chinese - and any other Unicode character for that matter.
    I can upload my source code and probably somebody can incorporate it into the trunk, if you can tell me the proper way to do it.
    I also have some fix for WebEPG which might be useful as well.

darchons

Portal Member
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    OK, the two files I changed are in the zip file.
    They are based off the current trunk.

Basically I used Direct3D Font objects to do the rendering for characters outside of the font engine range.
    Although it's not as efficient as the built-in font engine, in my actual usage it's not bad at all, considering the benefits. When the characters are all within range, the built-in font engine is still called and there's very little added overhead.
    I've read Direct3D Font used to be very slow, but starting with DirectX 9.0c its performance was vastly improved. That's probably why I noticed very little slowdown.

rkwisdom

January 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Compiled Version for UNICODE Text

Is there somewhere where I can download a compiled version of MediaPortal with these unicode updates?

darchons

Portal Member
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Here, this is the compiled version I'm using right now. Just put Core.dll in the MediaPortal directory to replace the old file.
    You should probably use it on the 0.2.3.0 release version, not any SVN version, because the file is compiled form the 0.2.3.0 release version of the source code.
    After using it for a few weeks the only problem I've noticed is when text is scrolling, the unicode text can get off the edge a little bit. Doesn't bother me.
    Let me know if it works or not. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom