Video Stutter - Periodic Dropped Frame (1 Viewer)

sam481632

May 12, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi,

I am watching 23.976 fps video on a 50 hz LCD TV (24 not supported) and the video stutters every couple of minutes. Stats show that a frame or two is dropped every 1min 40seconds which is causing the stutter. I have tried changing video/audio codecs but does not help. Changing TV to 60 hz also has no effect on the dropped frames or time period. The video files play fine on my PS3 so not sure what the problem is on my HTPC.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

(Log file is attached)

sam481632

May 12, 2012
Home Country
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. All the videos play fine with Media Player Classic so I think it's a problem with MediaPortal itself. I have no idea how to fix it though. I have tried backing up MP, reinstalling then restoring settings but the problem persists.

I have been using MP for about a month and only noticed the problem in the past week, so I'm not sure if something got corrupted. I haven't installed anything new so not sure how it would have happened.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Can you upload full logs?
    Tried different video codecs?

If you wait for MP 1.3.0 Alpha there will be MediaPortal Audio Renderer available which can speedup 23,976 fps to 25 fps so that you shouldnt have any judder with your 50Hz display.

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Are you playing files stored locally, or over the LAN? If over the LAN, try local playback.

Selection of audio renderer in the videos codec section can make a difference to (instead of default, try choosing direct - whichever device).

sam481632

May 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for the responses. I don't think its a frame rate issue as the problem also happens with 25 fps videos. Switching codecs or audio renderers has no effect. I am playing the files locally. Files play fine in MPC-HC so it appears to be a MediaPortal issue.

I decided to manually reinstall MP (without backup plugin) and it seemed to fix the problem for short while. All videos played fine for a couple of days but now the problem has returned. I made sure not to install or change anything so it seems the problem can just come back by itself. Previously the problem was permanent, but at the moment I find that I can temporarily fix it by restarting MP. Don't know what is causing this, so I have no idea what to do if the problem becomes permanent again.

From the logs I see that the frames are dropped exactly every 107 seconds, but plays fine in between. Could this be caused by some periodic MP background process/error?

Full logs attached. Thanks!

Pittiplatsch

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 11, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have the same problem. So my first question is, has anybody solved this problem?
    If not, my feeling is that the problem are the databases and/or mysql. When I reinstall MP the problem was fixed, but after I copied the old db from Movingpictures or Musicdatabase into the new MP there was the stuttering again.
    Can I see in any log-file the database acceses? Or any other Idea how I can find out if the databases are realy the problem?

BlockbusterF

Portal Member
    March 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I have EXACTLY the same problem right now. 2 or 3 dropped frames in evrenderer log every 1min40s. Sometimes a restart of MP helps, but mostly not. I'm absolutly sure it has nothing to do with codecs or display timing/refresh rates etc. Tried a lot. Disabling all plugins also doesn't seem to have any effect.
    Has anybody an solution found for this?
    My HTPC is a Windows 7 x86 with MP1.3 final. All up to date. I'm going crazy here looking at the stats all the time.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Try running MP in windowed mode and have Task Manager open alongside - see if you get regular CPU spikes every 100s.

BlockbusterF

Portal Member
    March 9, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also tried that already and there were no spikes at all. Just checked again...and yes, absultely nothing to see. No spikes on CPU or I/O load

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom