VISTA: Bitperfection - Reclock or only ASIO? (1 Viewer)

floepie

Portal Pro
November 5, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi, Is there any current method of using Reclock, which now apparently supports Vista's internal WASAPI scheme to enable bitperfect audio, with Mediaportal? I don't have a dedicated audio card - only using Realtek's ALC888 HD audio with SPDIF out to receiver. And, ASIO4ALL does not work with this onboard audio.

I understand that some may be working on an explicit WASAPI implementation as a plugin, but it's not complete.

Thanks...

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just select Reclock as the audio renderer (for Video and DVD at least, it isn't very usable with live TV)....

It should work for Music if using Direct Show for playing, but I've never tried it.

Tony

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    OK, thanks. I can't seem to get it to work with pure audio files. Perhaps my settings need to be adjusted. Is there anyone that has successfully achieved bitperfect audio using Reclock?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In Reclock config, have you tried setting "slave clock reference to audio" and media adaptation speed to "original speed ?

As far as I remember from the Reclock forum posts, it is possible to use Reclock with pure audio files, but I've never tried to do it myself.

Tony

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Woah, it works!

So that others can benefit from this:

1. Reboot computer after Reclock is installed.
    2. In the audio tab, change both 'Audio interface for PCM' and 'Audio interface for AC3/SPDIF' to WASAPI.
    3. If you have AC3filter set as a preferred filter, you will need to check 'Output SPDIF as PCM' in the SPDIF tab in order to test whether or not AC3/DTS WAV files are audible (the ultimate way to determine if you have "bitperfect" audio).
    4. In the audio section of Mediaportal settings, you will have to switch from the BASS player to the dshow player.

That should be it.

Now, if there were a way to use the BASS player with the Reclock audio renderer, that would be great...

lloydsmart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Hmm... I'm also having trouble with pure audio files. I've got it working great with video, though. Played a recording of Top Gear with 32KHz MP3 sound, and sure enough my amp showed it up as Stereo 32KHz. Fantastic! It also doesn't get in the way when I want to play AC3 or DTS, which is nice. My bitstreaming still works as it always has.

Now I just need to get it working with my MP3, FLAC, M4A and WMA files and I'll be set.

Any help much appreciated!

:D

P.S. I've signed up to the Slysoft forums, but I'm not sure weather I should post because I don't want a snooty reply like "use the search function" even though I don't really know what to search for.

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    You are using Vista, aren't you? Reclock gains access to the built-in WASAPI exclusive mode when it is selected as long as the directshow audio renderer is the preferred renderer. That means you have to switch from the bass player to the directshow player to properly call up the directshow audio renderer.

lloydsmart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Thanks floepie. I've done some digging around (read: playing with GraphStudio), and it seems that I can get everything working perfectly so long as it's not 44.1KHz sound. I can play some sample 32KHz stuff I have, aswell as 48KHz tracks, but try a 44.1KHz audio file and nada.

The solution I've got at the moment is a bit "dirty". Basically, I've set ffdshow as my default MP3 decoder, and got it up resample all 44.1KHz stuff to 48KHz for feeding to Reclock. I really want to avoid this if possible, and just use 44.1KHz all the way, but when I try that my amp just gets "No Signal". Annoying.

Also, even if I did get it working with 44.1KHz sound, I have a problem with selective loading of reclock. Maybe I'm being a bit picky but I don't want to have to get the mouse out and choose weather to load reclock every time I play some audio in MP. I can't, either, set Reclock to automatically load for all sound in MP, because there are some tracks I don't want it for, such as DD and DTS tracks, for example, which are sent bitstream to my amp. Is there a way to make it only load for certain types of audio track? Specifically stereo ones are what I have in mind.

floepie

Portal Pro
    November 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Do you have 44.1 as the default frequency your default directsound device will output? (playback device properties). Have you selected 44.1 as one of the frequencies your receiver will accept? These are both Vista audio settings (not found in Reclock).

You can choose to have Reclock simply pass through DTS and AC3 in the Reclock settings to have the audio unadulterated, unless of course, you choose to have the audio, and hence, the video, sped up ever so slightly to 24 fps, in which case, you would still be able to send the AC3 and DTS in their compressed form. But, you would only do that if you had a monitor which supports a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24. Otherwise, there is no need. Hope that helps..

lloydsmart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 10, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Well, here is what I have in my "Supported Formats" dialog in the "Sound" control panel:

supform.png

Is that what I should have? If so any idea what my 44.1KHz problem is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom