Video skipping over wlan (1 Viewer)

HDKev

November 8, 2005
I'm having problems with my video skipping or hesitating every couple of minutes or so when playing video's from my other 2 pc's in the house. I haev Media Portal installed on a pc that I'm using exclusevly for my home theatre and download TV shows and movies of BT. but when I play them through MP they do this. What would cause this and what would be a solution? Thanks for any input

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    MP doesnt buffer the video before playing so any type of slowness in the network or hesitation on the pc's its pulling the video from can do it. Just using one of the pc's that is sending the video can be enough. Hard to pinpoint as it could be the network setup or the hdd config on the computers.

We've got 11g wireless here, and thats still fast enough for people to watch shows on the tv (MP box) and for people to watch recorded shows off the MP box in other rooms at the sametime.

HDKev

November 8, 2005
    I'm using 11G as well. I could understand that from my roommates computer. cause it's resources are way overloaded. but that doesn't explain why that would happen from mine. is there a way to get MP to buffer? or should that be a feature suggestion?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I figured MP mustn't be buffering, but if it uses WMP as it's playback engine then wouldn't WMP add the buffering?

If I'm on the wrong track, would it be a feature request that the Devs are considering? My setup is via cat5, but when the server PC is uploading torrents I get this problem and the WAF plummets.

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    i had wireless-b 11MBPS and it was slow as all hell..i had to chnge it over to wireless-g 54MBPS...and it works *pretty well* ...svcds and dvd's cannot quite play smoothly, but xvids are perfect ....and i measured my MPBS with "Bandwidth Monitor" ..its ends up im getting more like 13MBPS at peaks and roughly 10MBPS ...i am prolly gunna wire up my whole house with ethernet soon..so i wont have those problems

HDKev

November 8, 2005
    Well what is the internal player in MP? doesn't it have some sort of buffering? how could we enable this option. cause 10mbps should be more then enough for xvids. considering xvids run at approx 2mbps my wireless network running (in reality) at 15 should more then cover that. so has to either be the host computer (which I doubt) or simple buffering problems. Anyways, sure hope it get's figured out here. I love this program!

HDKev

November 8, 2005
    ok, so I was doing some thinking on this. I thought I would try mapping my remote media folder's as a network drive thinking that maybe that would help with the buffering issues. and it seemed to make a small difference. now the audio doesn't skip at all, but the video still makes the same hesitation. Does anyone know what the internal video player for MP is? and how we could enable buffering for streaming content?

hakuna

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2004
    Gothenburg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    If the question is about wlan, the topic is quite misleading...
    Anyways, if you are running over wireless lan, I have a hint:
    When I had WEP enable I could not watch movies well over the wlan, I suspect my slow computers (677 and 500). When I run uncrypted it is ok.

/Niclas

Slayers83

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi, i have the same problem without WPA or WEP...
    I use the 56mbit/s wlan speed.
    Good Holidays. :D

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    you'll only get around 2MB/sec effective with good devices in the same room - that's not enough for the bandwidth peaks of most TV channels.

WMP9 does buffer indeed but for videos MP's internal player is used which does not and must not do any buffering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom