1.27.0 1.26.0 1.25.0 Video playback only successful after second attempt when returning from standby (1 Viewer)

AlunS

Portal Pro
October 28, 2011
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
Country flag
I'm having a strange one here ... it seems to have started after getting a new Sony 4k TV, and manifests itself by refusing to start any video playback, no matter if it's live TV, recorded TV or a movie/TV show the first time I attempt it after returning from standby.

At the first attempt there's a slight pause, the screen flickers briefly, sometimes you hear a very brief bit of sound, and then it returns to whatever menu you used to start the video playback.

Then at the second attempt it works fine, and all subsequent attempts work fine also, until it gets put into standby again.

It's a Pentium G4600 based system with intel HD Graphics 630 running Windows 10, all drivers etc. up to date.

I've included debug logs which cover attempting to play a recorded TV program immediately after resume. It's from when I was running v 1.26, but have just installed 1.27 and it's the same.

Attachments

• MP Logs.zip
    50.8 KB · Views: 0

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Country flag
    refusing to start any video playback, no matter if it's live TV, recorded TV or a movie/TV show the first time I attempt it after returning from standby.
    I looked at your log file, but as usual the log file is unintelligible gobbledegook. :(
    I don't know what the problem is, but some suggestions:

(1) Are you using sleep or hibernation? There is a line in the log file that specifically mentions hibernate, but that may be misleading, If you are using hibernation, it might be worth trying sleep and seeing if that makes a difference.

(2) There are some entries in the log file that suggest that you are trying to use Teletext subtitles. I don't recollect seeing those entries in my log files, so I would suggest that you use "TV Server Config" and "MP Config" to disable all subtitles, and seeing if that makes a difference.

(3) Are you sleeping/hibernating the system with MP still running? If you are, I would suggest that you close MP and exit to the Windows desktop before sleeping/hibernating the system. Remember that if you enable the "MPTray" utility (in "MP Config"), you can start MP from the Windows desktop by pressing the "green marble" button on your MCE RC6 remote control (you don't need to use a mouse). I always exit to the Windows desktop before hibernating my system.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Country flag
    I'm definitely using sleep, not hibernation and I've also disabled what Windows 10 calls "hybrid sleep".

I am putting the system into sleep with MP still running, but not actively playing anything. It's usually either in the EPG or main menu when I do it.

If it helps, if immediately after resuming instead of trying to start watching something I stop and restart MP it works fine. Having to do that every time, or alternatively having to drop back to Windows before hibernating which would amount to the same thing would seriously reduce the WAF, which is at an all time low anyway as it is.

I'll give the subtitles a go and report back but I'm not hopeful.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Try unchecking the setting shown in the attached screenshot, if ticked. For further info see here.

314336_config1.jpg

AlunS

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2011
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Country flag
    Wow, thanks! That worked a treat. I'd always wondered what that setting did, but as it was on by default and didn't seem to be relevant to my issue I left it alone.

I wonder also if it has something to do with the problems I am having getting refresh rate changing to work. I get a similar phenomenon when I attempt a refresh rate change, i.e. a quick flash of a black screen and a chirp from the audio. Interesting.

EDIT: Just tried it and refresh rate change works perfectly now too. If that setting can cause so many problems, maybe it should be set to off by default? I searched for weeks trying to find a solution to both these problems and was almost ready to give up, I owe you a virtual beer!!

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    I have asked a couple of times to have the default for that setting to be set disabled, but clearly it is not a problem for everyone and perhaps there are negative implications though I have never experienced any. I and a couple of others had this and reported it on the upgrade to MP 1.21 and there have been a handful of incidences since. Interesting that your problem seems to have come with the change of display, maybe a clue there for the devs.
    Good to hear everything is working again.:)

P.S. If we ever get out of lockdown I will take you up on that virtual beer.(y)

Users who are viewing this thread