vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hey guys,

Up until now i have been using MP on Windows 7 and have decided to upgrade to Windows 10.

I'm curious to know what all of you are doing in your efforts to stop windows 10 auto updates from applying updates and re-booting automatically ?

Thank you.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have Win 10 Pro and have disabled auto updates by modifying the "Group Policy". I can still update manually but only when I want. If you are using Win 10 Home then I believe the best method is to set your internet as a metered connection, which limits auto updates but as I understand may not be 100% effective.:unsure:
    For more info just Google "Stop Win 10 updates".

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you are using Win 10 Home then I believe the best method is to set your internet as a metered connection, which limits auto updates but as I understand may not be 100% effective.:unsure:
    I did this on a laptop with Windows 10, and it is still running version 1607. :eek:

I read in a supposedly-knowledgeable article that Windows will update eventually, but so far that has not happened (but I must admit that I don't boot Windows 10 very often on that laptop). I am still using Windows 7 for my HTPC, and Windows XP on the laptop that I am posting from. :eek:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

vvulture

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2006
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys....

I have Win 10 Pro and have disabled auto updates by modifying the "Group Policy". I can still update manually but only when I want. If you are using Win 10 Home then I believe the best method is to set your internet as a metered connection, which limits auto updates but as I understand may not be 100% effective.:unsure:
    For more info just Google "Stop Win 10 updates".

Which version of Win 10 Pro are you using ?
    From what info i have read, disabling updates in GP is not very effective..

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the replies guys....

Which version of Win 10 Pro are you using ?
    From what info i have read, disabling updates in GP is not very effective..
    I am currently at 1909, for me the GP method has been 100% effective since I set it up following the free upgrade from Win 7.

BTW with 1909 and some earlier versions(since the "Creators Update") it is possible to set an Ethernet internet connection to metered.

Last edited:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I am currently at 1909 and from the first versions I didn’t turn off auto updating, I just set the activity hours and that’s it. 3 HTPC and no problems. :)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    personally, my HTPC resume every day at 1h30AM , due to orchestrator stuff, and few times, MP is not here anymore after resume ....

atlantic

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 9, 2008
    Rennes
    Home Country
    France France
    I have Win10 Home, and personally I click several times on the button "suspend the update 7 days" until reaching 1 month .

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Simple.

Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Change active hours:

Change -> set this to a schedule you are most likely to "watch" something via MediaPortal, for example 10:00am till 4:00am (limit 18h, so there has to be 6h of sleep configured). If you binge through the night or prefer to use MediaPortal earlier in the morning then adjust accordingly.

Start Menu -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Advanced Options:

On -- "Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows" (this ensures VC++ libs get security updates for MediaPortal)
    Off -- "Download updates over metered connections (extra charges may apply)"
    Off -- "Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart, and the device must be on and plugged in."

On -- "Show a notification when your PC requires a restart to finish updating"

PS: Don't ignore update warnings, because restarts will be forced, especially when Microsoft flags them as zero-day patch, as otherwise what's the Fracking point in trying to prevent a large scale infection. But with the above active, you can at least watch your movie, or finish your TV binge session before you reboot and then resume with Windows patched and secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom