Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Everything seems to work fine with Bass 2.4, so time for the 0.2.1.0 final

Added an extra setting "Enable garbage collector fix":
    If you are using ASIO and having problems with the sound "breaking" just before each songchange, turning this on will probably fix it for you. You can find it on the "Advanced" tab of the plugin configuration.

A better solution for this problem (in MP itself) is being worked on, so this option will become obsolete again with one of the next svn builds and probably with the release of MediaPortal 1.0.1

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Big :D Symphy for your great work! Everything seems to work fine and no more humming :D between the tracks!

Best regards

Helios

burken

Portal Member
    May 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I am still running MediaPortal 1.0.0.0 so I guess I cannot use PureAudio 0.2.1.0, right?

I have a question about PureAudio 0.2.1.0:
    Does this version support setting Minimum supported sampling rate to more than 48 kHz?
    I would like to have PureAudio upsample 44.1 kHz to 88.2 kHz but I cannot find this setting in 0.2.0.3 but in the beta thread for 0.2.1 there were a lot of talk about 96/24 support so I am guessing that this might be possible in the latest version. Is that correct?

The reason I would like to upsample to 88.2 kHz is that my receiver has a special mode for 88.2 khz and 96 kHz where some cheap internal filters are bypassed. It also turns off Dolby ProLogic by default in this mode so I don't have to do it manually when going from playing video to playing music.

burken

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I am still running MediaPortal 1.0.0.0 so I guess I cannot use PureAudio 0.2.1.0, right?
    Right

I have a question about PureAudio 0.2.1.0:
    Does this version support setting Minimum supported sampling rate to more than 48 kHz?
    I would like to have PureAudio upsample 44.1 kHz to 88.2 kHz but I cannot find this setting in 0.2.0.3 but in the beta thread for 0.2.1 there were a lot of talk about 96/24 support so I am guessing that this might be possible in the latest version. Is that correct?
    These min/max settings haven't changed, but playback of 24/96 sources is supported. Also in the earlier versions though.

The reason I would like to upsample to 88.2 kHz is that my receiver has a special mode for 88.2 khz and 96 kHz where some cheap internal filters are bypassed. It also turns off Dolby ProLogic by default in this mode so I don't have to do it manually when going from playing video to playing music.

burken
    Assuming your spdif-out supports these samplingrates (not all do!), your lucky!
    The plugin contains a hidden setting that will double the samplingrate. I'ts been removed from the configuration form, (and i don't remember why i did that...) but for the time being you can enable it by manually editing the settings:
    1. Open this file in notepad: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.xml
    2. look for <section name="PureAudio">
    3. a bit more downwards you'll find <entry name="UseOverSampling">no</entry>
    4. change 'no' into 'yes' and save your changes

In the logfile (debuglevel) you'll find a message saying "Oversampling 44100 -> 88200" if it is working right.
    I will re-add this setting to the configuration applet with the next version.

burken

Portal Member
    May 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for the info.

I tried the UseOverSampling setting and it worked for 96 kHz but not 88.2 kHz. Funnily enough the receiver switched mode and indicated "PCM STEREO 88K" in its display but the music didn't start in MediaPortal (it got stuck at 00:00).
    In the log file I got this entry:
    [Info.][PureAudio.Main]: PureAudio: _ASIOEngine.Driver.SetSampleRate failed: ASIO4ALL: Not my fault! (-995).
    So I guess my Realtek audio driver cannot handle 88.2 kHz properly.

In the sound card properties in Control Panel I can test that 88.2 kHz works and it does and I have put a check mark in the 88.2 kHz check box. But in the list of sampling rates that can be selected for use in shared mode 88.2 kHz is missing. So I guess this is some kind driver or Windows limitation.

So while I can do upsamling of 44.1 kHz to 96 kHz I don't think this is a good idea if I want to get as good sound as possible.

burken

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yep looks like a driver issue to me.
    Upsampling 44.1 to 96 probably won't do you any good. It depends a bit on how bad those filters are that your receiver bypasses at that rate.

burken

Portal Member
    May 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I got it to work on 88.2 khz!

I just wouldn't let go of this so I tried one more thing that solved the problem:
    Disabling anything except the SPDIF device in the ASIO settings.
    I guess the driver doesn't accept 88.2 kHz for analog output but only for digital output and gives up when the application tries to set analog output to 88.2 kHz.

This is nice. Now I don't have to use the remote control control for the amplifier to enable/disable Dolby Pro-Logic when going from playing a movie to playing music.

Not that this is a real problem compared to famine in Africa but anyway...

burken

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    Assuming your spdif-out supports these samplingrates (not all do!), your lucky!
    The plugin contains a hidden setting that will double the samplingrate. I'ts been removed from the configuration form, (and i don't remember why i did that...) but for the time being you can enable it by manually editing the settings:
    1. Open this file in notepad: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.xml
    2. look for <section name="PureAudio">
    3. a bit more downwards you'll find <entry name="UseOverSampling">no</entry>
    4. change 'no' into 'yes' and save your changes

In the logfile (debuglevel) you'll find a message saying "Oversampling 44100 -> 88200" if it is working right.
    I will re-add this setting to the configuration applet with the next version.

:eek: Symphy you have done it again. I spent some time yesterday setting this up plus some EQ, and the difference is staggering. I was even able to demonstrate to my only-slightly-interested-girlfriend the difference. The fact that she could spot the difference blind was a bit of proof.

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Delay

Hi Symphy,

This morning I upgraded to MP v1.0.1, and as part of that upgrade I decided to give your latest plugin another try. In this post I described a problem where there is a delay of ~30 seconds before the first song starts playing. Unfortunately your latest plugin is still giving me the same problem. I've attached two logs, one without the PureAudio plugin (no problem) and one with the PureAudio plugin (delay visible). If there is anything you'd like me to try and troubleshoot the issue then please let me know. For what it's worth, my system has two sound cards; one onboard the motherboard (Realtek ALC882) and one on the ATI Radeon HD3450 graphics card. When I watch TV, movies etc I use the Radeon soundcard (HDMI to my LCD TV), and when I play music I use the motherboard soundcard which is linked up directly to my amplifier using SPDIF. Thanks in advance for your help.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Hi,
    I'm new to the ASIO music player idea and would like to try it. However, this forum doesn't have any thread that explains anything about the ASIO music player or a link to download it. There are 4 sticky threads to do with the latest WMPlayer and other things, but I don't know what those are for - I don't want Windows Media Player and I don't know what "PureAudio" has to do with "ASIO music player".

There's this thread saying that there's a new 0.2.1.0 final version available, but no link, no description, and no explanation as to how to get it and what to configure.

I must be missing something! I tried checking the Media Portal plugins section, but the only ASIO links are to a 0.2.0.0 version that appears quite old. The other links don't seem to be related to anything like a "ASIO music player".

The idea sounds good but without any explanation or links I think only the long-time hardcore users that have been following this since the beginning can use it - there's no way for new users to try it out!

Dir

Ok I think I've figured out that "PureAudio" is in fact the ASIO music player. At least, I assume it is since the sticky for PureAudio has a 0.2.1.0 version available.

Somewhere along the way I'm guessing that "ASIO Music Player" has been renamed to "PureAudio"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom