Operating System Vista Task Sceduler - No Next Run Time After Reboot (1 Viewer)

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi All,

I have decided to create a task using Task Scheduler to preiodically reboot my machine automatically. I have done this sucessfully using Task Scheduler and executing the shutdown.exe file in the "system 32" directory with parameters to shutdown and restart. The idea here is just to refresh the machine periodically.

Anyway, the task is doing exactly what I want, except it will not reschedule for the next time i.e. the "Next Run Time"

I have searched everywhere to see if someone else has had this issue and found one forum on Google without any replies - interesting it was also a machine with Vista loaded and was logged in April 2009 - could be a windows update issue?

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Graham

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Noticed tonight without a reboot the machine did not wake to record, where as the reboot seems to fix this issue, so keen to get any help on getting this working !!!

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    What triggers have you set in the schedule, and the conditions? I tried a similar schedule (to reboot the PC every week) a few months ago, but didn't get very far. However, the 'next run time' worked fine. If the triggers and conditions are not set correctly, then it can cause problems with the scheduling.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Actions are:

c:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe (arguments /g /t 30)

Triggers are:

- begin task on a schedule
    - daily
    - start (I always put the next start date in)
    - all Advanced boxes unticked except enabled

Everything else is a default settings

The task works the first time, but does not re-schedule.

Would appreciate any help.

Regards

Graham

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All,

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated - must be simple!! Other tasks I setup also have the same issue i.e. does not re-schedule after a reboot - either manual reboot or automated.

Cheers

Graham

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just a thought, is this a full admin account which is password protected, as you cannot schedule anything without, should ask you for password when you schedule an event, does this happen :)

Mine is and everything just works, but you then may want the other options, like booting straight into Vista with no login, and set standby to not want password on resume.

automatic account logon vista, automatically logic to user in vista, select default account to log on in vista, logon automatically with default selected user account, » Triponic

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ah Ray, fancy hearing from you again :D Thanks for your reply.

I have setup my own login with Administrator rights and removed the password protection on login in order for my machine to reboot through Task Scheduler and logon automatically. I setup the Task Scheduler logged in as this user.

To answer your question, no, the Task Scheduler does not ask for my password when I setup the routine - should it?

Yeah, I don't want the machine to ask for a password after waking from sleep or on login, otherwise it will stall wakeup and the automated reboot task.

I'm wondering whether I should be setting up the reboot routine logged in as the Administrator as opposed to a user with Administrator rights.

Keen as always to hear you thoughts.

Regards

Graham

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    To answer your question, no, the Task Scheduler does not ask for my password when I setup the routine - should it?

As I have always needed to put password in, have considered this to be normal, and I'm certain of reading about scheduling tasks did not work correctly without a password.

Scheduled Tasks cannot run with a blank password

I'm wondering whether I should be setting up the reboot routine logged in as the Administrator as opposed to a user with Administrator rights.

I always work from the full admin account Make your Vista's admin account acts like in XP - Neowin Forums

Really think this is why I seem to have very few issues, compared to a lot of users with Vista as their OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom