US Grabber - yahoo.com (1 Viewer)

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    darchons,

Why didn't you use the normal a href link?

Code:
    <a href="/nbc-nightly-news/show/32407"

@All,

The biggest problem with getting the guide for US in the number of different channels. :confused:

I'm not sure how to solve this?

darchons

Portal Member
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    darchons,

Why didn't you use the normal a href link?

Code:
    <a href="/nbc-nightly-news/show/32407"

@All,

The biggest problem with getting the guide for US in the number of different channels. :confused:

I'm not sure how to solve this?

The href link is the show's generic website, it doesn't contain specific information about the episode that's airing that we try to use. Some shows don't even have the href link, but all shows have the sublink.

And just to make sure, are you looking at the listing page for grabbing? http://tv.yahoo.com/listings?starttime=1198861200&showFavorites=&provider=32094525
    Or the channel page? http://tv.yahoo.com/network?provider=32094525&chans=5&starttime=1198861200

:D

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    I see the same information under the Next epsoide description?

Also those without a a href, don't have any useful information on the other link?

darchons

Portal Member
    December 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Well, look at this page, http://tv.yahoo.com/network?provider=32094525&chans=5&starttime=1198861200
    For "News 5 at Noon" if you click on it, it expands and you can see a brief description and that the genre is News. But it doesn't have an href link (the link is the page itself).
    Also for the "Next Episode" to show up on the show website you need to pass cookies to it as well.
    For "Access Hollywood" on that page, the href link is http://tv.yahoo.com/access-hollywood/show/28529 and if you go to it, it shows Next Episode. But if you clear your cookies in your browser and go to http://tv.yahoo.com/access-hollywood/show/28529 again the Next Episode will disappear. So at least you need to add ability to pass cookies in the request.
    Also for reruns of episodes, the Next Episode info will be incorrect.

We might want to look at another U.S. listing website if TV.Yahoo doesn't work out.

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Ok. I understand.

I wondering if there is a more generic way to handle this linking? Such that it will work with othersites.

I would like to put the code into GetHyperLink Method?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi James,

Has something changed in a recent SVN for WebEPG and yahoo?

I use Yahoo to grab 8-days of EPG for 8 channels in AU and it used to take around 30 minutes - now it takes around 8 hours ... :(

It looks like there is now a 20 to 25 second wait between each access of yahoo, but it used to be only about 1 second - is that correct?

buffalome902

Portal Member
    February 19, 2008
    Could someone please clarify or recap where the efforts are currently with the US programming guide. As I understand Yahoo changed there tv listing structure, hence granner did not work. Efforts were started to redue the US/Yahoo grabber, but then there was talk about abandoning yahoo for a differenty provider...like tv,com.....Where is thisd currently and does any of it work ?

Please do not take this as criticisim, I am meerly trying to get the darn thing to work and before i begin contemplating delbing into the formats i would like to get a baseline, thanx

Ruhar Insane

Portal Member
    August 27, 2007
    Home Country
    US Grabber

Try using the grabber for US\WWW_IMDB_TV, it should be in the latest SVN. Currently there are only channels listed for Charter in the Mid-West, but the format is pretty easy to modify for other areas.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    Could someone please clarify or recap where the efforts are currently with the US programming guide. As I understand Yahoo changed there tv listing structure, hence granner did not work. Efforts were started to redue the US/Yahoo grabber, but then there was talk about abandoning yahoo for a differenty provider...like tv,com.....Where is thisd currently and does any of it work ?

Please do not take this as criticisim, I am meerly trying to get the darn thing to work and before i begin contemplating delbing into the formats i would like to get a baseline, thanx

If I may suggest - Save yourself some time and pain, and pay the $20 for schedules direct. It'll take forever to get this thing working, and guide data is one of the most important part of tv. Not only that, a site can break it anytime they want. Typically on purpose, and it sound like Yahoo bans the IPs of scrapers.

buffalome902

Portal Member
    February 19, 2008
    Thsi si just to clarify and follow up especially for US and Canada, Please see forum references to CTTV Listings which have also now gone wayside do to a company buy out. Succes is at hand with Yapl2xml, though i personally am using it in conjunction with th epg of GPTVR I have geard it works well with portal epg as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom