Videoplayback randomly stops - EVR errors? (1 Viewer)

quixote23

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks! That seems to have (maybe) done the trick. I've only watched a 42min show thus far but it didn't randomly stop, so I have a good feeling about this.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks! That seems to have (maybe) done the trick. I've only watched a 42min show thus far but it didn't randomly stop, so I have a good feeling about this.
    Great. :)
    Note that stopping playback is a safety mechanism designed to avoid crashes, so we recommend actually figuring out what device is connecting and disconnecting rather than just "blindly" disabling that option... but what you do is up to you.

quixote23

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'll definitely take a look, but I'm not sure what it could be. I don't have any bluetooth devices, and I haven't made any changes or additions to my system lately... I'll have to investigate and see what I can find out.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I suspect it may be an HDMI + AV receiver thing, but I have no way to prove that.

GaryMartynUK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2012
    Portsmouth
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So this is not an MP bug, but a continuation of what I previously thought might be a bug. So please do move this post if it is in the wrong place.

Previously I posted that I was getting random stream ends when playing network media files. The suggestion was to look at my network as the TV client was posting heartbeat errors indicating that the network was dropping. I installed an update driver and it worked for an evening, but it no seems that was co-incidence, not a fix.

I am still getting the problem, but have done some investigation.....

I have replace the network switch and installed a PCI network card (disabling the onboard ethernet). I still get the same error, so implies it is probably not a network problem.
    I installed XBMC momentarily to test and it too dropped the video part way through. So this is clearly not a MP problem. (now things get tougher!)
    I noticed the drop outs tended to be about once an hour, so maybe not random.

I checked my MP logs against my Windows logs and it seems the TV client heartbeat errors and stream ends seem to be logged within 1-2 seconds of the WinHTTP auto proxy service starting.

So I have disabled the service and will now test this over the next few days, but wondered if anyone had any idea why this would cause problems or if this has been noted anywhere else before?

Also out of interest I changed my TV client config to point at 127.0.0.1 (although in the log it still shows my actual machine IP) but whilst there appear to be TV service heart beat problems I have never once had TV playback fail, I guess because it is actually playing recording from a local file and I don't watch much live TV (am I right to assume that a network loss would only affect live stream, not recorded on the local machine?, or does the TV CLient network stream recorded programs from the TV Service on the local machine as well? in which case any idea why this would not drop out?

Update: Just found this http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/233135-winhttp-web-proxy-internet-dropout.html
    Seems I may just have an odd issue in Windows (despite it being a fresh install as the last install had the same problem). Finger crossed.

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Also out of interest I changed my TV client config to point at 127.0.0.1 (although in the log it still shows my actual machine IP) but whilst there appear to be TV service heart beat problem I have never one had TV playback fail, I guess because it is actually playing recording from a local file and I don't watch much live TV (am I right to assume that a network loss would only affect live stream, not recorded on the local machine?, or does the TV CLient network stream recorded programs from the TV Service on the local machine as well? in which case any idea why this would not drop out?

If TV server and client are on the same PC, and the hostname is the local PC (or 127.0.0.1 - 'localhost'), then MP assumes it's a single-seat system and plays the timeshift and recording files directly, but it always uses the network for control/status communications between client, server and database (so you always need a working 'network' system, even if there is no external connection to it - Windows handles this situation automatically).

GaryMartynUK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2012
    Portsmouth
    Home Country
    Also out of interest I changed my TV client config to point at 127.0.0.1 (although in the log it still shows my actual machine IP) but whilst there appear to be TV service heart beat problem I have never one had TV playback fail, I guess because it is actually playing recording from a local file and I don't watch much live TV (am I right to assume that a network loss would only affect live stream, not recorded on the local machine?, or does the TV CLient network stream recorded programs from the TV Service on the local machine as well? in which case any idea why this would not drop out?

If TV server and client are on the same PC, and the hostname is the local PC (or 127.0.0.1 - 'localhost'), then MP assumes it's a single-seat system and plays the timeshift and recording files directly, but it always uses the network for control/status communications between client, server and database (so you always need a working 'network' system, even if there is no external connection to it - Windows handles this situation automatically).

Thanks Owlsroost. That explains a lot.

GaryMartynUK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2012
    Portsmouth
    Home Country
    As is always the way with an 'intermittent' problem, you can never be quite sure you have actually fixed it, but after several days of no repeats I think I have found the culprit.... a different switch in my network seems to have been the cause of the dropped streams from my media server. Thanks for all the help everyone the advice helped me narrow down the cause an root out the little beggar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom