Vertical (should read Horizontal!) tearing problem...... (1 Viewer)

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
February 10, 2012
Leeds
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
.........The reason you have tearing on one display not the other is because you can only vsync one display.

This seems to be at the heart of the problem!

Which monitor/TV does Windows think is primary?
If it is the DVI-connected monitor, what happens if you switch the primary monitor to be the TV?

Running a single screen....either DVI or HDMI....that screen 'attracts' V-Sync....and runs with no problems.
Once a 2nd screen is introduced.....V-sync only goes to the DVI side (that's my PC monitor)..and the problem re-occurs at the HDMI.

Succeeded in making the HDMI the 'main' display....but V-sync stil reverts back to the HDMI screen when both are run together.

Now if there was some way of switching this...so the HDMI o/p was prioritised for V-sync!!???

Many thanks!

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Which monitor/TV does Windows think is primary?
    If it is the DVI-connected monitor, what happens if you switch the primary monitor to be the TV?
    They're 'duplicated' as far as I know. Looked in Nvidia control panel....seems to have no make primary/secondary option...:oops:

In Windows....they appear as 2 generic monitors...again not obvious which is primary.
    Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

Do you mean the two monitors are running in 'clone' mode i.e. both have an identical display ?

If so, does the problem still happen if they are run in 'extended desktop' mode i.e. each monitor shows part of a desktop that spans both of them ?

Were you using the same monitor arrangement before the upgrade to Win 10, and did it work OK (and which version of windows) ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something you could try (but no idea if it will make a difference) is to try a tweak to the MP1 EVR Presenter behaviour (in the windows registry) - see below.

The possible registry settings in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\EVR Presenter" (with their default settings) are :

EnableDWMQueuedMode = 0
    EnableMMCSSforDWM = 0
    EnableMMCSSforSchedulerThread = 1
    NumDWMBuffers = 3
    EnableDWMAudioDelayComp = 0
    SampleQueueSize = 5
    WorkerThreadMmcssPriority = 1
    TimerThreadMmcssPriority = 0
    SchedulerThreadMmcssPriority = 2
    ForceFirstFrame = 0
    LowResVSyncCorrectionTiming = 0
    FPSLimitFrameRate = 0
    FPSLimitHeightThresh = 700
    FPSLimitWidthThresh = 1200
    EnableLateDWMInit = 0
    Enable24HzDWM = 1
    EnableDWMInitSleep = 1
    LogAllFrameDrops = 0

I suggest trying EnableDWMQueuedMode = 1 and NumDWMBuffers = 4 and see if that helps.

You don't need to restart MP after changes - just stop video playback and start it again to pick up the new settings. If you mess up the settings, just delete the whole lot and it will create a new default set next time you play something. Some of the settings are decidedly esoteric/for debug/basically obsolete, so don't just change things randomly in the hope it might get better - you'll just get lost and confused.

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    Yes....they do run in 'clone' mode....but the HDMI side exhibits the 'tearing'

Will try the registry thing above in #23....and come back!!

tonewheelkev

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2012
    Leeds
    Home Country
    The extended desktop thing works...no tearing!!
    Not entirely sure its giving me the result I wanted tho'....will experiment nevertheless!!

Still yet to try the registry tweak from Owlsroost.....I'm even more of a coward when it comes to messing with this!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom