VIDEO_TS folder playback problems but only from WD-3tb (1 Viewer)

Tesla

Portal Pro
January 30, 2009
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So the difference seems to be that DvdValidUopsChange event. Everything else really appears to be identical before that.

To be honest, I'm out of my depth in this code. We need someone like tourettes to take a look... :sorry:

mm

No problem at all. I really appreciate you taking the time to look.

Do you think Tourettes or someone else will have a chance to take a took? I'll leave the system they way it is in case anyone needs me to try something or get more logs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I can only ask. I'm sitting on IRC at the moment; I'll speak to tourettes if/when he comes online and see what he says.

mm
    :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

I spoke to tourettes briefly. We wonder: what are you using as the DVD navigator (in the DVD codec setting area), and what options are available? Also, how are you ripping these discs - could copy protection be having an effect?

mm

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    Hi again

I spoke to tourettes briefly. We wonder: what are you using as the DVD navigator (in the DVD codec setting area), and what options are available? Also, how are you ripping these discs - could copy protection be having an effect?

mm

I've never changed the DVD Navigator on this or any install. I'm not really sure what it's for exactly. It's still set to "DVD Navigator" . The other (un-selected) choice is "CyberLink DVD Navigator (PDVD9)"

I'm ripping with the DVDFab these days. I don't think there is any protection left on these files. Also, they play fine from every HDD other disc on the system (including a small external 500gb slow 5400rpm 2.5" USB-2 WD Elements drive).

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What happens if you try the Cyberlink navigator? That would be what PDVD is using.

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    What happens if you try the Cyberlink navigator? That would be what PDVD is using.

Well, believe it or not, it finally allows Madagascar to start and play from the WD-3tb. However, MediaPortal is now very un-stable and crashes a lot when playing DVD Folders (from any drive).

While this doesn't appear to be an acceptable work-around (due to the crashing) I think you have managed to narrow down what part of MediaPortal is not working properly with the WD-3tb. It seems to have something to do with the "DVD Navigator".

My MediaPortal install is very stable and really never crashes. Previously, with the WD-3tb problem ... it would "bail-out" and return to the File Menu ... but it never crashed to the desktop. Using this change, almost any time you Pause, FF, Chapter Skip, etc ... it crashes to the desktop.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Tesla

The DVD navigator is not one of our components - I believe it is actually a Microsoft component which is bundled with the operating system. There are various DVD navigators available including the Cyberlink one. Most software houses that offer reasonably advanced/DVD playing software have their own. In other words, I guess what I'm saying is that this issue is out of our control. If the particular DVD navigator that you're using can't handle the DVD structure of the particular discs that you're wanting to view when the files are on that specific drive then there is very little we can do about it. This was essentially shown by my earlier debug which printed the events generated by the navigator - it is the navigator that is erroneously saying that playback should be stopped when playing a disc from the 3TB drive. It does seem bizarre that the HDD would make a difference, but I think in this case we shouldn't underestimate the potential issues caused by the HDD in question having 4 kB sectors instead of 512 B sectors. The Microsoft DVD navigator in XP was written before advanced format drives had come into existence so it is entirely possible that it would have problems with these drives.

Having said that, could you please post logs showing the crash to desktop. I may at least be able to discover the source of that crash and see if we can do something about it. It may be a case of trying other codecs to resolve that, but at least you'd know.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom