UPnP / DLNA Media Server for MediaPortal 2 (1 Viewer)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The MIA Rework as needed for the DLNA Server is close to be ready. We will start internally testings next days (or few weeks). So it won't be too long until a first Weekly version with MIA Rework will be available. I also can't wait to get my hands on this. DLNA server plugin is one of the most important steps forward for MP2 imho...

henso

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    DLNA server plugin is one of the most important steps forward
    It's also very hard to get working on different devices because they all have different ways to support encodings not part of the DLNA standard (with no documentation available). Also H264 material in all it's various ways to encode, is not fully supported by all devices. I'm just saying, don't set your expectations to high. It might take some time to get support for device x, only to find out that it will be broken by firmware update y.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    For me is the path replacement (means no transcoding at all, only direct streaming) the only needed way as all my devices can play all my media without the need of transcoding. And this should be (nearly) device independent so I expect the first version to fit all my personal needs.. But others may expect different things fore sure. Especially the Audio transcoding (DTS to AC3) for most Smart TV is important, if you own a Smart TV (I don't).

I really love how easy and simple it is to combine different types of devices via DLNA. I have my music stored on a Banana Pi and play it on my AVR with MP2 client as renderer (due to missing HiRes capabilities my cheap AVR has over network) and control it via BubbleUPnP from my Android Tablet.... Up to now I need to run a separate DLNA server and I loose the playcount and need to maintain more servers because of the missing DLNA plugin for the MP2 server...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom