VBR codec problems with 1.3.0, but not in 1.2.3 (1 Viewer)

jhb

Portal Pro
September 19, 2006
Gothenburg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I have an interesting problem in my split setup. Installed 1.3.0 and got a lot of stuttering on VBR encoded channels. Both SD and HD. All other channels are fine. I have the same problem on two different frontends also, both are AMD CPUs. The problem is not on all shows, only with a lot of movement (sports, animals), other shows are OK, even on HD (quiz-shows etc). The problem shows like a lot of delays and late Audio or late Video, sometimes discontinuities and so on. The stuttering is roughly 10-15 times per minute.

I have tried:
- UNC paths - no difference
- different codecs
- HW acc on/off
- three different TV-cards for the SD channels

I reinstalled one of the clients with 1.2.3 on the front-end, still using 1.3.0 in the back-end and then all the stuttering is gone. But on the other front-end with 1.3.0 the stuttering is still there.

BTW, the 1.3.0 clients has been on different OSes, one on Win8 and one on Win7, no difference.

Looked through the forum, but couldn't find anything. Any ideas out there?

I have logs, but I prefer not to post them right now as I have a lot of other issues in them (discontinuities due to electrical distusrbancies from my water pump and other other things), that are not related to this problem.

jhb

Portal Pro
September 19, 2006
Gothenburg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Problem solved. Reinstalled windows and mediaportal on one of the computers and the problem disappeared. Now I just need to figure out why...

kev

May 14, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Did you ever figure out what was causing the issues? I have just upgraded from media portal 1.2.3 to 1.3 and I believe I have the same issue, on most of the sports hd channels and when there's a lot of movement and sound on other hd channels. I had no issues with the other installation but these HD channels are now unwatchable so I only use SD channels at the moment.

I brought up the resources to see how much of my processors it was using on HD and the CPU was peaking at 67% and GPU and around the same, so they don't appear to be getting overloaded.

If you figured out why or anyone knows why, it would be great to know.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    If you are using LAV video decoder, open the settings (MP config tool -> Codecs -> TV codecs -> click the screwdriver/wrench icon) and check that 'DXVA2 Native' is selected for the 'Hardware Decoder to use' setting (it defaults to using 'None', which means CPU only).

kev

May 14, 2012
    Home Country
    A massive thank you, I adjusted the settings and what a difference.
    I have the hd5450 graphics card in the tv server machine and noticed that I also disabled the GPU scaling as it still stuttered slightly on that machine, the slave with nvidia I also set it to automatic with regards to using either the CPU or GPU for the work and now it's working perfect on all.

THANKYOU!!

kev

May 14, 2012
    Home Country
    Hmmm
    Still having issues with the main system, it as the HD5450 graphics card and appears to stumble when it has dolby digital output as well as HD on the sports channels, I've tried adjusting lots of settings and its still breaking up..
    Any ideas?

kev

May 14, 2012
    Home Country
    The pc has the following specs:

Acer aspire m3201
    4GB ram
    Quad core AMD phenom 1.8ghz processor
    Windows 7 64bit
    ATI radeon hd5450 graphics card

This unit is also the tv server. Wouldn't know where to find logs?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    To be honest, an HD5450 will probably struggle with 1080i HDTV content (it's the hardware de-interlacing for HD that tends to tip it over the edge - you will probably find 1080p content e.g. Bluray movies are OK, as is SD TV (576i)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom