Version 0.1.3.2 (1 Viewer)

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Version 0.1.3.2 View attachment PureAudio.mpi is available and contains the following updates:

• Fixed error (arithmetic overflow) occuring when playing multi-channel files.
    • E-MU 1820m / Patchmix users: If you set the supported ASIO samplingrates manually (Plugin configuration -> Advanced settings -> ASIO), the autodetection is now skipped. That should stop Patchmix from interrupting.
    • The detection whether webstreams are supported or not by the plugin has again been improved to avoid the plugin from attempting to play video material.

Symphy

krl69

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2006
    Thanx!!

Now we’re talking! :) If I choose Directsound as my output device and not ASIO4ALL, everything plays perfectly.

But sorry to say that when choosing ASIO4ALL as output device, there is still this “first song silence” problem. Not a major issue, but a little annoying. But would ASIO4ALL as the output device in Pureaudio give even more “pure audio” than choosing directsound as the output device? If not, then for me personally I don’t care about asio...

And if I could wish for something it would be a way to automatically play multichannel type of audio file in 5.1 modus(compressed 5.1 files like m4a). Few days ago(MediaPortal SVN-Snapshot: 01-26-2008 15-53h - Revision:17176 ) there was a new option or re-enabling of 5.1 for wmv’s. This new option would force every wmv file to play in 5.1 regardless if the file really was 5.1 or not. Similar option would be a great improvement for the Pureaudio plugin. I have a huge amount of MP3’s and more and more M4A files converted from 5.1 dts wav files. Problem is that when I want to listen to these files in 5.1, I have to manually put the soundcard in 5.1 modus. And switching between 5.1 and stereo several times when having a party or something is VERY annoying!! :)) The option I'm looking for is a way to tell pureaudio to do 5.1 output for example whenever an m4a file is selected. Could it be done without too much effort?

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanx!!

Now we’re talking! :) If I choose Directsound as my output device and not ASIO4ALL, everything plays perfectly.

But sorry to say that when choosing ASIO4ALL as output device, there is still this “first song silence” problem. Not a major issue, but a little annoying. But would ASIO4ALL as the output device in Pureaudio give even more “pure audio” than choosing directsound as the output device? If not, then for me personally I don’t care about asio...

Have not found a solution for that sofar. Thought i had one last weekend, seemed to work for awhile, but turned out to cause other (even worse) problems, so i removed it again...

Yep, the ASIO way would give you a little bit more "pure audio", but that doesn't mean directsound is bad. ASIO makes sense if you have high-quality audio equipment, good ears and a sense of perfection:)

Thanx!!
    And if I could wish for something it would be a way to automatically play multichannel type of audio file in 5.1 modus(compressed 5.1 files like m4a). Few days ago(MediaPortal SVN-Snapshot: 01-26-2008 15-53h - Revision:17176 ) there was a new option or re-enabling of 5.1 for wmv’s. This new option would force every wmv file to play in 5.1 regardless if the file really was 5.1 or not. Similar option would be a great improvement for the Pureaudio plugin. I have a huge amount of MP3’s and more and more M4A files converted from 5.1 dts wav files. Problem is that when I want to listen to these files in 5.1, I have to manually put the soundcard in 5.1 modus. And switching between 5.1 and stereo several times when having a party or something is VERY annoying!! :)) The option I'm looking for is a way to tell pureaudio to do 5.1 output for example whenever an m4a file is selected. Could it be done without too much effort?

Have you tried to set upmixing to 5.1 (Plugin configuration -> General settings -> Upmixing)? It will make the plugin output everything at 5.1....

Don't quite understand though why the soundcard would have to be put in a different modus.. when you play your m4a's, the plugin will output 6 discrete channels...

krl69

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2006
    Unitil you have a solution for the ASIO4ALL driver, I’ll be patient! :) But to be honest, I don’t think I got the hi-fi ears I need to hear the difference. Nevertheless it’s always nice to brag about these kinds of solutions to friends and such. ;-)

Upmixing to 5.1 for everything is not a solution. First of all I do not want to do 5.1 mixing of stereo files. Second I don’t think this upmixing is working as it should because my receiver won’t indicate that I’m playing 5.1 sound and there is no sound coming from my rear speakers. When I’m using this 5.1 option of playing wmv’s, my receiver shows a 5.1 symbol and there is sound coming from my rear speakers. Similar option would be preferred in the pureaudio pluging. Pleeeease! :))

A question: Are there any difference between VST and Winamp plugins? The pureaudio plugin only supports vst pluging, but does it means no winamp pluging support or is it the same type of plugin? If not, could someone give me a hint of a really good DSP or MP3 enhancer VST plugin?! I use the DFX 8.x today for Winamp, but if the pureaudio doesn’t support this plugin, I have to find something similar that could be supported.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Unitil you have a solution for the ASIO4ALL driver, I’ll be patient! :) But to be honest, I don’t think I got the hi-fi ears I need to hear the difference. Nevertheless it’s always nice to brag about these kinds of solutions to friends and such. ;-)
    Yep i know what you mean :)

Upmixing to 5.1 for everything is not a solution. First of all I do not want to do 5.1 mixing of stereo files. Second I don’t think this upmixing is working as it should because my receiver won’t indicate that I’m playing 5.1 sound and there is no sound coming from my rear speakers. When I’m using this 5.1 option of playing wmv’s, my receiver shows a 5.1 symbol and there is sound coming from my rear speakers. Similar option would be preferred in the pureaudio pluging. Pleeeease! :))
    Ok, i forgot about the fact you use SPDIF. I think i have to do some explaination here.

If you play your m4a's, the plugin will decode it into discrete 5.1. Now i don't know what your soundcard does when putting it in 5.1 mode, but it will probably (hopefully for you!!) re-encode it to DTS or DD. This process of decoding and re-encoding causes loss of quality. I'd be interested in a logfile to see if my theory is right.

The feature you ask for, IS this plugin playing the original DTS-wav files directly over ASIO... If that doesn't work for you, we need to find out why that is.

A question: Are there any difference between VST and Winamp plugins? The pureaudio plugin only supports vst pluging, but does it means no winamp pluging support or is it the same type of plugin? If not, could someone give me a hint of a really good DSP or MP3 enhancer VST plugin?! I use the DFX 8.x today for Winamp, but if the pureaudio doesn’t support this plugin, I have to find something similar that could be supported.

Yep they are different things. winamp-plugin support is in the pipeline, so be patient :)

krl69

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2006
    But why does this new option in the config section "Movies" that forces 5.1 wmv's shift to 5.1 decoding on my receiver as it should regardless how my soundcard is configured, but pureaudio doesn't do m4a multichannel to 5.1 output? If I force my soundcard to output everything to DTS 5.1, all my m4a plays like it should. Could it be that my receiver(Pioneer 1016v) don’t recognize discrete 5.1 sound? My soundcard is a Realtek ALC889A.

How would you like to have these logfiles? What should I test? I could play an m4a files with the soundcard configured default to stereo output and then default to 5.1?! There is a quite hearable quality different when I force the soundcard to do DTS 5.1 on stereo files in a negative sense…

And to the VST vs Winamp plugin: In the meantime while I wait for the Winamp support, could you recommend a free VST DSP plugin that can coexist with pureaudio?! Or a commercial one that isn’t to expensive?! :)

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You didn't answer my last post... :)
    Who said i was going to, and when :)

But why does this new option in the config section "Movies" that forces 5.1 wmv's shift to 5.1 decoding on my receiver as it should regardless how my soundcard is configured, but pureaudio doesn't do m4a multichannel to 5.1 output? If I force my soundcard to output everything to DTS 5.1, all my m4a plays like it should. Could it be that my receiver(Pioneer 1016v) don’t recognize discrete 5.1 sound? My soundcard is a Realtek ALC889A.
    Video material takes a complete different route through the system, and the 5.1 sound inthere is not being decoded but sended to s/pdif directly. I dont know what that new option does, you will have to ask that on another forum. Your m4a's are being decoded and can only be send to the receiver in 5.1 format if your soundcard re-encodes it. And that's what's happens apparently when you force the card to 5.1.

How would you like to have these logfiles? What should I test? I could play an m4a files with the soundcard configured default to stereo output and then default to 5.1?! There is a quite hearable quality different when I force the soundcard to do DTS 5.1 on stereo files in a negative sense…
    Never mind.. it has become already clear to me what happens.

And to the VST vs Winamp plugin: In the meantime while I wait for the Winamp support, could you recommend a free VST DSP plugin that can coexist with pureaudio?! Or a commercial one that isn’t to expensive?! :)
    No mp3 enhancers anyway, but Google will help :)

krl69

Portal Pro
    October 12, 2006
    I told you to answer NOW! ;-)

I was only giving you a hint on how to solve my request. As far as I know, video files like wmv's have compressed wma's inside the video file itself. Shouldn’t be that hard to see how others have solved the 5.1 issue... I can't see why I should ask MP developers how to implement a way to do 5.1 output to my receiver through you’re pureaudio plug-in. I would reckon you have closer contact to these guys than me?!

Google? What's that? Of course I have googled... I'm an IT-manager and have been doing computers for nearly 30 years. I haven’t found any free VST's that does MP3 enhancing. But there are lots of Winamp plugins...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom