Volume goes from zero to one hunder percent and vice vesrsa. (1 Viewer)

Alan D

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2016
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I am having problems with getting MediaPortal to work with a Microsoft remote, (Pictures of which are attached)

The problem is that I can’t get the volume to control correctly, it will go from zero (or anywhere it starts from) to 100%, with no stops in between, then 100% to zero, again no stopping.

I thought I had come across the answer with Donald J. Michaud’s solution (copied here as I haven’t found out how or if you can link to other post yet (flippin newbie’s))

Donald’s remarks follow:

“I have gone through all of the settings. What appears to have fixed the problem is the HID remote being turned off and the Media settings all being turn on. I am running with MP version 1.12. djm”.

Back to me:

But unfortunately, although it cured the volume problem, I couldn’t use the back button, guide button, Recorded TV button, and a few other buttons,

My system that is having the problem is built on an Intel NUC Pentium N3700 HDMI (NUC5PPYH), 360 Gigabyte HDD.

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 1511

OS Build 10586.71

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) N3700 @ 1.60 GHz

Installed RAM 4.00 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

MediaPortal 1.12.0

I’m running it as a client, my server is in the lounge, and that is running quite nicely at the moment (crossing my fingers that I’m not jinxing it right now).

As far as I know, the remote is a genuine Microsoft model, it came with a large sensor that is being used with the server, but the NUC has a sensor built in, that does what it should as it can control other programs such as Media player without any problem.

My thoughts on the matter are.

Do MediaPortal and Windows have their own volume controls, and are they conflicting in anyway? Just a thought.

Pictures of remote.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u28epxpbjxyb2k5/DSC_0085.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcyf912q9rfdjdx/DSC_0086.JPG?dl=0

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    As far as I know, the remote is a genuine Microsoft model, it came with a large sensor that is being used with the server, but the NUC has a sensor built in, that does what it should as it can control other programs such as Media player without any problem
    Thank you for adding the photographs of your remote. (y) (For future reference, you can use the "Upload a File" button to upload them to the MediaPortal website, instead of using a third-party website.)

I think that the problem is that you are trying to use the built-in IR receiver in your NUC. May I ask you to temporarily move the Microsoft IR receiver from the server to the NUC and see if it works correctly with the "Generic HID" enabled in "MP Config"? You will need to go into Windows "Device Manager" and disable the NUC's IR receiver device before performing this test. I suspect that the Microsoft IR receiver will work without problem, but please confirm this.

So what is the fix? This is where my knowledge is exhausted, as I don't know anything about the NUC's IR receiver and what signals it is expecting. Hopefully @Stéphane Lenclud will have some knowledge of this device.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Alan D

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2016
    Home Country
    CyberSimian, Thank you for your quick reply,

I will try that out tomorrow and let you know the results.

Once again thank you.

Alan

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    May I ask you to temporarily move the Microsoft IR receiver from the server to the NUC
    Having two IR receivers plugged on the same machine is often just asking for trouble :)

You can test that your remote/receiver is working fine using our HID Demo.
    Do post logs and screenshots from your HID Demo experiments here.

You could try installing that build provided as part of our fix for Mute and Volume issues and see if it helps.

Alan D

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2016
    Home Country
    I apologize for not answering sooner; the reason is that I had to completely uninstall MediaPortal and reinstall.

I did the thing that Stéphane said was not a good idea, I plugged the Microsoft sensor in, covered the inbuilt sensor with aluminium foil to block its view (couldn’t find the right file for it in Device manager). And yes the volume bar climbed smoothly, and correctly, but did not alter the sound level, so I removed the Microsoft sensor and the foil, but then nothing worked with the Microsoft remote or the Logitech keyboard, I rebooted the system, restarted MediaPortal, and got some functions back, but very sporadically.

I then decided to go up to 1.13.0, I still had the same problem with the remote, and I couldn’t seem to get 5.1 surround working (but that is not a problem I am worried about at this time.

Anyway I have now reinstalled 1.12.0, (thankfully MediaPortal has the VERY handy uninstall program with it that removes everything) and I am back to where I was, Phew!

I have now decided to buy another surround sound system, that has its own remote that the Microsoft remote can learn, thereby removing the need to control the computers volume.

And as others may come across this problem with NUCs, I ran the HID Demo program, and I am copying and pasting the results for you, so maybe you can find a solution to this anomaly.

Hope this can help, (and hope my new sound system works);)

The order I used was, volume UP, volume DOWN, MUTE.

WM_INPUT: msg=0xff hwnd=0x4026e wparam=0x0 lparam=0x150553 result=0x0

==================== HID Event ====================

==================== HID Device ====================

==== Name: \\?\HID#ITEirDevice&Col01#5&15fb36ef&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

==== Manufacturer:

==== Product:

==== VendorID: 0x8704

==== ProductID: 0x048D

==== Version: 257

====================================================

==== Generic

==== Foreground: True

==== UsagePage: 0x000C

==== UsageCollection: 0x0001

==== InputReport: 0x01E900

==== Usage: 0x00E9

===================================================

WM_INPUT: msg=0xff hwnd=0x4026e wparam=0x0 lparam=0x1101cd result=0x0

==== Name: \\?\HID#ITEirDevice&Col01#5&15fb36ef&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}

==== Manufacturer:

==== Product:

==== Generic

==== InputReport: 0x01EA00

==== Usage: 0x00EA

WM_INPUT: msg=0xff hwnd=0x4026e wparam=0x0 lparam=0x4a01cd result=0x0

==== Manufacturer:

==== Product:

==== Generic

==== InputReport: 0x01E200

==== Usage: 0x00E2

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Interesting thanks for testing that stuff.
    Screenshots from the HID Demo Messages tab as you use the volume keys would be nice.
    However if you don't need this fixed any more you really don't need to bother.

Alan D

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2016
    Home Country
    Messages tab.jpg
    Devices tab.jpg

It’s no problem Stéphane, I asked for help, and just because I “MAY” have found a way around my situation, there may be others who come up against it in the future so if you can find the reason why it is doing what it is, then others can have a less frustrating time later on.

As I haven’t received my new system yet, my client is still with the problem, so I can run as many test for you as you might meed.[DOUBLEPOST=1454526314][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry! I seem to have made a pig’s ear of uploading the screen shots.

Attachments

• Messages tab.jpg
      Messages tab.jpg
      370.2 KB
    • Devices tab.jpg
      Devices tab.jpg
      275.8 KB
    • Messages tab.jpg
      Messages tab.jpg
      370.2 KB
    • Devices tab.jpg
      Devices tab.jpg
      275.8 KB

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You can use ALT+PRINT to capture just the current application then just paste it in the forums.

Anyway, I got what I need. Your remote receiver does not sends key up events. At least none that our HID implememtation understands. That's why one press of the volume drives it all the way.

You could disable all repeats by editing the config XML file. We could also try to debug further to see if there was something else we could do.

What happens if you keep the volume up key pushed down? Do you just get one message or does it repeats itself?

Alan D

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 12, 2016
    Home Country
    Alt + Print needs a lot of fingers on this keyboard ;)
    Hope this is okay.
    Volume held.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom