Very unstable software (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanzg

February 5, 2006
I installed the media portal few times (different versions) and I am really disappointed. This software is full of bugs and I must be a programmer to make this software working normal. I have never seen something like this. May be it is better that you work on stability instead that you include all of this unnecessary plug-in, addins ...
I have MCE2005 and it is works perfectly. Without any touching in preferences or other things... It is simply works. but media portal... there is always problem with bugs... from disappearing text to block all function when I play radio. I have good configuration ( athlon643000+, 200gb HD, 1GB MEM.) and fresh installed operating system and that cannot be reason for problems with media portal. You can not release the software before testing on many more computers even if this takes a long time to finish.

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
I'm not going to lie to you but i don't have any problems with MP crashing and so forth at all , the only thing that is a bit off at the moment is the TV module for me , and they are doing work on it constantly . Perhaps if you post a log and the support template we might be able to see what the problem is?

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Technically this software isn't released - we've still got a while until our first 1.0 release, as you can see we're currently only working on a 0.2 release candidate.

If you want something that will work straight out of the box, then MCE2005 may be a better piece of software for you. However, if you want to take the time to detail your problems, then we may be able to help get MP working for you, as I and many others here have fairly reliable and stable setups.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    ivanzg said:
    I installed the media portal few times (different versions) and I am really disappointed. This software is full of bugs and I must be a programmer to make this software working normal. I have never seen something like this. May be it is better that you work on stability instead that you include all of this unnecessary plug-in, addins ...
    I have MCE2005 and it is works perfectly. Without any touching in preferences or other things... It is simply works. but media portal... there is always problem with bugs... from disappearing text to block all function when I play radio. I have good configuration ( athlon643000+, 200gb HD, 1GB MEM.) and fresh installed operating system and that cannot be reason for problems with media portal. You can not release the software before testing on many more computers even if this takes a long time to finish.

I'm not a programmer and I have little to no problems using MP on a DAILY basis in my livingroom!

Also keep in mind (since you're obviously not looking at this rationally), MCE is a commercial product which has gone through months/years of testing and improvement and is considered a FINAL RELEASE. Media Portal is still BETA SOFTWARE, it hasn't even reached a v1.0 release yet. As with ANY beta software, there are going to be bugs.

If you don't have the patience, or somewhat of a technical expertise to try different MP settings if something isn't working, then perhaps MCE is indeed the product for you.

Koschel

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 6, 2005
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Considering DVB-S, EPG and that you need plugins e.g. the weatherforecast you can not say MCE 2005 is working perfect.
    If you want to use DVB-S with MCE 2005 and having a perfect EPG, you need do to some work. In my opinion MCE 2005 is not as perfect as you think.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    And for my five pennys worth just love a challenge, and seeing the day to day improvements that we all BENEFIT from.

Best wishes

Ray 8)

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    You can not release the software before testing on many more computers even if this takes a long time to finish.

MP is used (implied testing) daily on thousands of computers. Share your full specs and start a support thread and perhaps some of these kind people will help you get MP running.

Chump!

lvluna

February 5, 2006
    I'm not using MediaPortal for a different reason, but this kind of critisism seams rather unfair to me. The specs of my PC don't come close to yours, but I installed and run MediaPortal without stability problems. Further, if you compare MediaPortals functionality with MCE's functionality, there are not much areas where MCE beats MediaPortal. And whats most important: did you ever get Microsoft people to volunteer solving YOUR problems like the MediaPortal guys above do?
    Cheers, Luna

hmvink

Portal Member
    January 8, 2005
    Netherlands
    I have used both and prefer MP over MCE 2005. I find MP stable enough and use it daily. What I like most is the support by a large, and growing, community. There is always somebody helping somebody else out.

If you want to be helped... change your attitute!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom