Using MP2 (1 Viewer)

Juneislostohno

Portal Member
July 12, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
OK I'm trying to get used to how to make MP2 do what I need and thought maybe I could just ask a few questions here.

1) Have used WMC for years and I'm very used to how to navigate within a program. I have my timeshift folder set up and tests say it is functioning as designed. I can't figure out why back is not really going that far back. Used to 30 second jump on forwards and 10 second jump on back. It seems when using the remote that there really isn't a back function to speak of. What am I doing wrong? Really need this for sports!

2) Can’t seem to figure out how to go back and forth from guide to live tv quickly with the MC remote. I’ll hit the guide button, but then if I just decide to go back to what I’m watching I end up going back to the keyboard to click play then on teeny tv screen. WMC used to keep teeny screen in corner so you could just click it to go back at anytime. Here it disappears. What am I doing wrong?

I know I will come up with more, but I’m still fiddling and want to get this out.
--- Post updated ---
Crumbs I think this is in the wrong place. Move me if necessary. Sorry.

mrj

Portal Pro
January 27, 2012
1) Have used WMC for years and I'm very used to how to navigate within a program. I have my timeshift folder set up and tests say it is functioning as designed. I can't figure out why back is not really going that far back. Used to 30 second jump on forwards and 10 second jump on back. It seems when using the remote that there really isn't a back function to speak of. What am I doing wrong? Really need this for sports!
Answer
During playback you can skip inside the timeshifted buffer ("left"/"right" keys in steps, "up"/"down" percentual).
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...tal-2-to-do-tv-recording.133305/#post-1169943

mrj

Juneislostohno

Portal Member
July 12, 2016
Home Country
Thanks for the help! I've been fiddling with it most of the day. Would be nice if there was some sort of commitment one way or the other (ie use the remote or use the keyboard) . Right now for WMC I have a Aizo keyboard that was cheap and worked great with WMC. I think I'm going to need both it and the MCE remote that hasn't been out of its drawer in 10 years to run this.
--- Post updated ---
Thanks for the help! I've been fiddling with it most of the day. Would be nice if there was some sort of commitment one way or the other (ie use the remote or use the keyboard) . Right now for WMC I have a Aizo keyboard that was cheap and worked great with WMC. I think I'm going to need both it and the MCE remote that hasn't been out of its drawer in 10 years to run this.
--- Post updated ---
oh welll silly goose me! I just sat here button mashing on the remote and found that the up and down arrows around the OK button do what I was trying to do. Maybe if I just sit and bang this thing on my knee for awhile I'll get it figured out.(y)

Juneislostohno

Portal Member
July 12, 2016
Home Country
OK, I appreciate the levity of the message, but for a newbie, the wiki is a real mess. The way it hops back and forth between MP1 and MP2 with half finished and sometimes completely unfinished pages makes it a virtual morass for the uninitiated. The only reason I've finally gotten this far after one month is that I discovered the rewrite that has been started in the forums that FINALLY got me unstuck. I have spent an entire month googling the forums and the wiki trying to get this running. I am truly hoping that the money I am donating to this project next month will pay for someone to spend some time to clean that wiki up for MP2 so someone could follow it. The reality is that the program is reasonably intuitive until you get to EPG set up with SchedulesDirect. That was a nightmare. Made me go back and try three other programs until I decided I didn't like them and came back and beat it to the ground. I can appreciate that there isn't a lot of praise, kudos, money involved in these projects right now and I am VERY appreciative of all the hard work Team Mediaportal is doing to give us all an answer to the loss of WMC. As far as I'm concerned this is the best game in town. And people are actually in this forum that answer questions. I've posted in so many others looking for answers with none. It's like screaming in the desert. I think there has to be some acknowledgement at some point that maybe people who work hard enough to afford multiple computers and sometimes servers to gang into a media system for their home may also be too busy working to spend days sifting through a wiki and a forum. It's sooo close to being almost as intuitive as WMC. if it's going to replace it, it either needs to get there or someone needs to tighten the instructions so one can find answers easier. The new rewrite in the forum is SOOOO much easier to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing it cleaned up. And I'm looking forward to more development for MP2, including close captioning, faster navigation from guide to tv and back and maybe other new skins and functions all you bright people are capable of.
Whew got that out of my system! I'm not really that mad, but I want this project to succeed and if you don't hear it , you don't know and all you folk seem to care enough to listen. Thanks for that.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We are currently developing a WMC skin for MP2, which already looks like a pimped original WMC.
    Regarding navigation especially around EPG and fullscreen controls I have to agree with you, it's not intuitive and comfortable and I plan to simplify this also for the WMC skin for MP2 with help of other team members.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Many thanks for your thoughts.
    Let me comment some of your words.
    until you get to EPG set up with SchedulesDirect. That was a nightmare.
    The EPG data was, is and always will be an issue for a free of charge program like ours. EPG data are expensive. Microsoft is paying a lot of $$ every month only to get this easy to use EPG for WMC. Something that we and all the other HTPC solutions out there are not able to pay, and we never will be... To make things even worse, nearly every country needs a completely different EPG setup. I can not guide you to your EPG as I'm living in Germany and you are living in the US. I never have seen any US TV (excerpt for CNN) and/or US EPG .

I think there has to be some acknowledgement at some point that maybe people who work hard enough to afford multiple computers and sometimes servers to gang into a media system for their home may also be too busy working to spend days sifting through a wiki and a forum.
    The same is valid for the people who makes all this. Most team members are working hard to earn their livings and they are doing all this huge amount of work in their rare spare time... So it is fair enough that an user who got all this for free at least has to invest some time...

The new rewrite in the forum is SOOOO much easier to follow. I'm looking forward to seeing it cleaned up.
    I'll try my very best to get it up and running as fast as possible. But also this needs a lot of time... Time that even I don't have enough of, also I've retired from my job (due to health issues) since years.

I'm looking forward to more development for MP2
    There is a lot of development going on behind the curtains. The next "full" release will bring a huge amount of new features and improvements to existing ones. But this also needs time...

the program is reasonably intuitive
    The usability will get even more into focus of development as soon as the underlying technical basics are finished. We are short of hitting this goal (about one or two month, I hope). I know, nobody is interested in the "technical basics" but you can not get maximum fun out of your Corvette (Mustang, Camaro, Charger, GTO,... I really like american muscle cars) if there is no road to drive on...

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    We are currently developing a WMC skin for MP2,
    If you like a first look at this skin:
    Zwischenablage-1.jpg

As a former WMC user you may be very familiar with it, I think...

Juneislostohno

Portal Member
    July 12, 2016
    Home Country
    Hi the new skin looks beautiful. Makes me want to cry. I hope that my questions didn't leave you feeling unappreciated. I certainly do appreciate just how much hard work this must be. Didn't answer sooner because got overwhelmed with changeover on 2 other computers and then the one I thought was gold blew up its motherboard. Right now I'm trying to get MP2 on the one laptop but I'm doing something wrong. I will get it figured out though. You keep up and keep trying and I'll keep up and keep trying.

Juneislostohno

Portal Member
    July 12, 2016
    Home Country
    Ok, so I got through install just now. Have to break for other chores right now, but have logs to share. This time I ran install with my antivirus and anything else unnecessary shut off including internet access. Erased absolutely all files beforehand that I could and ran Ccleaner to clean out registry. Haven't attempted any setup yet. I'll do that after the chores are done. Had no issues at all with install process itself. Previous installs never went smooth, even with file eradication. I'm crossing my fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom