Operating System Vista Task Sceduler - No Next Run Time After Reboot (1 Viewer)

gperkinson

Portal Pro
October 28, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi,

Good to hear the reboot routine is working!! Are you going to continue to use it? For me, it seems to solve missed recordings and loss of sound (currently in another post)

You know how I mentioned previously that if I simply opened the reboot task properties and clicked OK the next scheduled task would be set? I'm still wondering if I could do that as a "bat" file and run when the machine has re-booted under the existing user - do you think that would ever work?

Regards

Graham

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

After the second unattended reboot, everything is working well :)

I have decided to continue using the HTPC with the full admin account, which as Paranoid Delusion mentioned, seems to keep everything working quite smoothly.

gperkinson said:
    You know how I mentioned previously that if I simply opened the reboot task properties and clicked OK the next scheduled task would be set? I'm still wondering if I could do that as a "bat" file and run when the machine has re-booted under the existing user - do you think that would ever work?
    You might be able to start a batch file upon startup (put a link in the startup folder) if there is an option in the schtasks.exe command. When I tried the reboot script in the startup folder the other day, it almost worked. I needed to have it create the schedule to run once. The problem was that it would try to create the same schedule and throw an error upon the next reboot, effectively rendering the schedule useless. There might be a way to have it delete the previous schedule before re-creating it - perhaps using 2 'schtasks.exe' commands in the one batch script. This would prevent an error caused by trying to create a schedule that has already been created. I think that might be the only way you can do this from a normal user account.

Let me know how you go.

MLH01.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi MLH01,

Thanks for the reply. Great to know this works well as I struggle to get the time to test things like this with work the way it is - much appreciated. I will certainly implement the Administrator A/c as you have done at some point and in the meantime just manually set the next runtime reboot by selecting and unselecting the properties. The reboot has certainly helped with more reliable waking from sleep and recordings which were previously often missed.

I'm also wondering if the Administrator A/c will help with waking routines as mentioned above?

Also, is there an option to rename the Administrator A/c back to the User A/c I was using before so I don't have to "repoint" anything?

Thanks again for your help and will let you know how I go.

Regards

Graham

Hi Ray,

Not sure if you are keeping up with this Forum, but MLH01 has tested using the Administrator A/c that you suggested and it's all going well, so your suggestion is spot on - thanks!!!

Quick question, did you find the Administrator A/c helped with waking routines on your machine i.e. help with resolving missed recordings after not waking from sleep? Also, I'm finding that sometimes the machine still goes to sleep when I have asked it to stay awake in Powerscheduler between certain periods of time. I regulary miss recordings where the machine has to swap between the DVB-T card and Analog Card i.e. record and Analog Channel (we have Prime TV over here in Kiwiland on Analog ...... it's Top Gear I'm referring to :p)

Cheers

Graham

MLH01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi MLH01,
    I'm also wondering if the Administrator A/c will help with waking routines as mentioned above?
    I'm not entirely sure if it helps with standby/resume. It may help in cases if UAC is required on shutdown or after reboot (very rare I would imagine), as UAC is not active on the full admin account by default.

Also, is there an option to rename the Administrator A/c back to the User A/c I was using before so I don't have to "repoint" anything?
    Yes, just run cmd.exe from the start menu and use
    Code:
    net user <username> /active:yes
    (where <username> is your original username) to re-enable the original user, and then
    Code:
    net user Administrator /active:no
    to disable (hide) the full admin account.

Make sure that the <username> account has admin priveleges (the account created when you installed Vista for example), or you may not be able to do certain things that require an admin account if that makes sense? Read my earlier post about ensuring that you enable one admin account before disabling another for more information :)

Hope this helps.
    MLH01.

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi MLH01,

I know it has been a while since you provided your solution to my re-boot issue with Vista and I have to be honest and say it has only been during the holidays that I have had time to look at this again!!

Anyhow, I figured out that I could add the "shutdown.exe" script which I had in Task Scheduler to the end of my daily EPG download scheduled daily in Powerscheduler to re-boot my machine each time, which was perfect as I wanted to do it after the EPG download, which I currently do in a "bat" file anyway within the command line within Powerscheduler.

The re-boot daily seems to make a big difference to system performance (finger crossed)

I just wanted to write a quick note as I appreciated your detailed response.

Regards

Graham

gperkinson

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi All,

If anyone is interested, I have worked out a routine to schedule a "next run time" after an automated re-boot without activating the full Administrator. The routine can also include any other tasks such as disk defrag, disk cleanup etc etc run through a command line.

Let me know if you are interested and I will drop some details.

Cheers

Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom