Videoplayback randomly stops - EVR errors? (1 Viewer)

GaryMartynUK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2012
    Portsmouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
    When playing back a video (MKV format or MP4 format). The playback tends to stop randomly (usually only once per movie, sometimes not at all).
    When I look in the logs the Mediaportal log seems to imply the video has just ended and the messages look like those from a film ending normally.
    In the EVR log the earliest signal of the videoending is an
    [fb8]ProcessMessage MFVP_MESSAGE_ENDOFSTREAM
    again implying that the video has come to an end I believe.
    I'm about to try non EVR and then if needs be roll back to 1.3.0 as this used to work on the same machine with the same driver versions without showing this problem. However I would be grateful if someone in the know could check over the logs and let me know if anything seems out of place.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Hard to tell, I simply play a video and sometimes it randomly stops with no other input.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryMartynUK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2012
    Portsmouth
    Home Country
    Update, so switching to VMR has not really helped. I have not seen the video randomly stop, but with MP 1.4.0 in VMR mode on Windows 7 x64 when you press the stop button, the screen goes blank then the film continues playing but now none of the remote buttons works and with the keyboard all I can do then is reboot the machine. So VMR causes bigger issues.

I'll try 1.3.0 again and see how that gets on, used to be fine, the problem I had with 1.3 was the 'big screen/small screen' issue as I run my Media PC through an amp into the TV.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    From your MediaPortal.log:
    Code:
    [2013-08-13 14:08:07,565] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (IsAnyCardRecording) An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
    [2013-08-13 14:08:08,568] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [INFO ] - RemoteControl - Connected
    [2013-08-13 14:08:10,576] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (IsAnyCardRecording) A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network 192.168.0.9:31456
    [2013-08-13 14:08:11,578] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [INFO ] - RemoteControl - Connected
    [2013-08-13 14:08:13,586] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [ERROR] - TvServer: Failed to execute remote TV server operation (IsAnyCardRecording) A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable network 192.168.0.9:31456
    [2013-08-13 14:08:13,589] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [INFO ] - RemoteControl - Connected
    [2013-08-13 14:08:15,600] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [INFO ] - RemoteControl - Connected
    [2013-08-13 14:08:16,605] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [INFO ] - RemoteControl - Connected
    [2013-08-13 14:08:17,611] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [INFO ] - RemoteControl - Connected
    [2013-08-13 14:08:18,617] [Log	] [TvClient-TvHome: HeartBeat transmitter thread] [INFO ] - RemoteControl - Connected

....this probably means your network connection dropped out, and you were playing a movie from a remote drive - the file splitter (LAV Splitter in this case) would have generated the 'end of stream' message to MP player - presumably because the file reads were failing due to no network connection....

GaryMartynUK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2012
    Portsmouth
    Home Country
    Owlsroost,

Thanks for the input, I had noticed the heartbeat errors, but without fully engaging my brain wrote them off as they happened after the stream end was detected, but of course the TV client only poles the network at set intervals so it is very unlikely to notice a network drop out before a streamed video would, it makes sense things would happen in this order (engage brain and try tracing the problem again Gary, DOH!). It indeed looks like this is a network card / router error.

In hind site, I upgraded the motherboard recently as well (only a week or two before installing 1.4), so it could be driver issues or the hubs/router need resetting (it's been months since they were last power cycled).

I hate trying to nail down network issues, takes forever, but I now know where to focus my efforts.... thank you :)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Update, so switching to VMR has not really helped. I have not seen the video randomly stop, but with MP 1.4.0 in VMR mode on Windows 7 x64 when you press the stop button, the screen goes blank then the film continues playing but now none of the remote buttons works and with the keyboard all I can do then is reboot the machine. So VMR causes bigger issues.

Best is to stick with EVR rendering on a Win 7 system.

As this seems related to a network issues, i'll set this to No Bug for now.
    Let us know if you run into issues again ;)

Some Network tips:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/network-speed-problems.109583/page-2#post-886452

Last edited:

GaryMartynUK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2012
    Portsmouth
    Home Country
    HomeY,

Yes exactly as Owlsroost pointed out, I missed the indications of the Heartbeat errors. Once I was looking in the right direction a network driver update fixed the problem, I've watched a few movies this week (on holiday) and it has not dropped the video stream once. So certainly nothing wrong with MP. Just coincidence of timing, motherboard change and 1.3 -> 1.4 upgrade happening around the same time.

Thanks for all the support as always though!

quixote23

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey,

I've actually been noticing this exact same issue coming up in the last couple of weeks, and I'm not running from a network drive at all (the files are all being played from a local drive). I've been completely baffled by it since it seems like other than this thread, no one else has experienced a similar issue. I haven't made any changes to my system, haven't applied any updates or changed my video drivers or codecs, or anything I can think of at all - it literally just started happening out of the blue it seems.

If anyone can give me any feedback on this, I'd appreciate it. It's starting to cause a lot of frustration for the wife.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    In the logs, when was the unexpected stop ?

There is only one evr.log, and that is for playing a " Y:\Videos\TV Shows\-= Cartoons =-\Dan Vs. Season 2\Dan Vs. - s02e14 - Reality TV.mkv", which plays for 22 minutes before it gets 'end of stream' (which seems a reasonable playing time for a cartoon).

quixote23

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'm noticing it anywhere from 16 minutes to 24 minutes for the first random stop, and then multiple times after than (depending on video length - a 22 minute episode will usually only stop once, while a movie might stop 2-3 times). I'll attach updated logs. If anyone could shed light on this it would be much appreciated.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    An audio renderer device is coming and going:
    [2013-09-02 20:10:30,174] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - Main: Audio Renderer High Definition Audio Device removed
    [2013-09-02 20:10:30,177] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - g_Player.doStop() keepTimeShifting = False keepExclusiveModeOn = False
    [2013-09-02 20:10:30,177] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - g_Player.OnStopped()

This is not a bug. Please see here for details:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...yback-stops-without-user-intervention.121195/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom