Use TV from another TV Server on the network (1 Viewer)

jodesi

Portal Member
April 12, 2012
England
Home Country
England England
Hi,

I use MPextender on a PC with TV tuner (Single DVB-S2/T2) which works fine up until I get the Mrs and the Daughter moaning because they can't watch TV at the same time. So how hard is it to still use my TV Shows and Movies from this PC but use the Media Portal TV Server on the other PC which has a Dual DVB-S2 card in it.

How it stands at the moment is that media portal , MPextend, IIS and all port forwarding is on/to this PC and works perfect in or out of the house so I'd rather keep this PC as the main server if I can.

Any ideas?

Thanks

UPDATE: I have it seeing both servers via the multiseat config but it says add X or add Y. I just copied the IP address into the page of the TV server with the dual tuner card and it works. It doesn't work quite as well as the TV Server in the same PC but good enough until I can look into it further.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    your post is very unclear as to which clients are having trouble and which clients are connected to which server (it also sounds like you are running multiple tv servers) you should fill out system specs, then fully describe your problem.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It doesn't work quite as well as the TV Server in the same PC but good enough until I can look into it further.
    It would be interesting to describe the problems you're having, since it's supposed to work as good as a singleseat setup.

you should fill out system specs,
    If you're not having problems with streams stuttering, system specs aren't relevant for MPExtended.

jodesi

Portal Member
    April 12, 2012
    England
    Home Country
    England England
    @kiwijunglist

"very unclear" ? I was just pointing out that there were 2 systems both with tuners, one of which I couldn't access. I didn't see a need to over complicate the issue wither either system specs or logs. And in my UPDATE, I did say I'd sorted the issue apart from a couple of minor things.

@Oxan

At first it would not pick up the downstairs PC in multiseat for some reason. Sorted that part but the streamed TV from the downstairs PC seemed to be slow and stuttering. It was a bad patch lead in the end. Sometimes the simple things make hard work of a job.

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Sorted that part but the streamed TV from the downstairs PC seemed to be slow and stuttering.
    Hmm, that's not supposed to happen. Is that PC fast enough to be able to handle transcoding, and have you tried setting the streaming mode to 'Direct' in the settings page?

jodesi

Portal Member
    April 12, 2012
    England
    Home Country
    England England
    I would say it is, ASUS X79 Motherboard, i7 3930k, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD, ATI 7990 and all the usual bits that go with. The other is more of a HTPC with a AMD 5800k, 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD. Both on gigabit network through the house on CAT6. I'm just rebuilding the HTPC as it was ready but I feel the dodgy patch lead was mostly to blame. If the 5800k proves not up to the job, I have a Mini ITX Z77 with a i7 2600k on that I'll swap it out with.

I'll get those details filled in on my profile at some point to help you guys as I'm sure I'll have many more questions before I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom