Video Stuttering... yet again (1 Viewer)

g1r2e3g

Portal Member
July 24, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Urgh! Just installed 1.4 upgrade and all my video is stuttering yet again and frankly I don't think I have the patience to spend 15 hours fixing it. Should have known better than to 'upgrade'.

Sorry but I really will never understand why videos play in windows environment with VLC with no issues, but in the MP environment I need to spend 8 weeks tweaking refresh rate settings to get one type of video to work, which in turn throws out 4 other types.

Sorry media portal but I think with this one you've lost me, I give up.

ps. For those hardcore fans (who must all have comp sci degrees and no job so have all the time in the world to tweak this thing).... this is not a cry for help, I do not wish to give you my logs, this time round I don't want you to fix it... I just wanted to vent my utter exhaustion at the hours and hours I've given MePo with little to no return on investment. I honestly do support you in your endeavours, and I hope others are getting satisfaction where I have failed.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...who must all have comp sci degrees and no job so have all the time in the world to tweak this thing
    I think this is a bit unfair, but I do hear the message loud and clear.
    Sorry to hear you're so fed up and good luck with whatever other software you decide to use. :)

pody

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I can actually understand your outburst fully. I just watched Parker on MP 1.4 with stuttering on and off throughout the entire movie. It's getting a bit ridiculous at this point. I didn't think I would be getting these problems again, but 1.4 surely proved me wrong. I'm still not giving up on it yet though.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, help is here if you want it. :)
    I have no idea why g1r2e3g thinks that it needs to take 15 hours to solve such problems, but it surely could take that long if you insist on trying to solve the problem by yourself.

pody

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, help is here if you want it. :)
    I have no idea why g1r2e3g thinks that it needs to take 15 hours to solve such problems, but it surely could take that long if you insist on trying to solve the problem by yourself.

Well, I actually don't mind trying to figure out stuff by myself as it makes me understand the software even better. But when problems pops up again and again, it can really annoy the shit out you when you thought you had it figured out. :D

But I'll see if I can't figure it out this time as well. ;)

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I assume both of your problems are videos and not Live TV because you said "videos"

I would suggest anyone having problems to do the following 3 steps

1. Change everything to LAV. (Use default audio renderer not MP audio renderer)

quick-mpconfig02-jpg.130452

2. Configure LAV

quick-lav-video-jpg.130453

AMD HD4XXX / HD5XXX - Choose DXVA (native)
    AMD HD6XXX / HD7XXX - Choose DXVA (copy back) [If stutter problems change to native]
    Nvidia - Choose Nvidia CUVID, and enable adaptive HW deinterlacing, output: 50p/60p
    Intel - Choose Intel QuickSync
    Low end GPU that doesn't do HW accleration, choose none

3. Check Renderer has correct setting (Should be fine unless you fiddled with it)
    Mp Config -> Codecs & Renderer -> Renderer
    Win XP - Choose VMR9
    Win Vista/7/8 - Choose EVR

Most playback problems with MediaPortal arise from 3 things
    1. Other software interfering with MediaPortal (eg. you've installed other codecs)
    2. Insufficient hardware (eg. trying to use an HD4250 to watch Live TV HD 1080i with DXVA on). MP has higher hardware requirements than other software because it does more.
    3. Changing the default settings and not using LAV as recommended

More info:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-perfect-playback-display-calibration.119610/[DOUBLEPOST=1371789924][/DOUBLEPOST]@g1r2e3g @pody - If you setup a remote desktop assistance I am happy to correct your setup.

Last edited:

pody

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    DXVA2 (native) might've actually done it for me since I have a Radeon HD 5770. But lets just see now. I'm gonna watch a full movie and see if it is indeed smooth sailing throughout.

Thanks for taking your time kiwi without even being asked too. Hopefully g1r2eg might give it a try as well.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah I just read the thread, the problem is that he has been trying to troubleshoot by changing multiple settings that he doesn't understand. eg turning on ydaif deinterlacing in LAV when he has an HD4XXX GPU (this will force it into software mode)

EDIT: The best fix when someone has been trying multiple self directed methods of fixing a problem (codec packs, changing settings, changing drivers,...) is usually to format the PC and have someone who knows what they are doing give advice. There is also unfortunately the occasional bit of wrong advice given on the forums too :)

Last edited:

pody

Portal Pro
    March 20, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thankfully it seems like the stuttering is all but gone. Lets hope it stays that way from now on.

Thanks again for the help! (y)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom