Using Hauppauge IR Blaster with MP? (1 Viewer)

ralphy

Portal Pro
June 15, 2007
Home Country
Kevin,

The simplicity of the solution got me looking at the SVN last night - have you seen this code that was used by prior versions of MP?

Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to convert to MP 1.0. I'd have a go but I haven't reinstalled my IDE on my new system, and no point duplicating your effort.

ralphy

Portal Pro
June 15, 2007
Home Country
ServerBlaster Plugin for Hauppuage Blaster

I couldn't resist the challenge....here's a plugin to replace ServerBlaster.dll in RC4. It has not been tested on other RC's or the SVN builds.

in the Mediaportal TV Server\plugins folder
1. rename ServerBlaster.dll to ServerBlaster.dll.orig
2. copy the new Plugin to the same folder
3. run TV_Server Configuration, choose Plugins,
4. select ServerBlaster (Version 1.1.0.0)
5. run the ServerBlaster configuration by opening the Plugins group.
6. Select the Hauppauge Blaster type.
7. Away you go!

The original Microsoft and SMK blasters should still work.

Note: I have Hauppauge IR.exe running as a startup program "C:\Program Files\WinTV\Ir.exe" /QUIET, however, I don't think that this is essential.

As the ServerBlaster configuration panel also states, you will need to use the Hauppauge configuration program to set up the ir blaster codes and configuration settings.

Note: If you want to rollback to the prior ServerBlaster, please make sure that you select either the Microsoft or SMK blaster before removing the new plugin, since the original plugin will abort as it doens't handle more than two blaster types.

Any problems, please choose extended logging from the configuration panel, and post logs.

Source code also attached - Perhaps this can be included in the SVN should it be robust and reliable.

EDIT: antonehenry reports here that IRServerSuite needs to be uninstalled. Thanks for this tip antonehenry

Dec 28, 2008: Version 1.1.1 - Only blasts when the VideoInputType is not "Tuner" - This should mean that only external set top boxes are blasted, and not internal tuners, and should eliminate the need for any special 'customisations'

Attachments

• ServerBlaster Dec 28 2008.zip
    15.1 KB

ghostlobster

Portal Member
July 8, 2008
Very nice! Simple and easy to get running. I do have a question, though....is there a way to assign this plugin to a specific tuner? Here's my setup which explains the reason why I need this capability:
1 Hauppauge HD-PVR
2 Hauppauge 150s

I use my 150's for the basic cable channels (2-79)
I use my HD-PVR attached to my STB for the upper channels

With this current ServerBlaster, when I go to channel 50, MP uses the 150 tuner and displays that. Unfortunately, ServerBlaster also changes the channel on my STB through the HD-PVR's blaster.

Can I restrict ServerBlaster's use based upon channel or tuner?
Thanks!

ralphy

Portal Pro
June 15, 2007
Home Country
ghostlobster: Sorry, I forgot to mention that non-support for multiple Hauppuage blasters is a known limitation.

I only have one card, so can't test multiple card support even if I knew how to determine which card to send to. Tis will take a bit of researching I'm afraid.

Out of interest, are you able to use the blasters individually outside of MP, ie control each STB and HD PVR with the Hauppauge remote controls?

ghostlobster

Portal Member
July 8, 2008
Hi Ralphy,
I guess I did not explain it properly. My Hauppauge 150's do not have any blasters. They are just tuning basic cable. The HD-PVR is the only blaster I have on the computer. It tunes great with your .dll..unfortunately, too great! I only use my HD-PVR for channels >100. The other channels are all handled by the built-in tuner on the 150 cards. However, the blaster changes my PVR to all channels, even those not mapped to the HD-PVR. Does this make sense?

ralphy

Portal Pro
June 15, 2007
Home Country
Hi Ralphy,
I guess I did not explain it properly. My Hauppauge 150's do not have any blasters. They are just tuning basic cable. The HD-PVR is the only blaster I have on the computer. It tunes great with your .dll..unfortunately, too great! I only use my HD-PVR for channels >100. The other channels are all handled by the built-in tuner on the 150 cards. However, the blaster changes my PVR to all channels, even those not mapped to the HD-PVR. Does this make sense?

Here's a custom ServerBlaster for you to only blast if the channel is >= 100 (I hope).

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
September 21, 2006
Home Country
Canada Canada
Thanks Ghostlobster for leading me to this thread and Thankyou Ralphy for working on this patch. It got my channel blasting on the HD PVR working. For the rest of the remote functions, up and down arrows, guide button, back button etc. I had to turn the IR Suite back on. I have a Hauppage 150 MCE in this computer also, but I have temporarily disabled it.

Ghostlobter, how did you get all the other remote functions working through the HD PVR? I tried going into the Hauppage remote setup in MP and took a look at the blasterconfig program and it looked like it should work for all the usual functions. I would rather not be dependent on the 150 MCE for these functions, if possible.

At any rate .... the HD PVR is now changing channels .... just in time for Christmas!!! Yipppeeeee

Thankyou, thankyou thankyou!!!!!!

Dale

ghostlobster

Portal Member
July 8, 2008
Hi Dale,
The only remote functions I need and use are channel changing on that box. I'm using it as a dedicated server, and am running clients throughout the house. On my main box in the living room, I'm just using my Harmony remote with an MCE IR receiver and that works perfectly.
The HD PVR and my 150s and my HDHR are all connected to the server box upstairs which will be running headless as soon as I hammer out a few more details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom