Very slow database performance (1 Viewer)

malakudi

Portal Member
January 28, 2007
Home Country
Greece Greece
TV-Server Version: 1.0.RC4
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.RC4
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: Vista 32bit
CPU Type: Intel Core2Duo 3GHz
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR4000
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T/S/S2/Analog Hybrid
1. TV Card Driver: Technotrend S2-3200
2. TV Card: DVB-S/S2
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: various
MPEG2 Audio Codec: various
h.264 Video Codec: various
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Using tvserver with mysql in singleseat environment. The performance of the database is very slow. Clean install - scanning hotbird 13E and get about 2000 channels in the database, grouped in provider groups. Loading the channel list in tvserver configuration takes 15 seconds!!! Same amount of time to load channel list inside mediaportal. Changing a channel in tvserver configuration preview or inside mediaportal, gives for the next 13-15 seconds really high cpu usage on mysql server. And that's only for 2000 channels. What if I scan all the satellites I can receive and have 10000-12000 channels? Inserting channels in the DB after scan of a transpode also maximizes CPU usage for some seconds.
I don't know if this doesn't happen in MSSQL. I am not willing to try MSSQL. The whole idea of using a DBMS for the channel data and EPG is good, considering it performs similar or better when compaired to non-DBMS usage. Similar to mediaportal programs handle channel lists of 10000-12000 channels in less than a second, and they don't use a DBMS. Mediaportal should do that as well, using DBMS or not.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    Not able to confirm this, so attach(as required in bug section) all logs collected with MediaPortal Logs Collector found in folder on start menu.

Regards
    Roy

malakudi

Portal Member
    January 28, 2007
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Hi,
    Not able to confirm this, so attach(as required in bug section) all logs collected with MediaPortal Logs Collector found in folder on start menu.

Regards
    Roy

What do you mean that you weren't able to verify? How much time does it take for you to open the channel list in either TV Server configuration or inside Mediaportal? I am running MySQL database (the one mediaportal rc4 installs), have about 2000 channels grouped in provider groups, and it takes fifteen (15!!!) seconds to just open channel list. You have a setup like the one I describe and you can't confirm this? How much time does it take for you to open the channel list either inside tv server configuration or mediaportal?
    I can provide logs, but as I understand the whole concept of using .net database connectors with mysql seems to be broken. There are numerous bug reports on the same concept (slowness on EPG operation also mysql related).
    I believe the approach taken is totally wrong. Look for dreambox, it uses a plain text database format and can load 10.000 of channels of numerous packages and satellites in miliseconds, in a computer platform that is 300MHz mips or powerpc, many times slower than common computers novadays. The whole DBMS concept is an overkill (especially MSSQL), and IMHO, totally wrong.
    I understand a change in this cannot take place now, in final RC, but the developer team should consider it for next major releases, after 1.0. And if the ease of programming a DBMS offers is more attractive that to the performance a custom database system can have, at least consider to fix the performance on the leightweight MySQL DBMS platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom