Use XBMC add-ons with MP? (1 Viewer)

TOMillr

Portal Pro
May 4, 2011
Video and audio formats are mostly specified in each HTTP streaming specification, but I'm not familiar with Apple specification.

As far as I can tell from having a quick look at the Apple documentation and this post over at Wowza http streams over on the Apple side of the fence, hls streams can only contain h.264 video and audio in either aac or mp3. Wouldn't those formats already be supported as they are used in hd transport streams as well?

Or is it more of a "parsing problem" and having to tell the tv server where to look for the audio and video streams?

TOMillr

Portal Pro
May 4, 2011
Sorry, going back to the original topic of this thread: The only reason I can see to use XBMC over MP is the huge collection of plugins. Is there a way to run or port over those plugins to MP?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Or is it more of a "parsing problem" and having to tell the tv server where to look for the audio and video streams?
    As per georgius' answer:
    Unfortunately, TV server can handle only DVB compliant streams (MPEG2 TS format). Anything else must be played through OnlineVideos - but in that case you don't have EPG and recording. Maybe in future it will be merged, but it's work for long time.

As a container format, MPEG TS may contain a huge variety of different media types including h.264 and AAC. Therefore I guess you could say the challenge is a parsing problem... but again, like georgius said "it's work for long time" - ie. the problem is not trivial.

Sorry, going back to the original topic of this thread: The only reason I can see to use XBMC over MP is the huge collection of plugins. Is there a way to run or port over those plugins to MP?
    MP also has a huge collection of plugins. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one that does what you want, and in that case if you want to use MP then you'll need to adapt to what is available in MP and/or develop something that meets your needs (or find somebody else to do it for you).

TOMillr

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2011
    As a container format, MPEG TS may contain a huge variety of different media types including h.264 and AAC.
    Sorry, should have been more precise on that one: I was specifically referring to m3u/hls playlists. Since they are designed to run on a iOS device, the documentations says that the media types used can only be h.264 and aac or mp3.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one that does what you want, and in that case if you want to use MP then you'll need to adapt to what is available in MP and/or develop something that meets your needs (or find somebody else to do it for you).
    That's why I am asking about it. If there's a particular XBMC plugin for a service I happen to use (say offside streams.com, ustvnow.com or ntv.mx) without an MP counterpart, is it possible to modify the existing code to also run on MP? Without having to write the whole thing from scratch?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry, should have been more precise on that one: I was specifically referring to m3u/hls playlists. Since they are designed to run on a iOS device, the documentations says that the media types used can only be h.264 and aac or mp3.
    So is there still an outstanding question here?
    To be clear, h.264, AAC and MP3 are all specific media stream formats. Such media streams are usually wrapped in a container format when streamed or stored in files. Some examples of container formats that you might have heard of: MKV, MP4, TS, MPG, AVI. So what we're saying to you is that our TV service only supports receiving streams that come in the MPEG 2 TS container. Your HLS streams likely don't come in an MPEG 2 TS container and therefore would have to be "repackaged" by something if you wanted them to receive them with the MP TV Server. In other words, it is currently not possible to mix these streams in a guide alongside DVB-C/T/S channels in MP.

That's why I am asking about it. If there's a particular XBMC plugin for a service I happen to use (say offside streams.com, ustvnow.com or ntv.mx) without an MP counterpart, is it possible to modify the existing code to also run on MP? Without having to write the whole thing from scratch?
    As georgius already mentioned, MP has one plugin to handle a huge range of streaming sites. That plugin is OnlineVideos:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/movies-videos/onlinevideos

I don't know if the sites you mentioned are not supported, but even if they're not you can easily request support for them.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/support-for-a-site-request-thread.34587/

Again as per my comment above, this is not going to get the integration with DVB-C/S/T streams that you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom