[no Bug] Virtual keyboard issues (1 Viewer)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    IMO, there is nothing to fix, at least not for 1.2, other then making SMS and STANDARD input modes more distinguishable.

That's the whole point :). If it tricked me, than I think it will trick many :).

I've got to be honest, I don't see the logic for making the SMS keyboard behave differently in this way.

The onscreen keyboard has a 'delete' button, so if someone wishes to delete something, there is no reason why they cannot use it. The only difference between normal and SMS data entry is the ability to type letters by using the number keys on the remote.

Longer term, it would be nice to have skinnable normal and SMS keyboards, so that a user can clearly understand which keyboard they are using and how it should behave. However, this is not for 1.2.

Mark

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I see one advantage - faster to delete and confirm, without the need to scroll back and forth from DONE to DELETE.

Also, if you take a closer look, there are some other differences in SMS input mode. For example UP in the most upper row toggles SHIFT, which is also cool.

IMO, in SMS mode, user should always be on DONE button, without any need to scroll through the buttons, which is currently possible.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Also, if you take a closer look, there are some other differences in SMS input mode. For example UP in the most upper row toggles SHIFT, which is also cool.

Is this feature documented anywhere? I could not find it.

The bottom line is that everything should either be inituitive or documented. Some of these aspects are not behaviour you would guess or expect.

I don't think we should sort everything for 1.2.0, as it is too risky, but we should find ways of making things more intuitive for 1.3.0.

Mark

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    I think that's the way SMS worked since first implementation. It probably wasn't documented but it's not something hard to notice if you actually use SMS input mode, at least that's how I noticed it on my HTPC :)

As I said, only thing that needs to be sorted for 1.2 is making the SMS and STANDARD modes more distinguishable.

As for this thread, it should be marked as "no bug":

1. Not a bug
    2. After we decide how to distinguish two modes, will probably no longer be issue
    3. New feature
    4. New feature / already in mantis

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I agree, there is no bug. Thanks SilentException for your great comments and thanks everybody for useful (I hope:) discussion.

In the meantime maybe the team should add something like "feature request" tag for marking some bug reports instead of "no bug". Sometimes something that looks like a bug appears to be "expected behaviour". In fact, some of these situations may require more attention, maybe an entry in mantis, and more follow up work then just "no bug".

As for this thread, it should be marked as "no bug":

1. Not a bug
    2. After we decide how to distinguish two modes, will probably no longer be issue
    3. New feature
    4. New feature / already in mantis

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I agree, there is no bug. Thanks SilentException for your great comments and thanks everybody for useful (I hope:) discussion.

In the meantime maybe the team should add something like "feature request" tag for marking some bug reports instead of "no bug". Sometimes something that looks like a bug appears to be "expected behaviour". In fact, some of these situations may require more attention, maybe an entry in mantis, and more follow up work then just "no bug".

We have a feature request forum. But we are already working on VK usability issue, so there is no need to make a suggestion for this.

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Hi!

I've just committed r27967 that will hopefully solve input mode confusion.

Screenshots will tell it better than words :)

Attachments

• 18-56-09.png
      18-56-09.png
      472 KB
    • 18-56-14.png
      18-56-14.png
      485 KB

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Looks really cool! When you toggle between regular and SMS keyboard, don't you think the SMS button should also change to show the alternative/opposite choice?

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I was able to use national layouts by just changing the language bar properties. The onscreen layout didn't change, but I was able to use regular keyboard and enter the text. But in 1.2.1 something has changed, can't swith the languages anymore.

maximuz

Portal Member
    February 24, 2008
    Stavropol region, Zheleznovodsk
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    I was able to use national layouts by just changing the language bar properties. The onscreen layout didn't change, but I was able to use regular keyboard and enter the text. But in 1.2.1 something has changed, can't swith the languages anymore.

Yes in all previous versions language can't be switched on virtual keyboard, but I was able to switch language on regular keyboard too. On 1.2.1 even regular keyboard don't switch language, it's very strange thing why MP can view system default language but cannot input it. There's something wrong in code of 1.2.1 i'ts such a straight forward thing, any primitive programm can input any system language but not MP 1.2.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom