Using Standard Definition Native Resolution for MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Dosen't help much with TV-quality when your STB -> TV-card is connected with s-video.....

roosterx

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2006
    Högsäter, Sweden
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Now that is true, s-video is not the best way to transfer a video signal, but if i understood this post right(by reading *very* quick through it ;))- as we all know, one of the problems with s-video is its bandwidth - or lack of ;) so by reducing the resolution you will automatically get a bit better picture since it isn't so much information traveling through the wire - compared to what a 800x600(or god forbid 1024x768 - in which the video is normally upscaled, and then to be transfered through s-video cable, and then again (sort of) downscaled to a telly that can not show this resoution at all) resolution has.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    Dosen't help much with TV-quality when your STB -> TV-card is connected with s-video.....

This topic is about connecting s-video as an output from the graphics card to a standard TV set and is not about connecting s-video as an input to the capture card.

jackelectronics

Portal Member
    June 27, 2005
    Now that is true, s-video is not the best way to transfer a video signal, but if i understood this post right(by reading *very* quick through it ;))- as we all know, one of the problems with s-video is its bandwidth - or lack of ;) so by reducing the resolution you will automatically get a bit better picture since it isn't so much information traveling through the wire - compared to what a 800x600(or god forbid 1024x768 - in which the video is normally upscaled, and then to be transfered through s-video cable, and then again (sort of) downscaled to a telly that can not show this resoution at all) resolution has.

If you read my topic properly, the native resolution of standard definition TV-OUT is 720x480 for NTSC and 720x576 for PAL. This topic is about setting the actual screen resolution of Windows and MediaPortal to 720x576 and turning off flicker filters and turning on overscan. Then there will be no upscaling or downscaling.

In my opionion, s-video is the best method for connecting standard definition TV sets and is much better than standard composite video. This topic is for those who still want to use standard definition TV sets, not VGA monitors or high definition TV sets and optimising MP to work with it. Although there is RGB SCART, s-video is much easier to set-up.

tiberian9

Portal Member
    April 17, 2006
    Am I being dumb or what? But which file are you changing the settings in and where is it? I cannot see any xml files with settings in that look remotely like what you changing.

cheers

Darren

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Am I being dumb or what? But which file are you changing the settings in and where is it? I cannot see any xml files with settings in that look remotely like what you changing.

cheers

Darren

Inside MediaPortal go to settings, and calibrate your screen. A XML file will appear then in your MP root directory. You can then edit the file by hand.

Salle

Portal Member
    December 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    This was a very interesting post since I have a SDTV. I wont have a svideo on my htpc only rgb scart. How do I set this up then? Also I have an onboard Intel gma 950 grafics card... Please help... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom