Use XBMC add-ons with MP? (2 Viewers)

TOMillr

Portal Pro
May 4, 2011
Ah, I see.

The IPTVSimple addon is already included with the latest nightly builds of XBMC and basically takes any type of video stream (RTMP in my case) in integrates them alongside regular DVB-C or DVB-S channels in the live tv section.

That's quite handy because I can switch between different channels and view the epg data without worrying about were the source material comes from.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Unfortunately, TV server can handle only DVB compliant streams (MPEG2 TS format). Anything else must be played through OnlineVideos - but in that case you don't have EPG and recording. Maybe in future it will be merged, but it's work for long time. Also I'm concerning about performance of on-the-fly encoding to MPEG2 TS format for TV server.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Unfortunately, TV server can handle only DVB compliant streams (MPEG2 TS format). Anything else must be played through OnlineVideos - but in that case you don't have EPG and recording. Maybe in future it will be merged, but it's work for long time. Also I'm concerning about performance of on-the-fly encoding to MPEG2 TS format for TV server.

Performance wont be an issue. It is much smaller task to mux the content than encode and even encoding can be done in real time.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Performance wont be an issue. It is much smaller task to mux the content than encode and even encoding can be done in real time.
    Muxing content is easier, but I'm not sure what is default video and audio codec for RTMP (FLV container). For newer RTMP streams it should be H264/AAC, which can be directly muxed into MPEG2 TS. And also you have to take into account that there can be several recordings and live streams in same time.

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    And I also forget HTTP, RTSP and MMS protocols. HTTP can transfer any container (avi, mkv, flv, ...) with any video/audio codecs.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Muxing content is easier, but I'm not sure what is default video and audio codec for RTMP (FLV container). For newer RTMP streams it should be H264/AAC, which can be directly muxed into MPEG2 TS. And also you have to take into account that there can be several recordings and live streams in same time.

muxing is lightweight, quite same what dvb recording is already doing so simultaneous streams arent the issue. What will be an issue is the format conversion or we could extend tsreader to understand non-compliant video streams.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...or we could extend tsreader to understand non-compliant video streams.
    As long as it is only the format (stream_type). We still need the TS wrapping and PCR timestamps for robust streaming and FF/RW support.

TOMillr

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2011
    Also, how about HLS streams that are common in extended M3U playlists on iOS and Android devices? Shouldn't those playlist almost always either be h.254/acc based or offer them as an fallback option?

TOMillr

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2011
    Also, how about HLS streams that are common in extended M3U playlists on iOS and Android devices? Shouldn't those playlist almost always either be h.254/acc based or offer them as an fallback option?

Or should I rather open a new request post in the tv plugin board?

georgius

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2010
    Bratislava
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    HTTP streaming is only general way how to split big media stream into small chunks. Every implementation is unique (Adobe Flash, Microsoft, Apple). Video and audio formats are mostly specified in each HTTP streaming specification, but I'm not familiar with Apple specification.

Anyway, for HTTP streaming is probably needed full HTTP client implementation, which is not part of IPTV filter (yet). I'm working on new filter, but it's long time work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom