Using FFDshow for Codecs and AC3 Passthrough to S/PDIF (1 Viewer)

Bear84

November 8, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I have been using MP for just over a week now. I am waiting for my DVB-C card to be delivered, and in the meantime, I'm trying to get MP to run smoothly for DivX and DVD playback.

I have been trying to get upscaling for DVD's to work (using Kevon27's method) but I'm getting strange results.

I configured ffdshow like Kevon described (also tried the configuration from the guide at HTPCnews.com ) and I'm getting great results when playing DivX/XviD. Bright and sharp picture like never before!

But here's the catch. When I use ffdshow to process the image from DVD playback, the aspect ratios get all mixed up in mediaportal. I'm using the DScaler MPEG decoder, and I have enabled the "ffdshow MPEG-4 decoder"-filter.

To illustrate the problem: I've got the Kill Bill Vol.2 DVD. This movie has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. When ffdshow gets involved, the following appears in the OSD:
Input Size: 704X480
Output size: 1440X960 (the resolution I specified)

But now the movie is changed to an 1.46:1 aspect ratio. So I thought I did something wrong, but even when I turn off all filters (including "Resize and Aspect") the same problem occurs.
When I disable the ffdshow MPEG-4 Decoder filter, everything is OK, except the image quality of course...
Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Software I use:
MediaPortal 0.2.1.0
DScaler MPEG2 Video Decoder
ffdshow-20051115, all settings are as described by Kevon27, and I also use the Sharpen filter).

ORPhD

Portal Member
March 8, 2006
Little Rock, AR
Haven't checked this thread for a while, but I will answer some questions now that I see were raised...just in case you haven't found your answers elsewhere.

bennyy: I think you're wanting to use a denoiser. Several exist (Denoise3d and Spresso are two, I think). I don't use them, so I can't be of much help there, but hopefully that will get you pointed in the right direction.

Bear84: I know exactly what your problem is. It's actually the result of two different things. First I'm guessing that you are using the Dscaler5 mpeg2 decoder. In the options for it, you probably want to uncheck "Use analog blanking" since that is what is throwing away 16 lines of your DVD resolution. That will bring your DVD resolution up to the full 720x480. Then in the ffdshow options, under Resize and Aspect I think you want to select No aspect ratio correction. I'm not sure why, but several guides state that Keep original aspect ratio should be selected. At least for some setups (mine included), THIS IS WRONG. It results in people that, for lack of a better term, are too skinny. Choosing no AR correction should fix your problem.

ffdshow really is a great program, not just for simple gathering of codecs as Commy64 mentioned, but for post-processing as well if you're willing to take the time and effort. Unfortunately, it is a tough program, and there is so much misinformation floating around, it can really be tough to sort through.

Bear84

November 8, 2006
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I'm sorry to report that this didn't work for me.
But I have "solved" the problem by installing a newer version of ffdshow (even though that's not much of a solution imo)

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm bumping this up from the depths because I fixed the picture links. It should work now.

cams

Portal Member
    January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    anyone have any pointers
    I cant get S\PDIF passthrough working on my setup, DD 5.1 comes thru in Vista Media Center but not in MP

I followed the info above, and im still not getting it.

What should I have checked off in MP config?
    I currently have under MPA Decoder
    S/PDIF checked

and under Dscaler Audio Decoder
    Use S\PDIF for AC3 checked

RSykes

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    SPDIF

Cams have you tried the microsoft Mpeg2 audio decoder, I get DD on my system with that.

RSykes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom