VMR9 Incorrect Brightness / Gamma for Video (2 Viewers)

anything

Portal Member
April 20, 2005
Perth, Australia
i used to have this problem, but all VMR9 playback was washed out not some. as far as i could tell PowerDVD/WinDVD dont use VMR9 so the problem isnt VMR9 behaving differently between programs.

solution: calibrate your display correctly! if your display is calibrated correctly then the difference between black 0 in overlay and black 16 in VMR9 is not noticible. if you want to make black 0 in VMR9 you HAVE to colour adjust in the graphics drivers.

YYota

Portal Pro
May 14, 2005
Your solution is wrong.

Videos have the right brightness when played outside of MP => Display IS calibrated correctly. This is a MP issue only as already stated before.

Any other idea? :)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    YYota said:
    Any other idea? :)
    Yes, I solved this problem by using the nVIDIA PureVideo decoder within all video sections of MediaPortal, and using the video controls within the PureVideo decoder to get the brightness corrected.

I found that I had to reduce the brightness to get the correct black level, increase the contrast to get the correct white level, and then adjust the saturation to get the correct colour balance. Its a bit of fiddling, but once done, it is superb! And, doing it this way does not disturb any other applications or the desktop display..... :D

You can access the PureVideo contols from the little nVIDIA icon in the System Tray when the decoder is in use.

thkogel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2006
    germany
    works the nVIDIA PureVideo decoder with the ati cards?
    Or only with nVIDIA.

I have the same problem with vmr9, Overlay locks perfect.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    thkogel said:
    works the nVIDIA PureVideo decoder with the ati cards?
    Works perfectly with the ATI cards - I use a 9550 and it looks great! Excellent de-interlacing and minimal motion artifacts - the best video decoder available IMHO.... :)

anything

Portal Member
    April 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    tweaking the nVidia decoders is a fine solution but what happens when you play an avi,wmv or any other non mpeg2 video?

YYota: what VMR9 media player outside of MediaPortal have you tested? are you sure its running in VMR9?

Taipan: i used to think nVidia decoders were the best with their fancy deinterlacing, but since then ive found deinterlacing is rubbish!
    purevideo always deinterlaces 7 HD so it loses half its lines and it deinterlaces DVD's so edges are stair stepped.

thkogel

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2006
    germany
    thx Taipan. I am going to test it.
    I have only a Mainboard with ATI Chipset with ATI Xpress200 graphics.
    I hope the nVidia codec works with it.

Mutly

Portal Member
    November 16, 2005
    I had the same issue with my ATI card. I tried fiddling contrasts and brightness to no effect. The fix for me was very simple in the end.

Turn off 'use Exclusive DirectX Mode for full screen tv/video'

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    anything said:
    Taipan: i used to think nVidia decoders were the best with their fancy deinterlacing, but since then ive found deinterlacing is rubbish!
    purevideo always deinterlaces 7 HD so it loses half its lines and it deinterlaces DVD's so edges are stair stepped.
    Hi anything - I am interested in your comments - what video decoder do you use then?
    I don't get the problems you have described (well, not that I have noticed)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom