Vertical (should read Horizontal!) tearing problem...... (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Since fresh install of Windows 10....am noticing frequent tearing near top of screen! (Live and Recorded TV)
Using Kiwijunglist's excellent guide...I have always set Vertical sync to 'on', and had no problem till now.
(Using Nvidia GT430 btw!)
Are there any more adjustments that I might make to address this issue??

Thanks

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
Will this do??
upload_2015-9-2_23-52-33.png

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The logs and render stats look OK. We don't normally reccomend using MediaPortal Audio Render for live TV, but I doubt that is causing the tearing problem.

Are you using 'DXVA2 (native)' in LAV Video Decoder (which is normally the best setting for Hardware Acceleration) ?

Attachments

• LAV Video settings.jpg
      LAV Video settings.jpg
      120.6 KB

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    do you mean vertical or horizontal tearing?.....

Absolutely right...should be saying Horizontal!!...:confused:

........We don't normally reccomend using MediaPortal Audio Render for live TV, .............
    Much confusion here for me....Using LAV in general....with MPAR.....isn't that the recommended combo??
    Is it just a case of subjectively 'suck and see'ing....or is there a way of finding the best settings?

In addition....I'm connecting via HDMI to a Yamaha RX-V771 AV amp.....and always find myself wondering if my PC is sending processed audio....effectively making the processing power of the amp redundant. Alternatively....is audio being processed twice??

With Bitsreaming un-selected.....PCM is shown on the Yamaha display....wheras when selected....DTS, True HD etc is shown, and somehow I get a warm glow thinking that the amp is doing it's job. Would love some clarification here if that's possible!!

Are you using 'DXVA2 (native)' in LAV Video Decoder (which is normally the best setting for Hardware Acceleration) ?

Well I have been setting this to CUVID....believing (perhaps foolishly!) that this was the best setting. I've reverted to DXVA2 and the tearing is still present!

Thanks again for comments...any further info welcomed!!
    Kev

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    with MPAR.....isn't that the recommended combo??
    MPAR can cause a lot of issues, hence no, not the recommended combo. The better option would be to also use LAV in combination with the Default Direct Sound Device.

With Bitsreaming un-selected.....PCM is shown on the Yamaha display....wheras when selected....DTS, True HD etc is shown,
    Bitstreaming stands for unprocessed sound data being passed to the connected device. Probably the preferred way of doing things. In your case deactivating bitstream lets the PC and the Windows Audio mixer etc. kick in and you probably have defined the loudspeaker environment to be stereo only. Leave it on bitstream and everything is fine.

Well I have been setting this to CUVID....believing (perhaps foolishly!) that this was the best setting. I've reverted to DXVA2 and the tearing is still present!
    I have three systems that use an Intel CPU - and they all behave differently with respect to the hardware acceleration. As it stands there is no clear recommendation which one to use under Win 10 (Intel drivers still appear to be in development) and best thing would be to test them all.

With respect to the observed horizontal tearing, your screenshot is not showing it. Any chance to make a new one that captures the problem?

Last edited:

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Might be you dont use an windows aero theme. Aero needs to be turned on, atleast that was the case for windows 7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom