Video card with TV out (1 Viewer)

01&G

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
Wellington
Hi guys,

Can you give me a list (5-6 agp/pci/usb) of best video cards with TV out and remote control which support Media portal, please? :D

I already have a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE for vidoe capture but this card does not support a TV out :cry:

Really appreciaed :D

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
TV out is supplied by the graphics card, not by the TV card. If you find a TV card with TV out, you cannot use it with Media Portal, because that output would only be able to decode MPEG-2. So it usually can't output GUI or other stuff.

Concerning graphics cards, go for a decent nVidia (preferred) or ATI.

01&G

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
Wellington
mPod said:
TV out is supplied by the graphics card, not by the TV card. If you find a TV card with TV out, you cannot use it with Media Portal, because that output would only be able to decode MPEG-2. So it usually can't output GUI or other stuff. Concerning graphics cards, go for a decent nVidia (preferred) or ATI.

I thought the graphic cards and video cards are same things :D Thanks anyway. Do you know if I can use MCE2005 remote and WinXPProSP2 and MP together? I mean will MCE2005 wotks with WinXPPro thought MP? Or do I need WinXPMCE, not XPPro? Thanks

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
01&G said:
I thought the graphic cards and video cards are same things :D Thanks anyway. Do you know if I can use MCE2005 remote and WinXPProSP2 and MP together? I mean will MCE2005 wotks with WinXPPro thought MP? Or do I need WinXPMCE, not XPPro? Thanks
Well, you got a graphics card for VGA and a TV card for receiving TV transmissions. You can get 2 in 1 cards, but that's not the best idea. Best would be to go for a DVB card. Depending on what you receive, you have your choice between DVB-T, DVB-C or DVB-S. This is digital TV, is most trouble-free and gives you the best quality you can get. Some channels even provide AC3 multichannel sound.
The MCE remotes are natively supported by MP for XP Professional. No real need to install MCE, if you don't have it already installed. XP Pro is the main target platform for MP.

01&G

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
Wellington
mPod said:
Well, you got a graphics card for VGA and a TV card for receiving TV transmissions. You can get 2 in 1 cards, but that's not the best idea.
Yep, I already have the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE as TV card, but stuck with a graphic card. :(

mPod said:
Best would be to go for a DVB card. Depending on what you receive, you have your choice between DVB-T, DVB-C or DVB-S. This is digital TV, is most trouble-free and gives you the best quality you can get. Some channels even provide AC3 multichannel sound.
Unfortunately no, as I don’t have a digital TV set and I’m not going to buy one in near future. :( My TV is a 29” analog one. So I need a graphic card for the TV like my. Any suggestion? BTW: What is a DVB card?

mPod said:
The MCE remotes are natively supported by MP for XP Professional. No real need to install MCE, if you don't have it already installed. XP Pro is the main target platform for MP.
Thanks. So WinXPProSP2 + MP + MCE2005 remote = Ok? I found one remote on sell right now, but would like to be sure. :) Does MCE depend from a graphic card?

Thanks for your help.

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
You don't need a digital TV set for using DVB (Digital Video Broadcast) with MP. The only thing you would need is a DVB card in your HTPC. That's it, nothing more. The graphics card (and the analog output for TV) is totally independend from that.

If you're talking about Microsoft's Media Center Edition 2005, (why using it anyway?!?) the best choice would be here as well a decent nVidia (my favourite) or an ATI card. Of course, the newer it is, the better. Just make sure the graphics card is capable of accelerating DirectX 9. This is the de-facto-standard for decent HTPC apps like MCE or MP.

01&G

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
Wellington
mPod said:
You don't need a digital TV set for using DVB (Digital Video Broadcast) with MP. The only thing you would need is a DVB card in your HTPC. That's it, nothing more. The graphics card (and the analog output for TV) is totally independend from that.

Thanks, this is a good news. :) Then can you give me an info please what are/is different between DVB-T, DVB-C or DVB-S and which I need one? Can you post a link where I can read more about them please?

mPod said:
If you're talking about Microsoft's Media Center Edition 2005, (why using it anyway?!?)
No, you did not get it, I'm talking about this one My understanding is that I need something to control a MP, not keyboard and mouse

mPod said:
the best choice would be here as well a decent nVidia (my favourite)
Can you list a few ones, please?
:D

Ones again thanks for help and patience :D

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
what are/is different between DVB-T, DVB-C or DVB-S

Terrestrial (ie received via Antenna, usually on your roof)
Cable
Satelite

and which I need one?

Depends on what is available in your country

Can you post a link where I can read more about them please?
http://www.dvb.org

Can you list a few ones, please?
Anything >= FX5200 supports DX9. Which one depends on budget, noise, need for speed, etc. Check out hardware requirements.

01&G

Portal Member
July 5, 2005
Wellington
vbap said:
Terrestrial (ie received via Antenna, usually on your roof)
Cable
Satelite
Ok, thanks

vbap said:
Depends on what is available in your country
I did not get it.
New Zealand has chosen the DVB family of standards for digital TV. At present digital satellite TV is the main area of development and New Zealand television broadcasters have yet to determine when digital terrestrial services will be introduced.

vbap said:
Anything >= FX5200 supports DX9. Which one depends on budget, noise, need for speed, etc. Check out hardware requirements.
Thanks very much

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom